Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC and DRM (Read 6709 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: EAC and DRM

Reply #25
-594 being the difference in the offset used (600) and the drives actual offset (6).
I guess my question is: suppose you aren't using EAC and don't know what your drive offset is. The AR results will probably show you at least one result that says "offsetted by 6", because that's your drive's offset; however, the AR results may also show you "offsetted by 14" or some other number, because your drive's offset is 6, and that particular pressing was written with an offset of 8. If you don't know what your drive's offset is, how are you supposed to pick the correct offset for your drive from the AR log if the disc has multiple pressings with different offsets?

As far as I can tell, you can't. You have to look up your drive's offset in the AR database in order to know which offset number to pick if your disc has multiple pressings with different offsets. The only way to use the AR log to find your drive's offset is if you rip a disc that has only one pressing (or multiple pressings that all use the same offset).

To emulate without the need for ripping, just verify an image in CUETools then modify the offset in CUETools and verify again
I used this method to verify my rip. I changed the CUETools offset to 102 and then verified again, and then AR recognised the disc. I then used the encode mode to split the tracks with the 102 offset applied so I'd get the same WAV files as if I had ripped with the correct 102 offset originally.

By "recognised the disc", I mean I did not see this:

Code: [Select]
[AccurateRip ID: 0011590f-008dc7c1-9b0dcc0b] found.
Track   [  CRC   |   V2   ] Status
 01     [4a5640cb|d2115bf7] (000+000/404) No match
 02     [d9d496d2|c5b4c939] (000+000/404) No match
 03     [f5363be8|dae8b933] (000+000/404) No match

When I saw "no match" (or "not found" -- I don't remember which) upon trying to verify the rip with an offset of 0, I interpreted this as "not accurate" and sought a way to fix the incorrect offset. I just ignored all the other AR results saying "offsetted by x", because I don't know what to do with that information. I'd have to rip the disc again to see what the CUETools log said exactly.

Reply #26
I guess my question is: suppose you aren't using EAC and don't know what your drive offset is. The AR results will probably show you at least one result that says "offsetted by 6", because that's your drive's offset; however, the AR results may also show you "offsetted by 14" or some other number, because your drive's offset is 6, and that particular pressing was written with an offset of 8. If you don't know what your drive's offset is, how are you supposed to pick the correct offset for your drive from the AR log if the disc has multiple pressings with different offsets?

Absolutely, if you don't have the CD drive and/or you don't have EAC, CUERipper or dBpoweramp installed then there's no way from a single verify pass of a rip to know what the correct offset for the CD drive that was used to produce that rip is. However, if you have a number of rips produced by the same drive and you run verify passes across those rips then the offset will be the common offset amongst those rips. An example of this situation came up last week on the dBpoweramp forums.

Reply #27
Most likely "+6" in that example yes.
Now suppose the user had tried two CDs of pressings that were never submitted to AR. Then nothing with the +6 would have ever showed up (which is the reason why you should not use rare CDs for determining drive read offset). 
But, the rips would still have been verified as accurate rips, by the entries at -6 or the +670/+680 - and that is what you want from using AccurateRip eh?

Reply #28
But if your particular pressing is not in AccurateRip, do you want an AccurateRip check or do you not?
Ok, in a context different to that which was being discussed; if I had a rip from an accurately configured drive of a disc which I'd ripped maybe a couple of times and the output of which was exactly the same, I'm not sure I would change it to match another.

Reply #29
Absolutely, if you don't have the CD drive and/or you don't have EAC, CUERipper or dBpoweramp installed then there's no way from a single verify pass of a rip to know what the correct offset for the CD drive that was used to produce that rip is.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. :) If I were going to use Linux extensively, I would probably go through the effort of configuring WINE and EAC, but I wasn't about to do that just to rip one disc.