Skip to main content
Topic: best CD you own that is totally unknown (Read 34200 times) previous topic - next topic

best CD you own that is totally unknown

Reply #100
I guess most audiophiles aren't into electronic music, eh?

I AM!! I mean...it depends on how you interpret electronic music...I'm not to much into house and techno (at least not at home - leave it on the dance floor) but I do like electronic music. Wanna try more good drum'n'bass but hard to find!

And many of the posts are unfortunately quite ... imprecise in describing the genre or the style. Hard to tell if it's woth to try, then!

JD

Reply #101
What kind of electronic music do you like?  I go for the more experimental side, with some IDM thrown in sparingly.

Speaking of music, there should be a sticky thread where yopu can post your playlist for reference..

...no, wait, that's a horrible idea, never mind.
地獄

Reply #102
Well, dunno what might be the meaning of IDM (Industrially Damaged Music?)...
but I think you mean music like "Autechre" or "Mouse on Mars", right?

Actually, I'm more into chillin' electronic music like "Air", "GusGus", "Moloko" and
Royksopp but right now I try to find some nice mindblowing drum'n'bass.
Do you know "T.Raumschmiere"? It's hard electronic and kinda strange but funny!

...and of course I'm a fan of Chemical Broth. and Co.

JD

Reply #103
Halford-"Resurrection"

Reply #104
Well, dunno what might be the meaning of IDM (Industrially Damaged Music?)...
but I think you mean music like "Autechre" or "Mouse on Mars", right?

Actually, I'm more into chillin' electronic music like "Air", "GusGus", "Moloko" and

...and of course I'm a fan of Chemical Broth. and Co.

JD

Mindblowing Drum N Bass =

Luke Vibert/Amen Andrews/Plug

Venetians Snares - most every album by him

Squarepusher

Amon Tobin - All four albums are great
地獄

Reply #105
Also DrukQs by Aphex Twin, and the Hangable Auto Bulb eps (youll have to get those off p2p)
地獄

Reply #106
I would recommend:

I Mother Earth - "The Quicksilver Meat Dream", "Blue Green Orange", or "Scenery and Fish"

mmm, i love scenery and fish

the lead singer from IME left the band after it though
i love his new stuff (Another Spin Around The Sun, Edwin & The Pressure) but i dont think anyones outside of canada has heard of the second one 
Fire always makes it better - the Offspring

Reply #107
Mindblowing Drum N Bass =

Luke Vibert/Amen Andrews/Plug

Venetians Snares - most every album by him

Squarepusher

Amon Tobin - All four albums are great

Thanx for these nice recommendations!

Will try it and tell you what I think about it!

JD

Reply #108
Heh, IDM = Intelligent Dance Music.  Not an ideal descriptor, I must admit

and the Hangable Auto Bulb eps (youll have to get those off p2p)

Or maybe Lev might be selling his vinyl's soon

Kudos to Penvzila for his taste.... My contribution is Yasume - Where We're From the Birds Sing a Pretty Song.  Its like early minimalist Autechre.  Absolutely awesome.

Reply #109
I have both HABs on vinyl, but they arent for sale at this point.

I was just recommending Yasume, I dont really like them all that much.  I like hasher sounds like Venetian Snares, Fennesz, Pita, ect..
地獄

Reply #110
Nearly all the music i listen is rather unknown    but i go for:
Thorns , s/t  : black metal with some harsh electronics
Merzbow/Genesis P-Orridge, A Perfect Pain : the last song "all beauty is our enemy" is a masterpiece!
Skepticism, Farmakon : really slow doom metal
Science is built up of facts, as a house is built of stones; but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house

Reply #111
Most of the following is regular old rock:

Biff Rose - Biff Rose (1970)
Divine Comedy - Casanova (1996) [someone mentioned "Milla"? earlier, but I've never heard of an album by that name]
Jude - No One Is Really Beautiful (1998)
Stephen Malkmus - Stephen Malkmus (2001)
Patti Rothberg - Between The 1 And The 9 (1996)
Sloan - All albums; One Chord To Another (1997) and Between The Bridges (1999) are fine starting points.  Outstanding rock 'n' roll band; huge in Canada.
Jill Sobule - Jill Sobule (1995)
Superdrag - Head Trip In Every Key (1998)

I think only the Biff Rose album would be difficult to find.  I've got it on vinyl (which I transferred to CD a while ago), but there are probably some expensive imports out there.  Sloan is second only to the Beatles in my "favorite groups list".

Reply #112
Mo' Horizons esp. "Soho Vibes" and "Good Evening Friends." [I wonder what Roberto thinks of them -- it's loungy Brazil via Berlin.]

Reply #113
hi! Here is my contribution:

SOUNDTRACKS:

Spawn - The album: "collaborations" between metal & electro/techno acts. Atari Teenage Riot / Slayer "No Remorse" is a killer!! 

La Planète Sauvage (Wild Planet): soundtrack for a long-footage French cartoon released in 1973; I am convinced AIR got a load of this when they composed Virgin Suicides... 

The Wicker Man: soundtrack to "the best British horror movie ever made". Brilliant traditional Brit folk with a mystic twist. Mesmerising! 

BANDS:

Arab Strap: band from Falkirk, Scotland. Their second opus "Philophobia" has become a landmark in Sottish indie. Unique style, for some truly beautiful, sad music. For others, pure depressive crap. You love 'em or you hate 'em!

Terranova: Berlin-based DJ/Producers trio. Very versatile music that ranges from old school hip-hop to electro-acid. Their "DJ Kicks"  mix is highly recommended!!

SOLO ACTS:

Terry callier: Poet and prophet of Jazz/Soul/Folk in the 60s. Fell into oblivion in the 70s, but made an stunning comeback in 1999 with "Timepeace" and released 3 more excellent albums including a live. Velvet voice, meaningful lyrics, truly indispensable!

Lucky Pierre: Arab Strap singer. Sophisticated, intricate hybrid music mixing classical and electro. Oddly enough, never sings on his own records. Some might say it's just as well... 

Malcolm Middleton: Arab Strap's (again?!) odd job man. Released only one album so far: "5:14 Fluoxytine Seagull Alcohol John" (pheww!); brilliant debut, smart songwriting and beautiful melodies. You will hear an acoustic on all but one track. And the Scottish accent on all of them. 

Food for ears, folks. Thanks for reading (and listening)!! 

Reply #114
Ruins - Tzomborgha

Only the best in bizarre, ultra-technical Japanese . . . something-rock.  Unbelievably cool stuff.  Their lyrics are in a made up "language."  They use only a bass guitar and a drumset.  The variety of their music, considering that setup, is astonishing.

Reply #115
The Wicker Man: soundtrack to "the best British horror movie ever made". Brilliant traditional Brit folk with a mystic twist.

Thanks for sparking my interest in that one.

Mesmerising!

<AOL>Me too</AOL>

Reply #116

If you like this kinds of chill music, I think you like these too:

Fila brazillia - Power clown
Zero 7 - Simple things
Dzihan & Kamien - Freaks & Icons
I:Cube

I:Cube I discovert on Tigersushi,  you can also listen to streaming audio.

Reply #118
whoa, there's a lot of Aussies on this board.  cool.

here's some nice bands:

TISM
Blood Duster
Friendly
The Cat Empire

i'm not sure how known (or unknown) these bands are, although i'm pretty sure Blood Duster is unknown... i only met them at a party, but i'm not in the hardcore scene where they're quite well known.

a bizarre Korean (?) band is Miyavi.  very strange and cool hardcore.

the other listed bands up there aren't all hardcore though.  just interesting stuff.

Beth Gibbons certainly isn't unknown, but nonetheless i recommend "out of season", which she did while waiting for the rest of Portishead to finish their oh-so-overdue next album.  chill and jazzy, with bits of folky in there.

Reply #119
Hm, hard to tell whats unknown, but here are my contributions (some of which were already mentioned):

IDM:
Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy
Plaid - Rest Proof Clockwork
µ-Ziq - All Albums
Amon Tobin - Supermodified
Hoyager - Now this guy from NZ is really unknown but makes very nice IDM. You can checkout his songs for Reason on reasonstation.net: http://www.reasonstation.net/users/usersng.phtml?user=7967

Jazz:
Malcolm Braff Combo - Together (afro-euro jazz)
Egberto Gismonti - All his stuff is amazing, try Charlie Haden & Egberto Gismonti In Montreal
Eberhard Weber - Pendulum
Passport - Ataraxia (crossover jazz)

Classic/Contemporary:
Arvo Pärt - All his works
Holst - The Planets
Phillip Glass - Naqoyqatsi soundtrack
There are more, but whos into classical should know things like Mussorgsky - Pictures at an exhibition...

Rock/70's/Metal/Punk:
It’s A Beautiful Day - At Carnegie Hall
King Crimson - All
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in middle earth
NoFX - Punk in drublic
Type O Negative - October Rust

Other:
Vangelis - Soil Festivities (After many years Movement I is still pure inspiration to me)

PS.: If someone really thinks that some of the above ARE known, just say it and it'll be fixed 
edit: spheling

Reply #120
Something for those of more metal taste, check the samples and don't just discard
it cos it's metal, most long time metal bands tend to be much more evolved than
bands of other genres.

Of course, what do I know, I don't listen to genres.

Check the websites for more info, samples, videos and maybe other bands
to check out too. All links all to official sites.

-------------------
Solefald (norway)
Sample (full song): Mont Blanc Providence Crow .mp3(128Kbps, 4.82MB)
Video: Mont Blanc Providence Crow .mov(63.9MB), .mp4(38.4MB)

From their site:
One thing is certain: any attempt to categorize SOLEFALD's music automatically
betrays it.

At first listen, In Harmonia Universali immediately brings to mind the progressive
airs of Yes' vintage '70s art rock, but SOLEFALD soon lead their listeners astray
into customarily unfamiliar territory. Sung in four languages (Norwegian, German,
French, and English) and graced with a male choir, a saxophone, Spanish guitar,
and the keyboard exotica of a Steinway grand piano & a Hammond B-3 organ, the
layered nature of In Harmonia Universali's music reveals something new with each
listen.
-------------------

-------------------
Dark Tranquillity (sweden)
Sample (full song): Monochromatic Stains .mp3(128Kpbs, 3.32MB)
Video: The Wonders At Your Feet (live) .mpg(27.57MB)

From their site:
"Damage Done" is the much-anticipated sixth full length album from Gothenburg’s
own Dark tranquillity, a band that has become an institution within the realms of
extreme Metal, seeing that they deserve full credit for originally kicking off the
stylistic wave of melodic Death Metal which has become established and frenetically
followed all throughout the world in the meantime.
-------------------

-------------------
Oomph! (germany)
Sample: No full songs, check the site for samples.
Video: Supernova .asf(8.19MB)

From their site:
Constant reinvention embracing styles beyond the scene – only one German band
has such a rigorously ambitious and artistic approach. We’re talking about Oomph!.
For almost 15 years now, the musical creations of the threesome from Lower Saxony
have been shaped by their pioneering spirit. Critics, fans as well as colleagues
unanimously say that these three guys rank among “the most revolutionary figures
of the German scene”.

Oomph! know how to combine the cool electronic world with earthy Rock: a kind of
human music machine with powerful and extremely varied arrangements.
-------------------

-------------------
Satyricon (norway)
Sample: No full songs, check website for samples.
Video: Fuel For Hatred (explicit content!) .wmv(11.71MB), .mov(13.93MB)

From their site:
...And so it begins... With their dark music and haunting imagery, Satyricon, from
Norway, is one of the most widely revered Black Metal bands in the world.

Metal Hammer Germany journal Robert Müller raves, "This darkness is no romantic
invention, no abstract delusion, but derived from firsthand experience. The sound of
"Volcano" is the sound of the cozy cocoon of civilization torn apart; it envisions the
cold emptiness behind.

Satyr, songwriter, producer and frontman eludes," the music is rock based but more
extreme; it is black metal pushing the boundaries that began with bands like Venom
and Bathory, reinventing ourselves based on a foundation of rock oriented Black
Metal is our philosophy".
-------------------

-------------------
The Black League (finland)
Sample (full song): Pain Without A Name .mp3 (256Kbps, 6.43MB)
Video: Winter Winds Sing .avi(12.64MB)

From their site:
21st Century Downer Rock.

And what the hell is that supposed to be, we hear you ask? Well,  there’s never been
easy answers to The League, so here we go again: Music that you love to hear but
hate to admit. Take some classic Motörhead, some vintage Skynyrd and some of
90’s pride and joy Danzig, then mirror it thru the leaguesmen’s long list of ex-bands
like Faff-Bey, Sentenced and Legenda and you may get the picture. But because you
won’t, we suggest you get your hands on this one ’cause Man’s Ruin Revisited is
about to bring Rock Music back to where it belongs! No, this ain’t ”retro”… This is
timeless. And this ain’t ”Scandinavian” either… but Finnish – like the mighty
Hurriganes for that matter. And most important, this has nothing to do with your
”8-balls”… The League still put their trust in the ol’ Ace of Spades.
-------------------

I will post some more stuff later, enjoy.

Reply #121
Echo7 - One Step Away

Kicking Harold - Anything esp. 'Ugly & Festering'

And I'll throw in anything from The Tea Party.  Even though anyone from Canada probably know them, almost unheard of in the states.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #122
I have to add the poor old guy, once quite famous, but now almost forgotten:

Fish, ex-lead singer of Marillion. You find him here.

I still think that he is getting better with each new album.

From the homepage:

Graeme Smith, S1play:
"...being at one of his gigs is like being entertained by a boisterous host at a particularly loud private party."

I mostly love his lyrics which are not the usual 'boy meets girl' crap torturing my ears all day.

Cheers,

tiki4

Reply #123
Well most people who live around me have never heard of the music I listen to, but in Asia a lot of it isn't uncommon at all.  Well most of it.  That's just what I get being a Japanese speaker in an area where no one knows a word of Japanese 

I'd say the best CD I own that isn't really known in Japan either is probably ROmantic Mode's Vision of Love.  Well all of their CDs are good; this one just stood out more to me.  Actually my avatar is cut from the cover of it
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020