Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Upgrading a portable installation results in lost of order of auto playlist (Read 2859 times) previous topic - next topic

Upgrading a portable installation results in lost of order of auto playlist

As title, I wouldn't assume a simple upgrade could get my playlist f**ked, was updating from 1.5.4 to 2.0 if that matters, why there's not even a single warning when the first time I launch fb2k, or even just a line of warning on the download page?

In case this looks like a plain rant, I hope anyone that can do anything about this can at least try to let ppl aware of things like this could happen so they could be more prepared and no more ppl lose their playlist like me :(

Re: Upgrading a portable installation results in lost of order of auto playlist

Reply #1
The benefit of a portable installation is not to do that!  What you could/should have done was set up a new portable installation for FB2.0 and then copy configurations into it, with the previous installation still intact.

2.0 is very different from 1.x, as any regular readers of this forum would know.  The only sort of playlist certain to survive any sort of software update are what you've saved as a proper playlist to a file, and you're pushing your luck to rely on that.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #2
It's been almost a year since foobar2000 v2.0 beta was released.
There is enough information out there.
However, there are few sites that summarize such information.

Japanese wiki  is one of the few sites.

There are two learning methods for large updates.

1.) learn from your own mistakes.
2.) Learn by observing your surroundings.

I am always 1.).
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, SONY WH-ULT900N (ULT WEAR) (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #3
The benefit of a portable installation is not to do that!  What you could/should have done was set up a new portable installation for FB2.0 and then copy configurations into it, with the previous installation still intact.

2.0 is very different from 1.x, as any regular readers of this forum would know.  The only sort of playlist certain to survive any sort of software update are what you've saved as a proper playlist to a file, and you're pushing your luck to rely on that.

Yeah well, I'm just a random stranger enjoy fb2k for years without looking into anything deep enough, thanks for reply though

There are two learning methods for large updates.

1.) learn from your own mistakes.
2.) Learn by observing your surroundings.

I am always 1.).

Same here I guess 😅

Reply #4
I'd like to know more about what people do to cause problems for themselves. There are no warnings because upgrading to 2.0 is perfectly valid operation.

But of course upgrading from exactly version 1.5.4 was never specifically tested, so I tested it now. I made a portable foobar2000 v1.5.4, added my music library there and made a bunch of autoplaylists using album list and manually with queries and sort options. Then made a copy so I can test upgrading to both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. And as expected, both 32-bit and 64-bit upgrades performed perfectly and all autoplaylists were fully intact.

Reply #5
The problem may be that autoplaylists without automatic sorting are regenerated on upgrade, without preserving any previous manual ordering of items.

Reply #6
I think you are right. The topic talks about order too, I just didn't understand it. To me the point of autoplaylists is to sort and handle them by algorithms.
Upgrade to 2.0 and 2.1 preview sorts manually sorted autoplaylists by the sort string defined in shell integration page.

Reply #7
^ Not always. Something has changed for v2, see this similar topic. When I tested it did not fallback to Shell Integration sort string like v1 does. It seems in v2 have to specify entire sort string in query, while v1 could just have one sort field in query and then fallback for the rest. (?)

If I recall correctly, I tested putting %title% in Shell Integration sort box and restarting foobar (to regenerate auto-playlists), and v2 ignored it, while v1 sorted by query first and then %title% (easy to see since alphabetical). Then there was the strange issue of correct sorting in Library > Search window, but not the resulting auto-playlist.

(Not sure if anything has changed since current preview / beta versions, not using them)

Reply #8
I had a similar problem, I updated my 1.6. to 2.0 like I have always done for the 1.x branch, and I lost all of my Tagging Scripts.

Luckily I have a backup, but a warning on the website will be nice.

I tried to copy configuration subfolder, to the new folder, and I still don't see the tagging scripts

How are we supposed to upgrade from 1.x to 2.x in portable mode?

Reply #9
I upgraded my long-time portable folder I've been customizing for maybe a decade and I didn't lose anything. It was a 100% safe operation. Just another data point. I did make a copy of it before doing so because I'm aware there can be risks when updating, but I didn't need it this time.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #10
For me this is the first time the scripts do not get moved.

I have used portable, and upgraded it, since 0.5 or something.

This is the first time. I am still on 1.6 as I don't find a way to move them.

Reply #11
How are we supposed to upgrade from 1.x to 2.x in portable mode?
Assuming that your upgrading to 2.x 32bit it's quite simple:

• Install 2.x to a new folder in portable mode without starting it.
  • Copy the profiles folder from your 1.x folder to the 2.x folder.
  • Start your 2.x instance and wait until all conversions are done.

Upgrading to 2.x 64bit is more difficult as it requires 64bit user components, but if all necessary 64bit user components are available, it's managable. To minimize possible problems with cross-architecture upgrades I would recommend to upgrade to 2.x 32bit first and then continue:

• Install 2.x 64bit to a new folder in portable mode and start it.
  • Install all necessary 64bit user components and shut down the application.
  • Remove all files and folders except the user-components-x64 folder from the profile folder.
  • Copy all files and folders except the user-components folder from profile folder of the 32bit installation to the profile folder of the 64bit installation.
  • Start your 2.x 64bit instance and hope that the 32bit user comonent's configuration can be read by the 64bit application.

Reply #12
I had a similar problem, I updated my 1.6. to 2.0 like I have always done for the 1.x branch, and I lost all of my Tagging Scripts.
Do you mean the scripts stored with Masstagger component? If you do, I am once again baffled. They are migrated just like every other setting is migrated, there is nothing special one needs to do.

If you upgrade from 32-bit foobar2000 to 64-bit foobar2000, you just need to install the component again. Only standard components coming in the installer get updated to 64-bits on their own.

Reply #13
The currently latest foobar2000 v2.1 preview 2023-08-23 fixes autoplaylist order issues.

Reply #14
The currently latest foobar2000 v2.1 preview 2023-08-23 fixes autoplaylist order issues.

foobar2000 v2.1 preview 2023-08-23

With the darkone it doesn't start and if it starts it crashes

Reply #15
foo_jesus and foo_multisource
Temporarily go to desktop.

Can you boot from it?
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, SONY WH-ULT900N (ULT WEAR) (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #17
foo_wave_minibar_mod and foo_uie_lyrics3

Reply #19
no need to delete.
TEST.
Temporarily go to desktop.
Can you start foobar?
----------
JScript Panel 3
Text Display

Spider Monkey Panel:
Wil-B SMP Script

These seem fine.

Reply #21
show me the crash reports.

foo_wave_minibar_mod and foo_uie_lyrics3
Did you move the component to your desktop?

Reply #23
foo_wave_minibar_mod.dll (2023-07-11 15:11:38 UTC)
Waveform Minibar (mod) 1.2.55

still remains.
----------
Just back up that Portable installation folder.

Reply #24
foo_wave_minibar_mod.dll (2023-07-11 15:11:38 UTC)
Waveform Minibar (mod) 1.2.55

still remains.
----------
Just back up that Portable installation folder.

I removed manually Waveform Minibar (mod) 1.2.55 /  foo_uie_lyrics3

and the skin started without crashing

But I can't remove Waveform Minibar (mod) 1.2.55