Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Es-playlist help, sorting files in CUI (Read 1843 times) previous topic - next topic

Es-playlist help, sorting files in CUI

Having massive problems with the display of playlists, or better the grouping and force-sorting.

In the above pic you see the first group is album artist, then comes a tag I called %series% and bellow that is the grouping via %album%.

Now some audiobooks come with a subtitle, so I would like to display that as another grouping heading on a seperate line above the %album% tag.

Here is my code:
Code: [Select]
Grouping:

$if3(%content%, %content%,$if3($strcmp($meta(style),Audiobook),%album artist%, %subtitle% %album%))

Title

$pad($char,5)$if(%content%,%artist%,%album artist%)

Force-sorted by:

$if($strcmp($meta(style),Audiobook),%artist% $meta(subtitle) %series% %series_part% %album% %discnumber% %date%,%series% %series_part% %album% %discnumber% %date%)

Note that all my audiobooks with possible subtitles are tagged as style Audiobook and contect is only refering to an alternative album title.

Can anyone point me out what I am missing here? I am really wrecking my brain and tried so many possibilities but did not succeed yet.

Re: Es-playlist help, sorting files in CUI

Reply #1
Hi there,

EsPlaylist is a tricky one, from my experience it just takes a lot of trial and error to get things the way you want. It may be difficult for anyone to help here because quite likely no-one has exactly the same tagging scheme to be able to test anything. (You'd have to be a mastermind to figure this stuff out in your head :D )

Now some audiobooks come with a subtitle, so I would like to display that as another grouping heading on a seperate line above the %album% tag.

So you want four levels? Keep in mind the annoying aspect of EsPlaylist is it always displays the group horizontal line (in "Flat View"), even if there is no tag to show - just a useless horizontal line. So you may prefer to put %subtitle% on the same level as %series%, or some other way, to avoid a horizontal line with no tag available.

(Unless there is a way around it that I've missed...)

Here is my code:
Code: [Select]
Grouping:

$if3(%content%, %content%,$if3($strcmp($meta(style),Audiobook),%album artist%, %subtitle% %album%))

$if3 returns the first field present and ignores the rest. (It does not work the same as $if(cond,then,else)). In other words %subtitle% (etc) is not getting grouped here assuming the other fields before it are present. I'm not sure that was what you intended...

I would start with the basics - I think for each level, try using a 'Grouping' exactly the same as the 'Title' strings. So perhaps simply try -

Level 1:
%album artist%

Level 2:
%series%[ - %subtitle%]

Level 3:
%album% '('%date%')'

Start with that and see what it looks like, then you can add more tests for other fields if needed.

Are you using the same EsPlaylist panel to browse music as well or is this one dedicated to Audiobooks? (i.e. in its own tab) - It might be better to use a dedicated tab, otherwise it gets complicated to have separate displays in one panel.

Cheers

Reply #2
Thank you very much for your reply!
I totally agree with your suggestion; those three levels would be awesome. But now, how does the code look like? Where do I even begin to insert %subtitle% or $meta(subtitle) ?

I did try to implement it if you look at my code box, only this one did not work out at all :/

Reply #3
I thought you had already setup the groupings as shown in your screenshot. The code is exactly what I put for each level.

In Preferences > Tools > EsPlaylist -

Make a new preset if you want and (re)name it Audiobooks.

Then make 3 new levels, enter the codes for 'Grouping' and 'Title' boxes (same for both) -

X

(The third level for %album% should also have 'Artwork: Cover Front' enabled)

In your layout in EsPlaylist, right-click and select Grouping > Audiobooks. Also right-click and make sure you have Options > View Style > Flat View selected to show all groupings at once.

(This was just an example, you can add other tags later if it looks alright)

Reply #4
Thanks so much again, now I got it!!! The levels come from the entry boxes in your screenshot - that was the missing link for me ;)