Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Who Here Has Their Albums At OGG?? (Read 909 times) previous topic - next topic

Who Here Has Their Albums At OGG??

Anybody else keep there music collection at OGG.  I like OGG it sounds really dam good and it is like 40% to 65% smaller than FLACs.  What I do it is download albums in FLAC then I down convert them to Q10 500kbs with Mediamonkey.  I have like 8500 albums if they were all in FLAC they would take up 3tb maybe more space I not a fan of albums taking 450mb to 850mb.  Hardcore FLAC downloaders are really anal about FLACs all other audio codecs are garbage to them S M H.  I bet these FLAC downloaders have never listened to 1 to 3 500kbs OGG albums all the way through.  IMO I can not tell the deference between OGG and FLAC I have listened to both on decent speakers. 

Re: Who Here Has Their Albums At OGG??

Reply #1
I have converted most of my albums to OGG. Before, I stored them in FLAC, the amount of data was very large. Today, I have 225 GB in OGG. To my ears, I don't "see" differences. I convert the songs to q10.
wagner reatto

Reply #2
Bizarre thread. Keep the FLAC, it's lossless so you can convert to whichever lossy format you want to in future. 3TB is nothing as far as HDD space is concerned these days.

Reply #3
Wouldn't this count as spam?
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #4
I think that 500 kbit/s is not enough for lossy files. I think that you need to use atleast 1000000 kbit/s. Just to be sure. /s
Main point of lossy files is transparency at smallest size. Vorbis (OGG is container, not format) achieves this at 192 kbit/s.
What you are doing makes zero sense.
Everything above 16/44 is scam.
Always download first release, never remastered/HD release.

Reply #5
When you purchase something in lossless form, you're getting full quality form; it's the full mix at that sample rate, to listen to or examine with as you please; you actually own it. Neither Vorbis nor Opus are designed for lossless encoding. Granted there are bad FLACs made from lossy encodes, but this idea of "good enough" is why MP3s are still sold for albums. It's up to you, the individual, whether or not to buy something less for the same price for the convenience of hard drive space. (And you wouldn't have to worry about hard drive space if you were able to get the CD, and rip to OGG.) But let's not kid ourselves that "good enough" is fully owning what you bought.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021