Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: stereo vs joint stero / ath (Read 4201 times) previous topic - next topic

stereo vs joint stero / ath

i am encoding mp3's at the max quality with LAME 3.91
-b 320 -m s -q 0

what is the difference between stereo and j stereo in terms of quality at this bitrate?

also what exactly is ATH and should i use it?

thanks

stereo vs joint stero / ath

Reply #1
These questions have been mostly answered in other threads. A carefully worded search should turn up all the information you need. But because I'm feeling generous, I'll give you some links to start off with

First, if you really want maximum quality MP3's, see the recommended Lame settings sticky. Using lame.exe --alt-preset insane will get you the best quality MP3's, period. Dibrom has made many code-level tweaks to the --alt-presets that are more effective than any mere command-line.

As for joint stereo vs. (simple) stereo, see this thread for more information. The short answer is "use joint stereo." For the long answer, read tangent's first post in the thread.

And regarding ATH... I couldn't find a good thread in my quick search, so I'll make a very quick-and-dirty summary. ATH stands for "absolute threshold of hearing" and is a curve of frequency versus volume. It describes the minimum volume needed for sound at a given frequency to be audible. Perform a search on "absolute threshold hearing" to read some semi-relevant threads.

Whether you should use it or not... well, it's always being used in one way or another, but there are different curves to choose from. Stick with --alt-preset  commands for the time being, since they should use the most appropriate ATH curves.

Hope this helps!