Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What audio codec to choose for archival from a7rii source? (Read 1271 times) previous topic - next topic

What audio codec to choose for archival from a7rii source?

Source as follows: https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7r-ii/sony-a7r-iiDAT.HTM
Movie File Format:XAVC S / AVCHD 2.0 / MP4; Audio: LPCM / Dolby Digital (AC-3) / MPEG-4 AAC-LC, stereo

I want imperceptible difference while saving max disk space. What will be the most ideal? OPUS 144 or HE-AAC 160? or anything else that's suitable for space-friendly archival?

Thanks!

Re: What audio codec to choose for archival from a7rii source?

Reply #1
You want to "archive" the audio only? If it is AC-3 or AAC, it is likely a small part of the file, video is typically bigger.
Try a few files with ffmpeg -i <infilename> to see what audio codecs are in use, and then extract the audio: if it is AAC, try
ffmpeg -i infilename -acodec copy -vn -sn outfilename.m4a
If it is AC-3, replace ".m4a" by ".ac3" or ".mka" depending on what your playback chain supports.

If it is LPCM, there is a potential for saving big %%s (relative to the audio portion, not so much relative to video). But since you only quoted the camera's capabilities and not what you have actually been using: check that first. It might be a lossy of such a small size that you are satisfied with the size, and for "archival" you want to do as little as possible to it.