Skip to main content
Topic: best CD you own that is totally unknown (Read 34197 times) previous topic - next topic

best CD you own that is totally unknown

Well here's the thing, I recently came into some money and I would like some recomendations.  Not about a stereo, or speakers, or a soundcard, or anything like that...I would like recommendations on some completely unknown yet should be essential recordings.  I have had to tone down my music purchasing for the last 2 years because college is..well, expensive.  So now I am rewarding myself, my intention is to blow about 1200 dollars on new CD's, vinyl, etc.  I have a pretty diverse collection but I seem to have hit a blockage in that I find very few new artists anymore-maybe lack of time, effort, whatever.  Anything goes but I don't particularly care for country, if you feel it deserves recognition go ahead and post it though.  Thanks very much for any leads and discussion this may bring to light.

Viral

Reply #1
I vote for anything Jump, Little Children, probably choosing "Vertigo" over the other CDs.  Beautiful vocals, blending of instruments, and a completely unique style. =D

Reply #2
Not totally unkown, but less known: "Esthero - Breath From Another" (Amazon link). One of my favorite albums of all time.

Reply #3
I'm not sure how well-known they are, but Primus is a good band. Website is @ http://www.primussucks.com/

As far as music style, I don't know how to describe them. They are the only band with their own ID3 music genre. If I had to say, though, I would go with thrash-funk.

Their best work artistically might be 'Sailing the Seas of Cheese'. 'Frizzle Fry' is also good.

Reply #5
Well, nearly all my CDs are unknown ! But they are also the kind of music that is better listened to with attention. I mean that many people won't like it, and that it defenitely will draw away consumer from a shop, for example, if used as background music. Therefore I can't advise you without knowing your tastes better.
Examples of CDs that can sound beautiful to ones' ears and unbearable to others, in various genres :

XVIIe Vie - LLewella
Spaceship of the Imagination
Frolic - To Dream, Perchance to Sleep
Idir - A Vava Inouva

But trying to stick with your request, I think that I've got one CD whitch got a very high success/rarity ratio among my relatives :

Cosmic Baby - Stellar Supreme

Quite impossible to find outside Germany, nearly everyone who heard it wanted a copy of it (on tape, it was in the mid 90's). Nothing magic or exeptional in it, but easily enjoyable by anyone.
I don't understand german but it's listed in http://www.amazon.de

Reply #6
These aren't "totally unknown" either, but they certainly deserve more recognition than they are normally given. Just taking a guess though, that they're not already in your collection... and if you want some essentials, they should be.    I'd give a strong endorsement to any of the following (Amazon links provided below):

Running Jumping Standing Still by "Spider" John Koerner and Willie Murphy

Spirit by Spirit

Present Tense by Sagittarius

The Carnegie Hall Concert by Lenny Bruce

Vintage: The Very Best of... by Moby Grape

Both Matthew & Son and New Masters by Cat Stevens

6- and 12-String Guitar by Leo Kottke

Teenage Shutdown: Jump, Jive and Harmonize (Various Artists)

Blows Against the Empire by Paul Kantner and Jefferson Starship

If I Could Only Remember My Name.... by David Crosby

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake by the Small Faces

Black Monk Time by the Monks

We Are Paintermen by the Creation

- M.

Edit: Fixed a non-functional link.
Edit 2: Added a couple of titles.
Edit 3: Added a few more albums.

Reply #7
Hmmm,

my most unknown that I like is probably Nipponjin by Far East Family Band.

What I like more - and is not quite so unknown is complete Van der Graaf Generator.

Funny thing @pseudoacoustic: never before heard of Primus until two weeks ago my sister gave me a CD full of Primus, encoded in sceners' delight full stereo, but at least with LAME 3.92 @ 192 kBit

Reply #8
I have A LOT of virtually unknown music.

[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%']Buck 65 Is the best hip-hop out there, IMO.  "Square" is his best CD.[/span]

[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%']Download Is a little known electronic group.  There best work is, unquestionably "The Eyes of Stanley Pain"[/span]

[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%']And ANYTHING from Warp Records is amazing.  Especially Aphex Twin (Richard D. James), Squarepusher (Tom Jenkinson), Autechre, Boards of Canada, and Anti-Pop Consortium.[/span]
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #9
The Donnas - Spend The Night: Kinda like KISS + AC/DC, but all girls. Rocks!

Golden Boy with Miss Kittin - Or: Great electronica with an 80s vibe. A little electroclash-ish, but actually good.

Rob

Reply #10
This group is not "unknown"in a general sense, but unknown to younger people.

Rockbilly Boogie by The Johnny Burnette Trio from Bear Family Records contains

what is auguably the finest example of rockabilly ever recorded. Most of the material was recorded in 1955-1956, even before Carl Perkins made an impact
at Sun Records. Without this group, retro groups like the Stray cats would not have existed. If you want a taste of some blazing rockabilly/rock n'roll that influenced many groups that followed, this is a great CD to get. BTW, Bear Family
Records has done a superb job of perserving essential rock and roll history in their catalogue. Well worth checking out their website http://www.bear-family.de/
you will make mp3's for compatibility reasons.

Reply #11
Don't know "who knows what", but these are at least the "lesser knowns" that I like (in no particular order)...

Synergy ~ Audion
Radiohead ~ OK Computer
The B-52's ~ Whammy!
Hole ~ My Body, The Hand Grenade
Lexx: The Series (Original TV Soundtrack)
The Chemical Brothers ~ Surrender
Milla ~ The Divine Comedy
Ozric Tentacles ~ Jurassic Shift
Primus ~ Pork Soda
Sass Jordan ~ Rats
Joey Stuckey ~ Take a Walk In The Shadows

--------------------------
Edit: Ugh...Migraine medication makes me ramble.  OK, rambling's normal for me, but it makes ramble more than usual.  Hence, I shortened the list after "coming down".   

Joey Stuckey is linked because he's released under his own label and won't be found anywhere else.  He handed me one of the first copies of his debut CD in 1994 before there was a "production company".  The rest can be found via the usual searches.

Reply #12
Well, in my collection resides currently 358 albums (including box sets, etc.)...not what I would consider a large collection (especially around here).  But here are (currently) my very favorites out of that collection.  They range from somewhat unknown to quite well known, but then again I don't know who's heard of what, so here goes (in no particular order):

Joey Stuckey ~ Take a Walk In The Shadows
The Police ~ Outlandos d'Amour
The Police ~ Ghost In The Machine
Synergy ~ Audion
Radiohead ~ OK Computer
The B-52's ~ Whammy!
The B-52's ~ Time Capsule
Hole ~ Live Through This
Hole ~ My Body, The Hand Grenade
Pink Floyd ~ Animals
Pink Floyd ~ Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd ~ Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd (or better yet, just buy their whole studio collection!)
Lexx: The Series (Original TV Soundtrack)
Alanis Morissette ~ Jagged Little Pill
Beastie Boys ~ Beastie Boys Anthology: The Sounds of Science
Rush ~ Moving Pictures
Rush ~ A Farewell To Kings
The Chemical Brothers ~ Surrender
Fatboy Slim ~ You've Come a Long Way, Baby  (...worth it if only for tearing up codecs with Kalifornia    )
Milla ~ The Divine Comedy
Ozric Tentacles ~ Jurassic Shift
Primus ~ Pork Soda
The Clash ~ The Essential Clash
Sass Jordan ~ Rats
Scorpions ~ Deadly Sting: The Mercury Years
Johann Sebastian Bach ~ The Brandenburg Concertos (Il Giardino Armonico)
Smashing Pumpkins ~ Siamese Dream
Talking Heads ~ Popular Favorites 1976-1992: Sand in the Vaseline
The Cars ~ Candy-O
The Beatles ~ Rubber Soul
Tool ~ ├ćnima
U2 ~ The Joshua Tree
The Prodigy ~ Fat Of The Land
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (Original Soundtrack)

And only if you're a big '70s fan...
Have A Nice Decade: The '70s Pop Culture Box

These are just my *very* favorites, anyway.  Not many unknowns IMO, but as I said, I don't know who's heard of who.  For example, most people know Milla Jovovich from movies (The Fifth Element, Resident Evil, The Messenger), but how many know of her music?

Good tastes in music, I'm especially impressed with the Lexx Sountrack, I wish I had it ; but wasn't this thread supposed to UNKNOWN artists?  I think the Lexx selection is the only one that really fits here . . . .

Reply #13
Good tastes in music, I'm especially impressed with the Lexx Sountrack, I wish I had it ; but wasn't this thread supposed to UNKNOWN artists?  I think the Lexx selection is the only one that really fits here . . . .

I thought it was "unknown CDs"...but if I misread the initial post it wouldn't have been the first time it's happened.   

I'm guessing (for many people) Marty Simon (Lexx), Milla, Joey Stuckey, Sass Jordan, Ozric Tentacles and Synergy would probably be the least known artists in the list.

For many others, the CDs are not so common IMO, though the artists are.  Such as for Outlandos d'Amour; Whammy!; My Body, The Hand Grenade; Surrender; A Farewell To Kings.

The rest are simply "deserving of recognition", as part of what was mentioned in the original post.  Just my $0.02 for building/expanding someone's collection with music they might not otherwise pick up.  Plus the fact that there's no way to tell what's "unknown" to a certain person.  Hole was completely unknown to me until two years ago...I got so hooked that I've since bought their entire collection.

Reply #14
just a few of my favourite "probably-unknown-to-some" albums:

keren ann - biographie de luka philipsen
ivy - long distance
way out west - intensify
lunik - ahead
terra ferma - the adventures of...
rank 1 - symsonic
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #15
OIO - Anima (but you will probably won't be able to find it)

Reply #16
Roger Glover: The butterfly ball and the grasshopers feast
http://home.swipnet.se/rogerglover/text/re...ds/butterfl.htm

One of my favourite albums of all times. There is a small cult following, and most people know it through seeing the "love is all" song and cartoon during the childhood. The whole album is of the same calibre.

Reply #17
good call on Way out West. Also check out their self-titled debut if you can find it...a nice fusion of powerful progressive house, breaks, chillout, downtempo & ambient.  Intensify takes it a bit further with a few more poppy elements.

For my own addition, an album by a good friend of mine: Kilowatts - Perfected Everything. Experimental compositions sitting somewhere inbetween IDM and downtempo with elements of jazz and countless other genres thrown in for good measure.

Reply #18
All "Sunya Beat" Records

Main Artist is "Axel Manrico Heilhecker"

"Fishmoon" is an intresting Solo Album.

Genre and Style is somewhere between  "Prog-Rock" Pink Floyd, "Ethnic-Influenced" like Santana or Dead Can Dance, and all releases contains "spacy Guitars" and "delayed Guitar Strings" played as Instrument and "magic sound carpets", by the "Man at the Mixer".

Regards Lego

Reply #19
The Apartments - Drift
Old Official Website.
From Australia with grace... Peter Milton-Walsh's songwriting is beautifully natural, lighter than dreams, deeper than pain... as haunted as any solitude could be.

Encyclopedia entry for 'The Apartments'
Drift was issued in Europe on the New Rose label, and garnered generous reviews in France. It was so well received in France, in fact, that while Drift sold less than 200 copies in Australia, it reputedly sold 20 000 there.

I don't believe a word of that. I've never never met anyone who knows that band. If anyone here does, I'll be happy to know.

The Pale Fountains - Pacific Street
A.K.A Shack, The Strands.
A great band from Liverpool that time has forgotten.

Shack Official Website
Great Fan Website

Other records (maybe less unknown):
Swell - Too Many Days Without Thinking
Red House Painters - Down Colorful Hill
American Music Club - Mercury
Palace Brothers - There Is No-One That Will Take Care Of You
Felt - The Strange Idol Pattern And Other Short Stories
Richard Hawley - Lowedges

Reply #20
15-60-75 (The Numbers Band) - Jimmy Bell's Still In Town

15-60-75 performs an inspiried blend of blues, R&B, and rock. This live recording from 1974 catches their red-hot performance, opening up for Bob Marley to an indifferent crowd. The band blazes with both rhythm and passion. Using guitars, saxophones, harmonica & congas, they prove that even the best music can get passed over by the music industry. (I may post some short clips if I get a chance.)

This album is highly recommended!

You can order it from the band's website, Amazon, or via Pere Ubu's Hearthan record label.

Reply #21
Nurse With Wound - Thunder Perfect Mind, Soliloquy For Lilith
Coil - Love's Secret Domain, Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. 1 and 2, Time Machines, Moon's Milk
Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats
Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding (100% Serge synthesizer)
Current 93 - Swastikas For Noddy
Vince Clarke & Martyn Ware - Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle (designed for headphones)
Death In June - But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter?

Reply #22
Francis Cabrel - Samedi Soir sur la Terre

Reply #23
Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats

YEAH Throbbing Gristle!!  The first industrial band ever.  I really want to find their first CD:  Throbbing Gristle's Greatest Hits Vol. 2 (gotta love the sense of humour, eh?).

Reply #24
Anything by the Pixies, music today would be totally different without their influence to bands in the early 1990s.

AFI is an amazing group. Have gotten some airplay on MTV and the radio, but they are still an underground band at heart. Same goes with The Ataris, awsome pop-punk.

Guster is simply amazing. Pick up "Lost and Gone Forever' and 'Keep it Together"
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020