Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 decoder compliance tests (Read 1865 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 decoder compliance tests

I wonder if anyone would be interested in redoing the tests here:

http://mp3decoders.mp3-tech.org

With libMAD 0.15.1b, with a frontend that actually supports LAME, Xing, and iTunes gapless info tags.

It would also be interesting to see how many modern decoder implementations support any of the gapless encoding tags.

And the bit depth parts of the test should be done with floating point output of decoders, doing any down conversion to 16 bits or 24 bits using truncation or rounding only, no dithering.

I'm sort of thinking that most of the docked scores that MAD got there were due to using the stock Winamp plugin for decoding, which had forced dithering applied. MAD itself doesn't actually dither results, but produces 4.28 fixed point precision.

Their decoder (and encoder) tests are also freakin' old, having missed out on the last 3 years of MAD's progress to a slightly newer version, and missed out on 21 years of LAME's progress.

Probably no point to messing with this stuff these days, though. I'm just trying to give myself warm fuzzies for making another MP3 decoder plugin without much extra work on top of the original developer's, reviving a piece of code I removed 9 years ago.

Re: MP3 decoder compliance tests

Reply #2
It is, after all, a really old web site. And it was kind of a ridiculous time, where decoders were outright broken. And I guess this person didn't know anything about standards compliance testing streams.