Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Create "empty" (ogg / matroska / ?) container, how? ( / .wav, even ?) (Read 1191 times) previous topic - next topic

Create "empty" (ogg / matroska / ?) container, how? ( / .wav, even ?)

In need for a "placeholder" for missing tracks without audio, to keep metadata. Need to be able to create empty container file for metadata only. If that is technically invalid in the format in question, a good second would be if fb2k can read and tag it.

Any tool to quickly generate one and copy metadata? Seems that ffmpeg isn't happy about filling a file with nothing but metadata, but I was able to make zero-length speex-in-.ogg (and as .spx) and have fb2k read it.

If it matters, one can assume there is embedded art present (some formats may take that as a "video codec" in case they don't accept empty containers).
High Voltage socket-nose-avatar

Re: Create "empty" (ogg / matroska / ?) container, how? ( / .wav, even ?)

Reply #2
This creates 0-samples flac with tags from the input:
Code: [Select]
sox input.flac output.flac trim
Works for ogg vorbis too.

Reply #3
Nice. I have a 2 second empty wav file, which I use just for that purpose, to be a placeholder.
I don't have much need for it, but it sits in the root of my library just in case.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #4
This creates 0-samples flac with tags from the input:
Code: [Select]
sox input.flac output.flac trim
Works for ogg vorbis too.

Interesting. foobar2000 claims nonsense granule (maybe I should have updated my sox) ... I managed to get ffmpeg create zero-length .ogg files too, which fb2k is happy about.
sox generates aiff that fb2k is happy about, but I have not succeeded at doing it with .wav.

Attached a few empty files - and one with a single sample, if that is interesting  :))
High Voltage socket-nose-avatar

Reply #5
Any .mka file can effectively be truncated into nanosecond length if you create one chapter mark inside with that length.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021