Skip to main content
Topic: About Memory Using (Read 3104 times) previous topic - next topic

About Memory Using

When start, in task manager dialog, we can see that foobar2000 use about 6M(or more) memory.
then, minimize it into a systray, and then, restore it's to normal size, now in task manager dialog, its using memory is about 2M(or less).
why?
Good good study, day day up, :)
[span style=\'color:red\']The superman is the meaning of the earth.
Let your will say: the superman shall be the meaning of the earth![/span]

About Memory Using

Reply #1
For more accurate observations of memory usage using the Task Manager, use 'VM Size' as your reference. Microsoft's Task Manager in XP and 2000 are unreliable in providing actual memory usage.
And in any case, this question has been asked many, many times. The thing is, memory usage doesn't matter. Why? If you're using Task Manager, you're most likely using XP, 2000 (or NT?), and these OSs already take up so much resources, that chances are your computer won't flinch at 6 MB of apparent usage.

Edit: Anyway, your quotes will be unreadable to those who don't understand the literary structures of Chinese idioms. Is 'day day, up' supposed to be 'zeng1 zeng1 ri4 shang4'?

About Memory Using

Reply #2
Thanks. Maybe I'd asked a boring question.
  , the signature is funny, seems that you know some chinese, in fact, it doest't mean 'zeng1 zeng1 ri4 shang4', but means "study hard, and make progress every day"  or something like that.
Good good study, day day up, :)
[span style=\'color:red\']The superman is the meaning of the earth.
Let your will say: the superman shall be the meaning of the earth![/span]

About Memory Using

Reply #3
The thing is, memory usage doesn't matter. Why? If you're using Task Manager, you're most likely using XP, 2000 (or NT?), and these OSs already take up so much resources, that chances are your computer won't flinch at 6 MB of apparent usage.

So is Foobar2000 compatible with any other OS, then?

About Memory Using

Reply #4
Heheh. Straight from the FB website:
Windows 9X version - runs on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME
Windows NT version - runs on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and Windows XP

* note: You can run Windows 9x version on a Windows NT based OS, but unicode-related features will not function properly
    * note: Very old versions of Windows 95 or NT 4.0 may need msvcrt.dll to be additionally installed

That means it'll also work in Linux with WINE and Mac OS with Virtual PC.

About Memory Using

Reply #5
Yes, but surely emulating a PC is just as bad, if not worse.

About Memory Using

Reply #6
For more accurate observations of memory usage using the Task Manager, use 'VM Size' as your reference.

well, I´m not a guru but this seems to be incorrect...
Didn´t OS only swap the portions of the program the aren´t being used ?
I´ve never heard about the same code being in ram and swap simultaneously.
So VM size can´t be used solely as a reference.

About Memory Using

Reply #7
For more accurate observations of memory usage using the Task Manager, use 'VM Size' as your reference.

well, I´m not a guru but this seems to be incorrect...
Didn´t OS only swap the portions of the program the aren´t being used ?
I´ve never heard about the same code being in ram and swap simultaneously.
So VM size can´t be used solely as a reference.

You're confusing virtual memory (the concept) with Windows Virtual Memory (an implimentation).

Read this:

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/p...2055#2870972055

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020