Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: speex -> mp3? (Read 5287 times) previous topic - next topic

speex -> mp3?

A couple of friends would like to listen some of my speex encoded books. And they'd like to use their mp3-players doing so.
Now, is there a simple way to batch transcode spx -> (wav ->) mp3 without wrecking the sound quality?

speex -> mp3?

Reply #1
A couple of friends would like to listen some of my speex encoded books. And they'd like to use their mp3-players doing so.
Now, is there a simple way to batch transcode spx -> (wav ->) mp3 without wrecking the sound quality?

I haven't really tested it, but I would expect (intuitively) that this is probably the worst type of transcoding you could do (worse than MP3->Speex). This is because the noise produced by Speex is more wideband and MP3 will have a very hard time trying to encode that noise (reducing the amount of bits available for the real signal).

speex -> mp3?

Reply #2
Hm. Dang.
Even if you set the Lowpass filter in LAME to something like 9kHz?

speex -> mp3?

Reply #3
Perhaps they have iPods in which case use alt preset standard

dBpowerAMP Music Converter will do it (batch), with the Speex codec - dbpoweramp.com >> Forum >> Beta Test

speex -> mp3?

Reply #4
Nobody mention foo_clienc yet?
Hmm, apart from the warnings jmvalin gave: foobar2000 + foo_clienc will do it just fine.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

speex -> mp3?

Reply #5
Hm. Dang.
Even if you set the Lowpass filter in LAME to something like 9kHz?

Regardless of the lowpass used (I'd suggest 7-8 kHz if you really want to do it anyway), MP3 will probably spend almost half the bits for encoding the noise introduced by Speex. Anyway, I'm still curious about the results, but don't expect anything good.

speex -> mp3?

Reply #6
I think what delft really wanted is to know if his friends mp3 player can play the speex file,

what the use of transcode if they actually want to listen to the speex file?

Get speex input plugin from winamp or other mp3 player and that should do the trick.

Jaleel