Skip to main content

Notice

Please be aware that much of the software linked to or mentioned on this forum is niche and therefore infrequently downloaded. Lots of anti-virus scanners and so-called malware detectors like to flag infrequently downloaded software as bad until it is either downloaded enough times, or its developer actually bothers with getting each individual release allow listed by every single AV vendor. You can do many people a great favor when encountering such a "problem" example by submitting them to your AV vendor for examination. For almost everything on this forum, it is a false positive.
Topic: No sound from DSD files (Read 507 times) previous topic - next topic

No sound from DSD files

I've recently purchased a Simaudio Moon 280D DAC. I have followed on-line instructions for setup but when I play DSD files there is no sound. The slider moves to indicate the song is playing but there is no sound and there are no level meters moving as when I play FLAC files.

I have been trying in vain for several days to fix this so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Re: No sound from DSD files

Reply #2
First thing to check is see if your volume sliders in Foobar and Window are turned all the way up. Should this thing be outputting DoP, any kind of modification anywhere will pretty much break it.

That being said, that DAC appears to support native DSD over ASIO. Getting everything to work is a bit tricky. I'll tell you what you should have so you can verify you already have them or need to get them.

foo_input_sacd - https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/
dsdtranscoder - https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/dsd_transcoder/
ASIO component - https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio

foo_input_sacd is used for playing back DSF/DFF/ISO DSD content.
dsdtranscoder is used to convert between DoP and native DSD for ASIO because the SACD component only outputs DoP
The ASIO component is needed to talk ASIO.

Also make sure you have the Moon Audio ASIO DSD driver installed. This is apparently not part of the standard driver arrangement.

After you install all of those, go to Preferences -> Playback -> Output -> ASIO and double click on the DSD Transcoder (DoP/Native). Once the window loads, you'll want to pick your 208D DAC under devices. Under that you'll see a bunch of DoP and DSD entries with two columns, 44.1k and 48k. Click the dash next to the DoP entries and select DSD on the menu that pops up. Your device only supports up to DSD256, so your window should look like this:

The transition width of 750 is a good starting point. This pads the start of a stream with DSD data to give your DAC time to flip modes. If the start of DSD content is getting cut off, try increasing that.

Now that you've done that, go back to Preferences -> Output. Select the "DSD : ASIO : DSD Transcoder(DoP/Native)" device.

You should be getting DSD playback using native DSD over ASIO mode. If this doesn't work or you don't see your DAC under DSD Transcoder's selection; make sure you install the

DoP Playback will also work; it basically involves formatting the DSD stream to look like PCM that's picked up by the DAC's microcontroller and converted back to a DSD stream. In cases where you can't run ASIO or have a device that native doesn't work on. The primary requirement for DoP playback is that you have a "bit-perfect" playback; this means using ASIO or WASPI exclusive modes with all volume mixers set to max and any windows audio enhancements set to off. In this case you wouldn't need the DSD transcoder and would select the "DSD : ASIO(WASAPI) : DAC NAME" device under playback.

You can leave your output device on the DSD : prefixed device; it will output PCM when source isn't DSD.
SMSL SU-8 -> Little Bear P5 -> Sansui SE-8 - Denon PMA-770 -> Ohm Model L | High-Res Lover | DSD Enthusiast | Mad SACD-Scientist

Reply #3
Thanks, Dewdude, still no sound from DSD but in your reply you wrote "You should be getting DSD playback using native DSD over ASIO mode. If this doesn't work or you don't see your DAC under DSD Transcoder's selection; make sure you install the" and didn't tell me what it was to install. Maybe this is what's missing. Presently 24/96 and 24/192 flac files play perfectly well but DSD files, while appearing to play, still have no sound.

Brad

Reply #4
Success at last! Now that it's working (even my one-and-only DSD256 album  plays) I won't be messing about with the settings! LOL

Thanks for the assistance!

Brad

Reply #5
@dewdude : very helpful write-up, thanks!

Reply #6
Thanks, Dewdude, still no sound from DSD but in your reply you wrote "You should be getting DSD playback using native DSD over ASIO mode. If this doesn't work or you don't see your DAC under DSD Transcoder's selection; make sure you install the" and didn't tell me what it was to install. Maybe this is what's missing. Presently 24/96 and 24/192 flac files play perfectly well but DSD files, while appearing to play, still have no sound.

Brad

Whoops! That must have gotten cut off.

I was talking about ASIO drivers for your device, or "ASIO DSD" drivers. Sometimes the drivers they use for DSD over ASIO aren't part of the normal? Ive seen special DSD ASIO from some places.

But glad you got it working.
SMSL SU-8 -> Little Bear P5 -> Sansui SE-8 - Denon PMA-770 -> Ohm Model L | High-Res Lover | DSD Enthusiast | Mad SACD-Scientist

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021