Skip to main content

Notice

Please be aware that much of the software linked to or mentioned on this forum is niche and therefore infrequently downloaded. Lots of anti-virus scanners and so-called malware detectors like to flag infrequently downloaded software as bad until it is either downloaded enough times, or its developer actually bothers with getting each individual release allow listed by every single AV vendor. You can do many people a great favor when encountering such a "problem" example by submitting them to your AV vendor for examination. For almost everything on this forum, it is a false positive.
Topic: exhale - Open Source xHE-AAC encoder (Read 65315 times) previous topic - next topic
Corsair and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: exhale - Open Source xHE-AAC encoder

Reply #600
Do you still have compiles for windows for exhale-develop-1.1.0rc4-c71ec480? Which bitrate is stereo SBR (d preset) for that commit?

Reply #602
From the tests I did exhale works practically everywhere, below I leave you the binary (last commit) for Linux on armv6l:
exhale.gz - update: download video.

From a practical standpoint it means that your router or powerline adapter could compress a monaural audio file into about 50% of its playing time. I have no ideas about possible uses, but these SBCs cost very little, in Europe they can be bought for less than 6 euros including taxes and perhaps one of the easiest to find is the Raspberry PI Zero, with 1GHz single-core CPU, 512MB RAM and works also as a USB gadget.

These are SoC very popular in the past, the armv6 architecture is the same as the first iPod touch, the first iPhone, the second and 3G too.

Reply #603
Compared to NetRanger's last RC, there is only a slight stabilization for strongly out-of-phase input (which should occur very rarely, if at all) at CVBR modes 5 and above.

Nowadays lots of Stereo-sources are Dolby-Surround coded, which means that all back facing sounds are 180° phase shifted between L an R channels.
So I really doubt that out of phase contents are a rare condition. They are commonplace.

Reply #604
Must be really fun listening to crap like that on headphones, like I usually do.

Reply #605
Indeed. scharfis_brain, is Dolby Surround encoded stereo audio still really that commonplace? The last audio CD in my collection on which I saw that (German band Schiller) is 20 years old.

I just released a relatively urgent release candidate of exhale 1.1.3 which, hopefully, improves the compatibility of exhale generated .m4a files a bit more. See this commit. Please let me know as soon as possible whether there are any compilation or stdin-encoding or playback related issues on any platforms.

Update: To everyone using (or thinking about using) exhale to generate xHE-AAC files for streaming applications: apart from fixing the generation of immediate playout frames (IPFs) once more, this version allows you to specify a program loudness (LUFS) and sample peak (dBFS) level as additional command-line arguments between the existing preset and file arguments. Note that, when doing so, you need to specify both, the LUFS and dBFS value (if you don't have the peak sample value, I guess you can use something like -0.01).

Example: for encoding with SBR at ~48 kbit/s stereo and with the input audio (here, WAVE file inStereo.wav) having loudness level -12.34 LUFS and sample peak level -0.123 dBFS, use
"exhale.exe b -12.34 -0.123 inStereo.wav outStereo.m4a"
or, when using stdin (e.g. via foobar2000) instead of file based encoding,
"exhale.exe b -12.34 -0.123 outStereo.m4a"
On operating systems other than Windows, adjust the spelling of "exhale.exe" accordingly.

This feature allows you to encapsulate proper loudness information even in the IPFs, which is important for streaming applications where the receiver can tune in to the stream at any time (i.e., any IPF) and cannot rely on the MPEG-4 file header. It is also beneficial for offline use cases such as file based encoding for personal archiving purposes, in order for the loudness information in the IPFs to match that in the MPEG-4 header (which always contains the actual audio loudness and peak sample level measured by exhale during encoding). So you need to make sure that the LUFS/dBFS values that you pass to the exhale application math those reported by the application once the encoding is complete.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #606
The commit 8cdc188b compiles without errors on Linux and macOS (I have tested only for armv7l and arm64).

Reply #608
Intel compiles of exhale-v1.1.3-8cdc188b now at Rarewares. (Compiles cleanly with no errors. ;))

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021