Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --alt-preset cbr 256 or ... ? (Read 3735 times) previous topic - next topic

--alt-preset cbr 256 or ... ?

Hi,

I want to archive some CDs, but i have a question related to that

--alt-preset cbr 320/--alt-preset insane is the best isn't?

what about --alt-preset cbr 256? the second best? i prefer that one because of filesizes...

Should i use CBR/VBR and should i use Stereo/Joint-Stereo?

and what about the r3mix 'es settings:

CBR: "-b256 -ms -q0 --lowpass 19.5" ... I prefered this one coz CBR, 256 kbit/s and STEREO... or are there some other ones better...

I hope you can help me... Thank you in advance

Thijs

Reply #1
for LAME mp3:

the --r3mix profile is basically obsolete due to the improvements of dibrom's alt presets...so don't use it.

@ vbr use
--alt-preset standard [under 200kbps average]
--alt-preset extreme [over 200kbps average]

@ cbr use
--alt-preset insane [320kbps constant]

truthfully, i wouldn't use the mp3 format unless you plan on using a portable player or something like that...i would go with psytel aac or musepack.

browse the "general" sections of the mp3, musepack [mpc] and aac forums for information.

for aac downloads:
http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/

for musepack downloads:
http://www.musepack.org/

later
mike

Reply #2
--alt-preset extreme should do just fine IMO and the averages would be ~240kb/s (depending on the music)
\"The true method of knowledge is experiment.\" - William Blake

Reply #3
Or try ABR.  --alt-preset 224 (or 192 for lower bitrates) works well for alot of music.

Reply #4
... and don't believe those guys who tell you "joint stereo is evil!!". They don't know much about up-to-date encoders.