Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HowTo .dsf --> .flac (Read 4702 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: HowTo .dsf --> .flac

Reply #25
@Pocus
I haven't found a way to create a dsf with DST for me.
When I convert the dff to dsf format, it is unpacked and is back to its old size.
(By the way, simply renaming doesn't work either.)

Reply #26
@Pocus
I haven't found a way to create a dsf with DST for me.
When I convert the dff to dsf format, it is unpacked and is back to its old size.
(By the way, simply renaming doesn't work either.)

Beats me, but for what it is worth: Tried the utility on the bottom of https://www.signalyst.com/professional.html ?

Reply #27
Is that really just the noise filter?
Yes.

Source was DSD64.
Here is example of spectrogram after ffmpeg -af "aresample=96000:resampler=soxr:precision=28, lowpass=f=30000":

sox rate -v 96000 sinc -30k

ffmpeg -f lavfi -i "sinc=r=96000:lp=30000, pan=stereo|c0=c0|c1=c0" -lavfi "aresample=96000:resampler=soxr:precision=28, afir=gtype=none"

Reply #28
@Porcus
OK. The conversion from .dff to .dsf only works with DSD data. DST packed .dff will not be accepted.
This doesn't shrink the file.

@Bogozo
Thanks for the presentation. Wow. I would not have thought that.

Reply #29
I have now converted the files to .flac.
2 variants are possible.
What is better ?
Version 1: 16bit 352800kHz --> generates a bitrate of 15.2Mb/s
Version 2: 24bit 192000khz --> generates a bitrate of 7728kb/s

Reply #30
Both are a waste of space. The conversion will never be lossless, so you should aim for a smaller size instead.

If you're still going to use FLAC, I suggest 16-bit 48 kHz.

Reply #31
Thanks Octocontrabass.
OK. I will do it in practice. But in theory. What would be better. Small bit depth, high sample rate and the resulting high bit rate, or the other version.

Reply #32
What would be better. Small bit depth, high sample rate and the resulting high bit rate, or the other version.

"Better" is a matter of opinion, as in most things audio.  The only way to find out is ABX (ie a blind listening test where you don't know what source you are listening to at the time and score it without psychological bias), and different listeners might well come up with a different answer.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.