Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Track peak not saved on ogg opus (Read 886 times) previous topic - next topic

Track peak not saved on ogg opus

My issue:
Whenever i calculate replaygain on an ogg opus file, i am unable to embed Track peak and Album peak so they show up in the properties.

X
X

Ive noticed this behavior on ogg opus files and alac files. Since i waited for the first reason to convert my alacs to flac this is not that much of an issue, but since the oggs are lossy, i dont want to do a conversion.

Why am i doing this:
I am currently calculating PLR peak-to-loudness ratio inside of a custom collumn but since that script doesnt work without the peak i dont see the PLR value.

Help would be much appreciated.
And so, with digital, computer was put into place, and all the IT that came with it.

Re: Track peak not saved on ogg opus

Reply #1
Opus doesn't play nicely with ReplayGain in general, it's kinda by design. I think it's a shame and that its metadata specs/recommendations could be better. You can find some older discussions about it here on HA...

Regarding Opus peak data in Foobar, I made a thread this a few months ago. But in short, I don't think there's a solution until either Foobar changes its behavior or maybe someone makes a component that takes care of this.

Reply #2
Opus doesn't play nicely with ReplayGain in general, it's kinda by design. I think it's a shame and that its metadata specs/recommendations could be better. You can find some older discussions about it here on HA...

Regarding Opus peak data in Foobar, I made a thread this a few months ago. But in short, I don't think there's a solution until either Foobar changes its behavior or maybe someone makes a component that takes care of this.
Ah thank you. I was afraid that this was the case. I still could try to remux my opus to .webm since it works on that one. But since most recognise this as a videofile thats not quite optimal.
Edit: .mka works with my smartphone player. :)
And so, with digital, computer was put into place, and all the IT that came with it.

Reply #3
Looking for a workaround with saving track peak in Opus details, I've come across the fact that when converting some file with properly set Replygain tags to OGG, track peak for some reason is also not transferred. But unlike Opus, if you type it then, it is saved. Maybe this is a bug of Foobar2000 2.1?
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data

Reply #4
Your comment is not related to Opus' rules. Converter doesn't transfer peaks to any lossy format because the peaks don't stay the same with lossy formats. If you want correct ReplayGain information for you converted Vorbis files, configure the Converter to ReplayGain scan the files after conversion.

Reply #5
There is no standard field for peak information in Opus format.
https://wiki.xiph.org/OggOpus
The official specification only says that classic ReplayGain fields "SHOULD NOT" be used.
Please correct me if I'm missing something obvious here.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.