Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: New FLAC compression improvement (Read 745 times) previous topic - next topic

New FLAC compression improvement

Hi all,

Last summer, I've been busy thinking of ways to improve on FLACs compression within the specification and without resorting to variable blocksizes, which are in the spec but might not be properly implemented on many decoders. I discussed this old post with its writer: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=106545.50

He wrote a small python script to explore the idea of a integer least-squares solver. It's included as ils.py. I explored this idea, read a lot of literature and came up with a different solution.

The current FLAC LPC stage is a classic, textbook example so to speak. This method was designed for speech encoding. The ILS method SebastianG proposed tries to find a more optimal approach. While the current approach comes close to generating least-squares solutions, this could perhaps be improved by a more direct approach.

However, FLACs entropy encoder doesn't encode 'squared' values, it's cost is more linear. That is why I developed a iteratively reweighted least squares solver, which, by weighing, doesn't come to a least squares solution but a so-called least absolute deviation solution. A proof-of-concept is also attached as irils-calculate-improvement.py. It gives mostly equal results to the current approach on most material, but improves on certain, mostly synthetic material like electronic music.

I even got as far as implementing it in FLAC, which can be found here: https://github.com/ktmf01/flac/tree/irls However, this implementation doesn't perform as well as the python proof-of-concept, and as my free time ran out last summer, I haven't been able to improve on it.

Maybe some people here with love for both FLAC and math might be interested in looking into this. I'll look at this again when  I have some time to spare and a mind ready for some challenge  :D

I'd love to hear questions, comments, etc.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Re: New FLAC compression improvement

Reply #1
Well, did you test it in real world scenarios and what were the results? Don't just drop this here and go away :)
Error 404; signature server not available.

Re: New FLAC compression improvement

Reply #2
That is a very good question. I probably didn't explain myself well enough in that regard.

The C code on github is not working properly I think. It isn't an improvement over the existing FLAC codebase. So, I haven't reached any real-world compression gains yet.

However, the Python proof-of-concept is promising, albeit with a caveat. To simplify the proof-op-concept, it only performs simple rice bits calculation, without partitioning, and it does not do stereo decorrelation. So, I can only compare single-channel FLAC files with rice partitioning turned off. This is why the gains in the proof-of-concept might be more than what would be achievable with rice partitioning and stereo decorrelation.

For most material, my FLAC files got about 0.2% smaller (which would be 0.1% of the original WAV size). In one case, with electronic music (Infected Mushroom - Trance Party) I got an improvement of 1.2% (which would be 0.6% of the original file size).

So, I think this is promising, but I haven't been able to achieve this in C yet.

Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020