Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Don't (re)generate autoplaylists on startup (Read 4370 times) previous topic - next topic

Don't (re)generate autoplaylists on startup

I have many autoplaylist like for missing tags, presence of some tags, then date/time and playback statistics based autoplaylist.
Those generated with "time expressions" take some seconds ~ 0.3 sec (single autoplaylist without sorting)

While nothing can be done about media library viewers (filters, album lists) startup sequence, I think that providing option for disabling generation of autoplaylist, but just reading it context as regular playlist can speed startup time where many autoplaylist are case

I'm even reluctant of creating them just because of prolonged startup time.
And I can't think of reason why this suggestion should work well? Autoplaylists are based on media library changes, so why generating them over and over again on every startup in media library hasn't changed?

Reply #1
Apparently both we are hoping for the possibility to update a normal (non-Auto-) Playlist manually by a search pattern's rerun that playlist is build from, for example via a menu item like [Library:] -> "Refresh ML search result for the active playlist".

I'm even reluctant of creating them just because of prolonged startup time.

That is my situation too and that is for example the reason why I favour Playlist Bind over an Autoplaylist for synchronizing playlists with contents of folders (Playlist Bind allows a manual synchronization).

To be honest: I also would like to have back the Media Library's manual update function for the same reason (prolonged startup time), at least as an option. Probably I will be criticized vehemently or worse for statements like that but sometimes I wonder why the whole world must be more and more designed ("simplified" in a negative sense) to suit the taste of "newbies", why do they get a higher priority than more experienced users or users who are willing to familiarize themselves with some extended functions? Shift+click for hidden menu options (v1.0), lost context menu rearrangements, updating the ML either automatically or don't using it at all: for me some steps with foobar becomes more laboriously than they had been before. (I hope my English is good enough to express what I mean).
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #2
I was thinking only at reducing start-up time. If media library isn't changed between exit/start-up (most likely - only case being if user changes manually (or with other software) files in library) than just load as regular playlist which is saved on exit. If media library is changed, which foobar checks anyway at start-up than process them.

Maybe manually updating autoplaylists (optionally) is more radical but yeah I would like that as option, and I think it was requested but not approved. I see it benefit in foobar behavior when modifying library (adding/changing etc) which of course works great as it is, but maybe as option.

I don't see parallel between playlist bind and autoplaylist. Autoplaylists works with library queries while playlist bind with folders (I use it to put some order in folders which I don't want in library but manage them as special case). And if I think better I miss autoupdating of playlist bind watches sometimes  There was some component like that, foo_autoupdate or similar but it wasn't working very well

[edit]
Code: [Select]
And I can't think of reason why this suggestion "should work well"?

should be: shouldn't work well

Apparently both we are hoping for the possibility to update a normal (non-Auto-) Playlist manually by a search pattern's rerun that playlist is build from, for example via a menu item like [Library:] -> "Refresh ML search result for the active playlist".

at least drop down menu for search history

Reply #3
I don't really care about the feature request, but note that autoplaylists are not solely affected by media library changes: The time expression queries which you yourself mentioned may be different without any actual changes to the library.

Reply #4
Hm, you are right. And those are main time consumers. What was I thinking...
Well, also two things that were discussed in past, came as reminder:
- option for manually refreshing (hardly likely)
- drop-down list for search history (why not)

Reply #5
2E7AH,

to synchronize folder contents with Playlists I either use Autoplaylists (search pattern for example: %path% HAS "c:\path x\subfolder y") or Playlist Bind. Autoplaylists in this scenario extend foobar's startup time, Playlist Bind does not (with automatic update toggled off). That are the parallels I saw.

I do not need an automatic update of certain contents (Playlists, ML) each time I start foobar2000, if that contents change less often than I open foobar. That's why I really would appreciate an option for a manual update. This concerns the Media Library, this concerns  Playlists build from ML search queries: either I create an Autoplaylist from my search query which leads to that prolonged startup time your first post here is about or I create a normal playlist from my search query which can nor manually neither automatically be updated and because of the missing history for search queries it is laboriously to repeat the desired search (that are the parallels with your second post).

If I am wrong because I am missing somehow the point here please ignore me (or delete my post).

Reply #6
I can't synchronize folder outside media library: If I enter %path% HAS "c:\some folder" which isn't in library then it doesn't work for me. Does it work for you?

Reply #7
Where did I say that a Media Library search outside its folders would be possible? You know very well that this does not work, so I can not follow your argumentation in this case.

Robertina.

Reply #8
I said how I use the component:

...while playlist bind with folders (I use it to put some order in folders which I don't want in library but manage them as special case). And if I think better I miss autoupdating of playlist bind watches sometimes

I can't see other usage for playlist bind, but for folders outside library.
At least that's the way how I manage my music files

Reply #9
And if I think better I miss autoupdating of playlist bind watches sometimes¬†  There was some component like that, foo_autoupdate or similar but it wasn't working very well

My closing remark in this thread:

Playlist Bind is able to automatically update playlists on startup since version 4.0 (see the component's configuration page).

Robertina.

Reply #10
I don't meant that kind of autoupdate, and I'm aware of it existence as I use 4.1 from it's first release as 4.0 when I bumped at a bug and all my playlists got deleted - that was corrected as 4.1 release

Also I don't see reason for you "reserved" replies, although above discussion may sound as a broken phone

Reply #11
I don't meant that kind of autoupdate, and I'm aware of it existence as I use 4.1 from it's first release as 4.0 when I bumped at a bug and all my playlists got deleted - that was corrected as 4.1 release

I am not a clairvoyant, I gave you an advisable reply to your remark I cited. How should I better answer when you specify what you mean not before you got my reply already?

Also I don't see reason for you "reserved" replies, although above discussion may sound as a broken phone

I do not know how a broken phone sounds like. May be my English is not good enough to understand all correctly here.

Leaving the board therefore (I know, no one cares about that).

Robertina.

Reply #12
Those generated with "time expressions" take some seconds ~ 0.3 sec (single autoplaylist without sorting)

How often a day do you restart foobar that something in the order of some seconds becomes important?
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #13
Leaving the board therefore (I know, no one cares about that).

I do, really, and hope you don't leave this board with your always polite and "in place" replies. Sorry if I made you feel bad, it's just the way I'm expressing

Reply #14
How often a day do you restart foobar that something in the order of some seconds becomes important?
Startup time : 0:12.662075

And it doesn't bother me a bit. I've got a lot of music. Firefox loads slower on slow days.

Reply #15
While nothing can be done about media library viewers (filters, album lists) startup sequence, I think that providing option for disabling generation of autoplaylist, but just reading it context as regular playlist can speed startup time where many autoplaylist are case

Over one year ago i requested the library search uielement to be a central place to store search queries. When you read the post carefully you may recognize though my crappy english that i mentioned many implications of that feature - a) reducing the time to refresh autoplaylists on media library change or startup of foobar is just one thing: at the same time you also would have b) storage and management of queries, c) the queries are displayed in the same style of playlist view although it is a library viewer, d) as it is a library viewer you would have two lists (search list and playlist view) side to side and can view them at same time, e) the importance of library viewer selection playlist could be decreased towards null, f) the importance of playlists for management of library would be decreased also.

Reply #16
I fully agree with you q-stankovic, especially where you say
f) the importance of playlists for management of library would be decreased also.

I would really like something like the library search as a panel for columns UI, I don't think there is one that supports queries like the DUI one. What about if there was a list of recent queries on display when the text box is blank (underneath the text box), and clicking one performs that search, and there could be an x in the text box to clear it and get back to the list of queries.

Reply #17
It seems to me that that foobar200s userbase is dived in two parts: one wich uses the playlists like the tabs in an internet browser and the other wich use the creation of autoplaylists for management of library. Based on the needs of the latter group many requests arised so far: from little ones till very monstrous features like two playlist views at same time or treeview in playlist manager (that even would make every component incompatible as foosion mentioned). A central storage of queries combined with the style of playlist view brings the library search uielement to the fore. I think the feature i requested could satisfy both groups completely.

What i don't like about the suggestion of dropdown menu for history is that we would have to bother around with search syntax. I prefer to write and see a query just one time and to assign it with a pretty and meaningful name.

Re: Don't (re)generate autoplaylists on startup

Reply #18
Hi guys, sorry for undigging such an old topic, but I figured it would be better than creating a new one.
I have the same problem as @2E7AH . Each of my foobar configs takes about 30 seconds to start up.
The console shows that's due to the fact that I have many large Autoplaylists, for management purposes.

To answer @Kohlrabi , I start my configs many times a day (I have many portable installs, I use foobar for a lot of purposes), so ultimately it's annoying and time wasting.

In this topic, the time expression queries issue was raised. However, I don't have any time expressions in my Autoplaylists.
We could think of option where foobar wouldn't regenerate Autoplaylists at startup, UNLESS they contain time expressions for instance. Or even the initial request where foobar wouldn't regenerate them at all at startup. That would still be fine in my case.

Have things evolved since 2009 or no ? Is there a hidden option somewhere ?

FYI I'm currently using Playlist Organizer for playlists management (I have folders, subfolders and such). I don't know if there's anything more suitable to my case.

Thanks in advance !

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021