Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: questions about new hardware for ripping with eac and creating useful cue sheets (Read 1707 times) previous topic - next topic

questions about new hardware for ripping with eac and creating useful cue sheets

Hi all,
so sadly my laptop gave up the ghost recently so I have had to get a new machine and of course typical these days no inbuilt cd / dvd drive, the shop I got my new machine from sold me an external dvd burner probably very low powered as it runs off USB only, it feels quite cheep to be honest and its performance with eac is terrible only about 2x speed or so.
So first off, I need to get a replacement drive, that can preferably do 8x or even better, higher the better of course as long as it does accurate and quality rips, I have no issue spending some money or assembling a drive into an external caddy as long as I can get precise part details or links.

Second though, I always like to do my rips in flac and cue, recently I happened to have a look at one of the new cue sheets generated from this awful drive I currently have and from what I can see it didn't seem to show any proper track indexes, so then I had a look at my old rips done on a much faster drive and to my horror I saw the same issue, so wondering what do you think of the below cue sheet as an example I am really hoping that unintentionally I haven't been creating useless cue sheets with both this new and my old drive which I used for years. I wanted to have the cue sheets just in case of having to burn new copies etc.
Below is a typical example cue sheet.

Code: [Select]
REM GENRE 2023
REM DATE 2023
REM DISCID FD0FFF12
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v1.6"
PERFORMER "Big Finish Productions"
TITLE "UFO Breaking Point Disc Three"
REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "01 3-01 Big Finish Ident.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-01 Big Finish Ident"
    REM COMPOSER ""
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "02 3-02 Breaking Point Track 01.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-02 Breaking Point Track 01"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "03 3-03 Breaking Point Track 02.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-03 Breaking Point Track 02"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "04 3-04 Breaking Point Track 03.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-04 Breaking Point Track 03"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "05 3-05 Breaking Point Track 04.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-05 Breaking Point Track 04"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "06 3-06 Breaking Point Track 05.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-06 Breaking Point Track 05"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "07 3-07 Breaking Point Track 06.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-07 Breaking Point Track 06"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "08 3-08 Breaking Point Track 07.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-08 Breaking Point Track 07"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "09 3-09 Breaking Point Track 08.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-09 Breaking Point Track 08"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "10 3-10 Breaking Point Track 09.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-10 Breaking Point Track 09"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "11 3-11 Breaking Point Track 10.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-11 Breaking Point Track 10"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "12 3-12 Breaking Point Track 11.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-12 Breaking Point Track 11"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "13 3-13 Breaking Point Track 12.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-13 Breaking Point Track 12"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "14 3-14 Breaking Point Track 13.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-14 Breaking Point Track 13"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "15 3-15 Breaking Point Credits.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 15 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-15 Breaking Point Credits"
    REM COMPOSER ""
  TRACK 16 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-16 Breaking Point Interviews 1"
    REM COMPOSER ""
    INDEX 00 01:08:09
FILE "16 3-16 Breaking Point Interviews 1.wav" WAVE
FILE "17 3-17 Breaking Point Interviews 2.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 17 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-17 Breaking Point Interviews 2"
    REM COMPOSER ""
FILE "18 3-18 Breaking Point Interviews 3.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 18 AUDIO
    TITLE "3-18 Breaking Point Interviews 3"
    REM COMPOSER ""

MOD edit: CUE to code box

Re: questions about new hardware for ripping with eac and creating useful cue sheets

Reply #1
from what I can see it didn't seem to show any proper track indexes
The Indexes look normal for a multiple-file cue sheet, with gaps (Noncompliant).
korth

Re: questions about new hardware for ripping with eac and creating useful cue sheets

Reply #2
so sadly my laptop gave up the ghost recently so I have had to get a new machine and of course typical these days no inbuilt cd / dvd drive, the shop I got my new machine from sold me an external dvd burner probably very low powered as it runs off USB only, it feels quite cheep to be honest and its performance with eac is terrible only about 2x speed or so.
You're right to be concerned.  I have a netbook running Win7 for when I'm "mobile", and to serve a specific need I acquired two (different, cheap) USB external DVD drives (USB powered).  One performs much better than the other (ripping audio CDs with EAC), but more particularly it was only some time later I discovered a small percentage of tracks ripped were truncated or had gaps in them, without any clear differentiation in the logs.

The reason to run two is to be able to rip two CDs in parallel and reduce the "human idle time" factor.  The lack of performance does not seem to be due to the netbook being overloaded, but I can't be certain – and one drive is consistently faster than the other, and I suspect (can't confirm) the rip errors were on the slower drive, which is also more likely to be commanded to re-read by EAC.

I don't think I would be concerned about being USB powered, the discs are being read not written.

The slimline drive in my notebook performs much better, and reads CDs the USB drives refuse to.

I would tell you what my best performing USB drive is, but there is no way to identify it and no way to be sure what you're purchasing, nor any certainty that buying from exactly the same listing ends up with exactly the same drive.

I think the best bet would be to extract the drive from your dead laptop, and couple it to a PSU and a USB3-SATA adapter.  The adapter might even be able to supply power.  Failing that, obtain a desktop drive and do the same.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #3
I would tell you what my best performing USB drive is, but there is no way to identify it and no way to be sure what you're purchasing, nor any certainty that buying from exactly the same listing ends up with exactly the same drive.
I use one of these successfully ~ https://www.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards-components/optical-drives/external-dvd-drive/zendrive-u9m-sdrw-08u9m-u/
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #4
0907]
I use one of these successfully ~ https://www.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards-components/optical-drives/external-dvd-drive/zendrive-u9m-sdrw-08u9m-u/

So what sort of performance do you get from the drive in terms of speeds? I will be looking to rip using eac secure settings to ensure I get good rips, I don't mind rips taking time just not like an hour a disc.

Reply #5
from what I can see it didn't seem to show any proper track indexes
The Indexes look normal for a multiple-file cue sheet, with gaps (Noncompliant).

your right I was advised to use those settings when creating my cue sheet non compliant, and to have gaps appended to the previous track, I will freely admit I don't actually understand cue sheet structure, but want something that could be used to accurately burn the cd again if needed. So if the cue sheet all show indexes that show 0:0 as seem to be the case with the one I pasted above how is this actually a useful cue sheet, as the tracks are all different numbers of minutes and so on. Have I been using settings on bad advice up till now?

Reply #6
You are ripping to a file for each track. CUE syntax[1] says the first index of a file must start at 00:00:00.
EAC, Burrrn and ImgBurn can use the CUE to create a CD.
CUETools can use this CUE to merge all tracks to a single file image while preserving any gap (Index 00) information stored in the CUE.
see also CDRWIN Users Manual Appendix A - Cuesheet Commands
korth

Reply #7
So what sort of performance do you get from the drive in terms of speeds?
Normal 24x, I rip using burst unless there's an accuraterip issue.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #8
So what sort of performance do you get from the drive in terms of speeds?
Normal 24x, I rip using burst unless there's an accuraterip issue.

what about with secure settings if your not using burst mode what speeds do you get then? it will be essential for me to use secure settings because the cds I rip are quite obscure so generally aren't in the accurate rip database unless I add them which I generally do after a rip.