Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v2.0 bugs (Read 136033 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foobar2000 v2.0 bugs

Reply #226
That's not true. Beside the Playback Statistics database, the data (rating etc.) can be written to file tags. This can be done automatically by store playback statistics in file tags in Preferences or manually by Write statistics to file tags in context menu. If you loose the playback statistics database, restore it with Import statistics from file tags in context menu.

You can try it yourself, just add a random song file, rate it, move it to a different folder, add that song again, you can see that the rating is lost. The rating is tied to the original location so the rating is only for that exact location. The old foo_playcount does't have this issue.

I do not want to write anything to tag.

Reply #227
From: https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:File_Operations_(foo_fileops)
Data from the official playback statistics component is preserved when moving files.
Note: If the files are moved to a folder which is not monitored by the Media Library, they will be removed from the Media Library and playback statistics will also be lost.

Reply #228
From: https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:File_Operations_(foo_fileops)
Data from the official playback statistics component is preserved when moving files.
Note: If the files are moved to a folder which is not monitored by the Media Library, they will be removed from the Media Library and playback statistics will also be lost.

The old foo_playcount can rate and preserve data for song not in the library as well, and if the file is moved, whether it is monitored or not, the data is still there for it.

The one in 2.0 cannot do any of that, even for song in the folder monitored by the library.

If this is really not a bug, I hope the old foo_playcount will be allowed to function again because it has exactly what I need.

Reply #229
No idea, but did you delete the sqlite database files and reread the media library?

I didn't, no - reinstalling without deleting AppData didn't fix the problem for me, but deleting AppData did. So the problem must have been somewhere in there...

Reply #230
Beta 12 - High CPU usage on my old 32bit Windows 10 fully patched

Hello, I am sorry I didn't extensively tested beta 11, however, this new Beta 12 along with the last Windows 10 updates (I don't know which one is the main responsible) make my old 32bit Windows 10 PC unusable.
Over 80% of CPU usage reported and continuous audio cuts and whistles (also updated Behringer UMC ASIO driver).

Regards, Andrea

Hello @Gus., @Chibisteven , I think the problem was not completely due to Foobar v2.
I rebooted the PC and the CPU load went down by itself. Probably something was leftover from the previous MS Win update.

Moreover, I found that my buffering settings were all 0. Thereof I set these to my so far used sizes (see attached).

Doing so, Foobar v2 can now play smoothly comparable with previous v1.6.
Due to my quite demanding audio setup and relatively low performance 32bit PC, the CPU usage is so:
- 44kHz 16bit FLAC => 50% CPU
- SACD ISO => 70% CPU
This is fine for me now. I can play anything.

If anyone has / knows a better/optimal Buffer setting, please let me know.

Thanks for your support
Regards, Andrea

I find that leaving the file buffering at defaults is best.  Output buffer usually has more impact against drop outs as everything has time to be fully processed through the whole foobar2000 chain, especially on really old, slow computers, on more modern, faster ones like mine it makes no difference at all where things are set but can provide some protection if a mechanical hard drive is put under a continuous heavy load.

The network buffering might be fine to adjust if your internet connection isn't very stable but I leave the file buffering at it's defaults.

I switch between 1 and 30 seconds depending on what I'm doing.  If I'm playing a whole playlist nonstop then exclusive mode works best so I set it to 30 seconds and leave it running.  Otherwise I use shared mode with 1 second as it's much more responsive when making changes in the DSP area for example as I don't have to wait long for changes to take effect.

As for your settings: Change your full file buffering to 0 KB.  500 MB will put a huge load on your CPU and consume a large amount of RAM.  Instead adjust only the read ahead until it plays smoothly or increase the output buffer.

I had stutter issues on an old Intel Core 2 Quad Q660/P5Q Mobo with Wasapi, ASIO and ASIO+DSD.  I need ASIO for my Exasound DAC which doesn't support WASAPI.  I'm still using an Old M-Audio 192 and resolved WASAPI stutter on this one by changing the Hardware buffer to 50ms as per pic below.  For ASIO thx to Andrea and Chibisteven the Read-Ahead increase for local files was mostly the culprit in my case.  I had a very large full file buffering and not sure why this should be left at zero if I have plenty of RAM on the PC...Anyway still playing with this but so far so good.  For casual listening while working I resample everything with Sox to 384 KHz and use the old continuator DSP as I have all kinds of files (lossy,redbook, Hi-Res and DSD)... Usually works fine but has been a bit of a challenge on this Old PC but makes me see where the bottlenecks are!!

Reply #231
Beta 12 - High CPU usage on my old 32bit Windows 10 fully patched

Hello, I am sorry I didn't extensively tested beta 11, however, this new Beta 12 along with the last Windows 10 updates (I don't know which one is the main responsible) make my old 32bit Windows 10 PC unusable.
Over 80% of CPU usage reported and continuous audio cuts and whistles (also updated Behringer UMC ASIO driver).

Regards, Andrea

Hello @Gus., @Chibisteven , I think the problem was not completely due to Foobar v2.
I rebooted the PC and the CPU load went down by itself. Probably something was leftover from the previous MS Win update.

Moreover, I found that my buffering settings were all 0. Thereof I set these to my so far used sizes (see attached).

Doing so, Foobar v2 can now play smoothly comparable with previous v1.6.
Due to my quite demanding audio setup and relatively low performance 32bit PC, the CPU usage is so:
- 44kHz 16bit FLAC => 50% CPU
- SACD ISO => 70% CPU
This is fine for me now. I can play anything.

If anyone has / knows a better/optimal Buffer setting, please let me know.

Thanks for your support
Regards, Andrea

I find that leaving the file buffering at defaults is best.  Output buffer usually has more impact against drop outs as everything has time to be fully processed through the whole foobar2000 chain, especially on really old, slow computers, on more modern, faster ones like mine it makes no difference at all where things are set but can provide some protection if a mechanical hard drive is put under a continuous heavy load.

The network buffering might be fine to adjust if your internet connection isn't very stable but I leave the file buffering at it's defaults.

I switch between 1 and 30 seconds depending on what I'm doing.  If I'm playing a whole playlist nonstop then exclusive mode works best so I set it to 30 seconds and leave it running.  Otherwise I use shared mode with 1 second as it's much more responsive when making changes in the DSP area for example as I don't have to wait long for changes to take effect.

As for your settings: Change your full file buffering to 0 KB.  500 MB will put a huge load on your CPU and consume a large amount of RAM.  Instead adjust only the read ahead until it plays smoothly or increase the output buffer.

I had stutter issues on an old Intel Core 2 Quad Q660/P5Q Mobo with Wasapi, ASIO and ASIO+DSD.  I need ASIO for my Exasound DAC which doesn't support WASAPI.  I'm still using an Old M-Audio 192 and resolved WASAPI stutter on this one by changing the Hardware buffer to 50ms as per pic below.  For ASIO thx to Andrea and Chibisteven the Read-Ahead increase for local files was mostly the culprit in my case.  I had a very large full file buffering and not sure why this should be left at zero if I have plenty of RAM on the PC...Anyway still playing with this but so far so good.  For casual listening while working I resample everything with Sox to 384 KHz and use the old continuator DSP as I have all kinds of files (lossy,redbook, Hi-Res and DSD)... Usually works fine but has been a bit of a challenge on this Old PC but makes me see where the bottlenecks are!!
Still stutters no matter what parameters I use with ASIO or ASIO+DSD...Works just fine with my other player

Reply #232
Still stutters no matter what parameters I use with ASIO or ASIO+DSD...Works just fine with my other player

It's the age of CPU probably.  That CPU is Q1 2007.  So it's quite old.   It's an XP / Vista era CPU.  It's going to struggle with modern applications.

Reply #233
I'm also getting extremely high CPU usage on occasion, no clues as to why. Granted I also have an older processor (Core i3 2100), but I am not used to seeing foobar2000 using 70% CPU while idle/monitoring, I'm used to seeing single figures even with my admittedly bloated setup ~ a large library (six figures) and a lot of playlists, some of which I could dispense with, minibar, rainbow spectrum visible at all times, and I'm also using JS Smooth Browser which to be honest hasn't been working well ever since upgrading either, with regular crashes especially with larger playlists, so I may just give it the bum's rush since I rarely use it anyway.

On the plus side, memory use actually seems to have gone down. May just make a few adjustments to see if I can improve performance.

Reply #234
I'm also using JS Smooth Browser which to be honest hasn't been working well ever since upgrading either, with regular crashes especially with larger playlists, so I may just give it the bum's rush since I rarely use it anyway.

Well that's nonsensical. Smooth Browser is a library viewer. The size of your playlists will have zero affect on it

(edit: i guess you could be using older versions with playlist supprt but they were buggy as hell and should be avoided - and I'd assume most playlists are going to be smaller than an entire library??)

BTW, the latest version JScript Panel 3 is optimised for fb2k v2 and has lots of performance tweaks and fixes for the included smooth scripts. Performance still might suck for large collections but I would fix any errors if there were reported.

Anyone using SMP versions should seriously consider switching or not using. They haven't been updated in years and are unlikely to be,

Reply #237

It's the age of CPU probably.  That CPU is Q1 2007.  So it's quite old.   It's an XP / Vista era CPU.  It's going to struggle with modern applications.
True...But it's OC'd from 2.4 to 3.2GHz, has been stable like this for years and working just fine however yes the P5Q Mobo, memory etc... may come at play here too...And I'm running W11 on it so I'm pushing my luck!!

But back to my point, if I can make it play just fine with my other Player it should also play fine with Foobar ASIO?... Any thoughts on my parameters? CPU usage of Foobar V2 is always below 5-10 percent with memory usage of around 100 to 300 MB depending on the file played.

Reply #238
True...But it's OC'd from 2.4 to 3.2GHz, has been stable like this for years and working just fine however yes the P5Q Mobo, memory etc... may come at play here too...And I'm running W11 on it so I'm pushing my luck!!

But back to my point, if I can make it play just fine with my other Player it should also play fine with Foobar ASIO?... Any thoughts on my parameters? CPU usage of Foobar V2 is always below 5-10 percent with memory usage of around 100 to 300 MB depending on the file played.

Maybe your luck ran out?  Running Windows 11 on an unsupported CPU that is really too old, I mean what on Earth could go wrong there?  Honestly it be a waste of my time to figure out exactly what is going wrong here because you have all the red flags of a very risky and potentially very problematic system configuration.  Just because other applications are running fine at the moment doesn't mean that they'll continue to do so in the future.

Reply #239
There are 3 ASIO output components that I know of:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_out_asio%2Bdsd/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/foobar2000-wasap2-output/
If none of them are working properly with high buffers, maybe you should consider trying alternative ASIO drivers:
https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO
https://www.asio4all.org/
Also try the Thread Priority settings in Foobar, maybe disable MMCSS...

Reply #240
Tried the latest Beta 12.

Bug 1: Media Library "Simple Search" is a bit broken.
Simple search was supposed to search matching text among metadata OR FILEPATH. Now the FILEPATH part doesn't work.

Bug 2: Refacet's search textbox size limits how many characters you can type per search??
If the textbox (searchbox? Just the place where I type search keywords) is too small, you can only type a few characters at max.
This bug only happens with Refacet searchbox. (The Facets search box isn't having this problem.)

Imagine trying to walk around Bug 1 by searching "%path% HAS whatiwant" instead of "whatiwant", only to encounter bug 2 which prevents me from typing this many characters in one search.

Not a bug 3: The sort by name behavior changed.
In 2.0 Beta 12, names start with numbers (eg. 1,2,3) is sorted before names start with [.
Back in 1.x version, [, and even 【 (which is a 2 byte character) is sorted before numbers.
Now in 2.0 Beta 12, 【, as well as all other 2 byte characters, are sorted after all 1 byte characters.

Reply #241
V2 bugs noticed

Apply to 32 bit version since supporting components for the following don't seem to be supported

All ISO files will play etc when file>open but none of them appear in FB album or folder listings and wont be found with text searches

Quick Tagger occasionally  will tag a file but mostly it does nothing

Reply #242
I didn't say you were making it up. I just suggested using the latest version and reporting bugs as you encounter them. Common sense is not so common these days.

I'm not using J Script Panel 3, I am using Spider Monkey Panel. I say "using", I'm not really using it/can live without it. If I needed to switch to this component that is news to me. In any case, it is very likely unrelated to the main issue I'm struggling with - foobar spiking to and then idling at over 70% CPU usage and staying there indefinitely. It's basically unusable software until I can figure out what is causing this or what's happening. I'm keeping my task manager open while using foobar to try and find any rhyme or reason. It'd be good if there was some way I could see what internal processes are active in foobar because I am left completely guessing at it.

Reply #243
Just a reminder from the release notes ...

Before reporting bugs...
Please verify that any bugs can be recreated WITHOUT ANY COMPONENTS first. ESPECIALLY without any components that have not yet been specifically updated for foobar2000 v2.0. Due to design changes, many components will suffer from performance issues until refactored for the new database system.

Reply #244
UI Element "Tabs" related

Hi All, I just noticed that UI elements associated to tabs are usig significant CPU resources also wheno not in focus (not the active tab).

To be more precise, let me give you a real case on my 32bit Windows 10 running FB v2 beta 12:

Case 1 (optimal):
- FB setup as per my baseline config
- Added a UI Tabs having only 1 tab associated with the UI element Console (all time in focuse / visible)
- Overal CPU usage playing a regular FLAC 44kHz 16bit => 25%

Case 2 (the bad case):
- FB setup as per my baseline config
- Added a UI Tabs having 3 tabs associated with the UI elements Console, Peak Meter, Spectrum
- Overal CPU usage playing a regular FLAC 44kHz 16bit:
     - having focus on Console tab (the only visible) => 47%
     - having focus on Spectrum tab (the only visible) => 65%
     - having focus on Feak meter tab (the only visible) => 55%

Is it normal this behavior? I mean, is it by design?
I would expect that UI elements in the backgroud (not in focus) should not use so much CPU resource.

All the best, Andrea

Reply #245
Strange "error loading" reported at Console output on startup (only):

User Interface initialized in: 0:02.384614
[foo_acfu] error loading cache entry 19EECCD4-18C6-40AE-94BC-B0631D77E38D: unregistered source: 19EECCD4-18C6-40AE-94BC-B0631D77E38D
[foo_acfu] error loading cache entry 5D818F39-C68C-4522-BF43-D9CF2FF72010: unregistered source: 5D818F39-C68C-4522-BF43-D9CF2FF72010
[foo_acfu] error loading cache entry 61368423-3FDC-44DA-9924-984480BA15B5: unregistered source: 61368423-3FDC-44DA-9924-984480BA15B5
[foo_acfu] error loading cache entry 94974E25-6AA2-418D-927D-41093087A6D2: unregistered source: 94974E25-6AA2-418D-927D-41093087A6D2
[foo_acfu] error loading cache entry C5F5D92C-482B-4938-83AC-B672BC3687E8: unregistered source: C5F5D92C-482B-4938-83AC-B672BC3687E8

Hi All, any idea why I am having this?
FB v2 beta 12 looks anyway working quite fine.

Regards, Andrea

Reply #247
foo_acfu is a 3rd party component so ask the developer. This thread is the last place you should be asking about it.

Thanks @marc2k3 , I was not aware of that or I forgot it. I will search for the appropriate thread...

Reply #248
FB v2 Beta 12 - BUG: False "file corrupted error" reported on restart from long pause

Hi All, I think this is a bug because never seen before with FB v1.6

Anytime I put on pause any audio file for at least 30minutes, then on restart the audio stream works fine for 10-20 seconds and then stops reporting something like "corrupted file".

It is a false error becaure file verifier reports file OK and also because replaying it again it plays perfectly until its end.

Regards, Andrea

Reply #249
All ISO files will play etc when file>open but none of them appear in FB album or folder listings and wont be found with text searches
I had the same issue after upgrading to the 64 bit version. I rolled back to v2 32 bit but needed to delete all V2 %appdata% folders so it would reimport and update the database from version 1.16 and that fixed this issue for me.