Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Disk space getting used up during playback w/1.6.2 and WASAPI exclusive (Read 1241 times) previous topic - next topic

Disk space getting used up during playback w/1.6.2 and WASAPI exclusive

I'm using 1.6.2 portable with foo_out_wasapi (3.3 and 3.4), feeding a Schiit Gungnir with Unision USB (USB Audio 2.0).

While playing music, my boot drive is constantly getting filled up at a rate of about 4MB/s. On closer inspection, the culprit is the hidden C:\$Extend\$Deleted directory, which is used to house deleted files that have been unlinked but not freed by an active process.

I'm not exactly sure how long this has been going on, as I normally have over 150GB free on my boot drive. I only noticed it a couple days ago when Windows notified me that my drive was completely full (!). But given the rate at which the disk fills up, it can't have started earlier than a couple weeks back.

Fortunately, a system reboot recovers the disk space. However, I'd prefer to continue using the exclusive WASAPI if possible. I'm curious if anyone can reproduce this issue or has further insight on how to track down the cause (if not a bug).

Re: Disk space getting used up during playback w/1.6.2 and WASAPI exclusive

Reply #1
I am also using Foobar 1.6.2 Portable and foo_out_wasapi 3.4, headed to a Realtek HD audio chip, and I do not have this problem, which suggests the issue does not lie with Foobar or the plugin itself.  Does the folder get created even when when you don't run Foobar?  What other plugins are you using?  If you play music with another player, is the folder created then also?  Finally, your post is unclear as to if this happens running Foobar with a different output mode selected.

Reply #2
I am also using Foobar 1.6.2 Portable and foo_out_wasapi 3.4, headed to a Realtek HD audio chip, and I do not have this problem, which suggests the issue does not lie with Foobar or the plugin itself.  Does the folder get created even when when you don't run Foobar?  What other plugins are you using?  If you play music with another player, is the folder created then also?  Finally, your post is unclear as to if this happens running Foobar with a different output mode selected.
Thanks for checking.

It only happens when I'm using the WASAPI exclusive plugin. The default output doesn't exhibit the issue. The only other plugin I use is the Columns UI, nothing else concerning audio ouput - no DSP, nothing.

The directory in question is always present (it's a normal part of the Windows 10 filesystem) but it's only with this specific combination that I see it filling up rapidly. In order to really see what was happening, I had to install a filesystem space usage viewer. The normal File Explorer won't show this directory, even with hidden and system files shown. Resource Monitor was also the easiest way to keep track of the disk space in real time.

I'll do some more troubleshooting and update here if I find anything. I just wanted to do a quick check and see if this was something that anyone else was running into before I went down the rabbit hole.

Reply #3
Welp, did another full reboot of PC and the DAC, and the issue is gone. I already did a couple full restarts while running check disk on the boot drive...so idk.

Hopefully this helps someone if they suddenly notice their disk is full one of these days.

Reply #4
Nevermind, after listening to music for awhile, it started doing the same thing again.

Reply #5
Are you perhaps listening to files from archives? Also you may want to mention what tools you are using to examine this so others don't waste time with something incapable of even detecting the problem.

Reply #6
Right...looks like this is likely a Windows audio stack bug (surprise). This makes the most sense anyway, since I only noticed the issue recently. It was probably introduced with a recent-ish Windows update.

I accidentally discovered that the issue only happens while I have Firefox open. Doesn't matter if sounds are playing in the browser or not. Just having it open while another application is using WASAPI exclusive is enough to trigger the issue.

The workaround is to mute Firefox in the Windows volume mixer while I'm listening to music. Just to cover all the bases, I tested with MusicBee and a different DAC. Both were affected identically, confirming the player and DAC have no bearing on the issue.

This is a bug report that appears to be related: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1495251

Also you may want to mention what tools you are using to examine this so others don't waste time with something incapable of even detecting the problem.
As mentioned in a previous comment in this thread, I'm using Resource Monitor to view disk usage in real time.

I found which files were consuming disk space via WizTree, but any disk usage analyzer should yield the same information.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021