Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Linux? (Read 618 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux?

Hi.

Just noticed, that foobar also runs on MacOS; which is something I really don’t care about. ;-)

But I do care about Linux and use Foobar on Wine, which runs somehow, but not that good - it looks and feels weird.

Now I hope for any kind of indication that foobar might get ported to Linux too, to increase my ill-founded hope even further.

Thank you for your great work!
Al

Re: Linux?

Reply #1
I feel like this question must get asked all of the time.
In fact I came to the forum just now because I had the same question and I wanted to research it.
However, since you asked, I'd just like to say that I'd also love if it was on Linux and I'd even donate money towards it happening.

Reply #3
Foobar on wine has come a long way. Almost everything works now and Peter seems to be interested in improving it further. As for looks, it's what you make of it. I think after tinkering it looks better than any native player.

Reply #4
Thanks for the link Cynic.

That looks great Mikko. Can you share what tinkering you have done?

Reply #5
I can try. Firstly using GTK theming from wine-staging. It has some issues though, foobar crashes at preferences>context menu and preferences>advanced. Also column header text is not visible. A bug free option that can look almost as good is to set colors in winecfg to match your DE.

Since there is no support for fallback fonts it's a good idea to pick font with wide unicode coverage. I use Microsoft Yahei for most elements. Default or columns ui specific fonts can be set in foobar preferences. Menu, message box and tooltip fonts in winecfg.

Haven't figured out how to change the Tahoma font used in tabs, preferences and some other places. Maybe in wine registry?

Columns ui works great since foobar 1.6, only issue I noticed is broken tooltips.

The right side album art view is esplaylist. Left side art display/menu and status bar are written in jscript using wsh panel mod. Haven't bothered with the newer forks (jscript panel & spider monkey panel) since my scripts work fine.

foo_quicksearch on wine is quite prone to crashing. I managed to make it stable by disabling all checkboxes in preferences except for 'reset search string when succesfull'. Also have autosearch toggled on if that matters.

Hope that helps.

Reply #6
foo_quicksearch on wine is quite prone to crashing. I managed to make it stable by disabling all checkboxes in preferences except for 'reset search string when succesfull'.
Thanks. Unchecking "Autocomplete from history" fixed a crash after typing anything in quicksearch toolbar.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020