Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: USB / Firewire sound cards (Read 3616 times) previous topic - next topic

USB / Firewire sound cards

Hi all, wondering if you could give some input as to what USB and Firewire sound "cards" there are out there.  I've got a very small pc with built in sound, and no real room for another pci card.  I want to get some better sound than what's built into the motherboard, but don't need something like the MOTU and similar recording equipment.  I just want something like say an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, but USB or Firewire based...  Anything out there that would fit the bill?

Thanks.

Reply #1
It's not 24/96, but I recommend the SL1200 from Stereo-Link. 20 bit DAC, support for sampling rates up to 55 khz (there's no resampling, so aliasing is pretty much nonexistant) and extremely low noise. Highly recommended!

Reply #2
Creative has made theres usb alternativ for the audigy
the "sound BLaster Exigy" or some name like that

Speciel made for laptops..i gotta have it when i can findt in Denmark
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #3
Originally posted by Trelane
It's not 24/96, but I recommend the SL1200 from Stereo-Link. 20 bit DAC, support for sampling rates up to 55 khz (there's no resampling, so aliasing is pretty much nonexistant) and extremely low noise. Highly recommended!

Unfortunately, no line in or mic inputs... that would be enough to nix it for me.  Depends on intended uses, of course.

It would be cool to see something like the above, but USB 2.0 and including line/mic inputs.  They might consider knocking about $50 off the price too...

Reply #4
Perused newgroups and the web for a while..  I'm a bit worried about the USB based solutions because of USB's limited bandwidth.  I would like to use whatever I get to play games as well, but it sounds like the USB interface imposes quite a performance hit.  Especially for 3d positioning since the cpu has to do all the positioning before sending it over USB, since USB doesn't have enough bandwidth to get all the sounds and do the positioning itself....  Anyone know of a firewire setup that is in the 100-200 dollar price range?  Am I just dreaming here?

As an aside, I read up on the extigy and it looks like they lied about the 24/96 input..  It's really only 16/44.  Big surprise coming from CL.

Reply #5
Granted, the SL1200 is not cheap (around $150 US), but the quality of the sound is fantastic. It's great for laptops if recording sound isn't necessary. Plays games great!

Regarding the Extigy, don't even consider it. It's based on the already defunct Audigy architecture and has a few new quirks of its own. In 4 channel operation, the Extigy compresses the sound (using a lossy method... I forget which, though) to conserve bandwidth. Why there isn't an option to disable this, I don't know. My SL1200 (which is only 2 channels) uses 26% of the available USB bandwidth. USB 1.0 has an available bandwidth of 12 Mbps.

I remember seeing a 24 bit/96 kHz USB device that had inputs and outputs, but I can't think of its name off hand. I also remember someone saying that it wasn't that great of a device.

My recommendation: if you have a desktop, get a high quality internal sound card. If you have a laptop and don't need inputs, get the SL1200 (believe me, you won't be sorry). If you have a laptop and need inputs, you're on your own

Reply #6
i dont know the sl1200
who made it and can you provid links for product info/rewievs ???

sound interesting .as toms test show. the audigy is NOT HIFI
Sven Bent - Denmark