Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Merge FLAC files without gaps: use CueTools or Foobar? (Read 2549 times) previous topic - next topic

Merge FLAC files without gaps: use CueTools or Foobar?

I have a continuous mix CD without gaps consisting of single flac files. I want to merge these flac files into 1 flac file. I can use CueTools for this, but also Foobar.

Use CueTools: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,121253.0.html

Use Foobar: https://www.wikihow-fun.com/Join-FLAC-Files

Is there any difference? How do they work with gaps? They need to merge without any silence between the tracks.

Re: Merge FLAC files without gaps: use CueTools or Foobar?

Reply #1
If you just need to merge files, both are fine.
If you want convert tracks+cue to image+cue and have all indexes transferred to new cue, use CUETools, because foobar2000 will only write indexes 01 to cue.

Reply #2
CUETools note: FLAC files must be 2-channel, 16-bit, 44,100 Hz, and start/end on a CD frame boundary. If the audio in the FLAC file does not end on a CD frame boundary, CUETools will pad null samples to the next CD frame boundary before adding the next track.
I'm not sure how foobar2000 handles the same situation.
korth

Reply #3
If the audio in the FLAC file does not end on a CD frame boundary, CUETools will pad null samples to the next CD frame boundary before adding the next track.
I'm not sure how foobar2000 handles the same situation.
foobar2000 will not pad. It just aligns samples between tracks. So on this case it must be preferred.

Reply #4
I have a continuous mix CD without gaps consisting of single flac files
You may want to be more precise.
You later write that you do not want gaps inserted - we agree that you usually don't want that - but "mix CD" ... does that mean you want to make a "various artists mixtape" CD with one track from this source and one track from that?
Or have you a collection with one file per track and want to convert everything to one file (+ cue) per CD?

Reply #5
As it’s from a CD, use cuetools to create an image + cue

Reply #6
Thanks for all the reactions!

To be more precise, it is an existing compilation CD (Buddha Bar - Summer Vibes).

I didn't rip the CD myself. A CUE file is not necessary in my case. The output must be a FLAC file.

I used Foobar for this and read the created file into Audacity. Below that, I put track 1 (separate file). I compared the transition and saw no silences or anything like that.

So the Foobar solution what good.