Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why can jump volume? To me jumping and in my yard(. My foobar2000 1.6.18. (Read 1045 times) previous topic - next topic

Why can jump volume? To me jumping and in my yard(. My foobar2000 1.6.18.

Hi. My "new" foobar2000 1.6.18. Why jumping volume from core.cfg and in my yard(google)/court  :'(?

Re: Why can jump volume? To me jumping and in my yard(. My foobar2000 1.6.18.

Reply #1
Jump with output "Default: Primary Sound Driver". After change output volume stop jump. But me need "Default: Primary Sound Driver". Change, please, this topic (request was).

Reply #2
It's very difficult to understand what you are saying. Why is the core.cfg configuration file mentioned? If the volume pumping is related to Windows mixer's anti clipping measures, you can try enabling "Advanced Limiter" DSP. If volume reduction is not an option you can install and try https://foobar.hyv.fi/?view=foo_dsp_hardclip.

Reply #3
With the "Advanced Limiter" DSP, the volume began to jump less, but It's all the same jump pleasantly and the volume at the end it gets quieter/silence, with the "Advanced Limiter" or without! Change, please, this topic on "Why jump volume foobar2000 1.6.x with output "Default: Primary Sound Driver"?"

Reply #4
With the "Advanced Limiter" DSP, the volume began to jump less, but It's all the same jump pleasantly and the volume at the end it gets quieter/silence, with the "Advanced Limiter" or without! Change, please, this topic on "Why jump volume foobar2000 1.6.x with output "Default: Primary Sound Driver"?"

foobar2000 outputs floating point when using the "Default: Primary Sound Driver".  When what you're playing is too loud or the DSPs you're using cause too much of a volume increase you can have pumping problems where the volume goes from loud to soft because of Windows' built-in limiter as you're simply exceeding the maximum allowed.  The "Advanced Limiter" caps it at 0 dB which can cause the pumping problems to disappear.  Try reducing internal volume either through using ReplayGain by turning down the preamps or using a DSP until the pumping stops.  You can use foobar2000's peak meter under visualizations to see if you're still going over 0 dB or not.

Reply #5
A can somehow disable Windows' built-in limiter? If "Advanced Limiter" doesn't allow on 100% increase/zoom volume.

Reply #6
Swi:  since Foobar's "Default: Primary Sound Driver" output uses wasapi shared, this causes the output to pass through the Windows Mixer, which as Chibisteven pointed out can cause pumping when it own built-in processing is engaged.

I understand that many have completely valid reasons for using wasapi shared, as in wanting to use various effect DSP like fade in/out, not have system sound alerts rendered inaudible, and who prefer a hands-off approach to concern over what sample rates are natively supported by their audio device.  But if you are using it just because it came as the default choice, you might want to try changing the output to "Default: Primary Sound Driver (Exclusive)."  It will avoid the mixer's pumping limiter sound and other handling.  Easy enough to switch back to the default shared choice when that environment suits you.

I do use a manually adjustable VST limiter/compressor plugin for dealing with radio streams whose clipping and compression is sometimes all over the map.  For me, the "bit-perfect" concept must yield to being able to have an enjoyable listening experience!!

Reply #7
sveakul, thank You for "Exclusive", and sorry - he/it didn't find it right away/at once in the collecteds outputs.

Reply #8
I don't understand this topic at all. In second post you said that with another output there is no "jumping", but you need it to work with the default output:
After change output volume stop jump. But me need "Default: Primary Sound Driver".
If the issue was with Windows mixer the Hard Clip limiter DSP I linked will definitely fix the issue with default output. Or any output.