Skip to main content
Topic: Error (Read 3139 times) previous topic - next topic

Error

When ever I try to play anything, I get the following error:

ERROR (foo_output_std) : MMSYSTEM032 The specified format cannot be translated or supported. Use the Capabilities function to view supported formats.

I am using Waveout because whenever I try DirectSound or DirectSound v2.0 it freezes. If I try to look at the DirectSound or DirectSound v2.0 options, it just freezes. Whenever I try to play using DirectSound or DirectSound v2.0 it just freezes.

I am using Win98SE. My soundcard is onboard (SoundMAX). What could be the problem?

Error

Reply #1
Try this: Preferences -> Playback.

This window has the following itens:
Full file buffering, Playback thead priority, Replay Gain, Output, Volume control.

on "Output" check "Output data format".
see if is "16bit fixed-point"

I hope this help.

Error

Reply #2
It is set to 16. It still doesn't work. I have already tried a full, clean install but still no luck.

Error

Reply #3
Foobar worked before or it´s your first try ?

Hum.. I did a fast search with google and got this result.

This is a Windows error that indicates you're trying to play a file that isn't supported by your sound card. The error comes ultimately from your sound card driver. For example, if you try to play a 48khz file on a SoundBlaster 16, you'll get this error, because the SB16 only goes up to 44khz. You should lower the sample rate or adjust whatever other parameters exceed your card's specifications.

Another possible cause: trying to play a 16-bit file on an 8-bit sound card, such as a SoundBlaster Pro

Can you provide more info about your hardware/sound card ?

Error

Reply #4
Sounds a bit odd, apart from trying resampling to 48000 hz, or even 8-bit output, does dxdiag say anything in the sound section, & pass all sound tests?

also got current sound card drivers (etc.)? winamp2 etc. works fine w/ directsound ?

otherwise maybe ZzZzZzZ or someone can help you.

Error

Reply #5
I've been able to use it before. It just came up today when I got home (even though it worked earlier this morning).

I have the current soundcard drivers, but I don't think it matters because it has worked before.

Also, I am the only one that uses the computer so it is VERY VERY unlikely someone changed the settings.

I will test it out with Winamp2 and let you guys know.

Error

Reply #6
Winamp2 does not work either. With Waveout I get the same error as in fb2k, and with DirectSound it just locks up.

Error

Reply #7
Bump! This is driving me crazy!

Error

Reply #8
Upgrade your drivers?

Error

Reply #9
Is DirectSound in XP only?
Nov schmoz kapop.

Error

Reply #10
Already tried upgarding my drivers. I even uninstalled the soundcard completely and reinstalled it. No luck...

Error

Reply #11
Is DirectSound in XP only?

It works on at least Windows 95 onwards, with the latest DirectX version installed for that OS.. I think. AFAIK, it definitely works on Windows 98 FE, with DirectX 8 (my previous com).

Error

Reply #12
Already tried upgarding my drivers. I even uninstalled the soundcard completely and reinstalled it. No luck...

Allright it might be a bit of a lame, last desperate measure suggestion.  But have you tried removing the card from it's slot already.  Then cleaning the slot and put it back in.

A guy I know used to haev a similar problem and somehow it got solved by simply taking out all PCI cards and putting them back in.  Guess some dust sneaked in somewhere.  Anyhow, it did solve the problem.

Guess you could also always try to put the card into an entirely different slot.

Might not help you much, but it's the only thing I can think of right now.

Hope you can sort it out, sounds like one of those darn annoying problems that just drive you crazy.

Error

Reply #13
Allright it might be a bit of a lame, last desperate measure suggestion.  But have you tried removing the card from it's slot already.  Then cleaning the slot and put it back in.

Unfortunately, this will not work for him. Read his first post:

I am using Win98SE. My soundcard is onboard (SoundMAX). What could be the problem?

Error

Reply #14

Ooops, sorry.  Must have overlooked that one.

Error

Reply #15
Try reinstalling DirectX.

If nothing else works, you can always try reinstalling Windows... this usually solves problems.

Error

Reply #16
Already tried reinstalling DirectX9.0b.  I guess reformating will be the last resort.

Error

Reply #17
Check out the Adi SoundMAX section at the top of this page. There may be better sources for those versions...

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019