Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Volume level not linked between output devices in Foobar 2.1.3 (Read 562 times) previous topic - next topic

Volume level not linked between output devices in Foobar 2.1.3

Hi Folks,

I just upgraded to Foobar 2.1.3 from 1.5 and got an immediate bad surprise - volume level is not global for all output devices. I don't see how can this be a good idea - turning down volume, adjusting volume on amp, then switching to another output which is maxed out by default! I almost blew up my speakers! I searched settings for hours and could not find a way to disable this "feature". Please tell me there is a way to disable this... I am using Foobar as preamp and switching between different output devices - I simply cannot do this anymore, as now I have to adjust volume each time I make a switch.

Re: Volume level not linked between output devices in Foobar 2.1.3

Reply #1
Different output devices will output at different levels. If foobar2000 sends the same level to all of them, it will still be different because the hardware outputs are all different. The way it is now is good because it lets you set a reasonable level for each device yourself, rather than sending the same level to all of them and getting different results. There is no way foobar2000 could account for literally every piece of output hardware that exists.

Just to prove my point: My DAC, a Schiit Modius, has balanced outputs which—as I understand it—output 2x the volume of standard consumer line outs. I also have two different dongle DACs for my phone, and they both output slightly different volumes. The way foobar2000 is now, I can account for that and perhaps lower my Modius volume and match its level with what the other devices will give me.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #2
I probably did not make myself clear - I am talking about different volume control positions for different outputs, not the actual spl downstream at each device - Foobar 2.1.3 remembers volume control for each output device, so that one can be at 0db and another one at 100dB. This was not the case in Foobar 1.5. I'm sure that someone will find it useful, but then there MUST be a setting to enable or disable this.

Reply #3
I understood what you were saying. I was saying that it is useful for foobar2000 to remember the volume set for each different audio device so you can match them without having to adjust it every time you change device.

An option would be nice. I don't know if there is one. I'm just giving perspective that it is also useful the way it is.

Reply #4
After thinking about it some more, I think I'm more inclined to agree with you. Even though different output devices will give you a different absolute volume, it would make a lot more sense to store preamp values for them on a per-device level if the user desires, while leaving the main volume control as just that—a global, main volume control that stays where it is set across devices.

(Not that this helps you much since I have no control over it.)