Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Isolating Properties based on field - Help! (Read 1198 times) previous topic - next topic

Isolating Properties based on field - Help!

I managed to have two versions of Foobar2000 installed.  The first version has the theme DarkOne v4.0 installed onto it and last night, I made an attempt (and succeeded) to install a second version of foobar2000, but this time as a portable version.

With my DarkOne v4.0 install, I'm able to either select an Artist, Album or song and I'll get different Property values for each (like overall Artists, Album or individual track Properties).  The purpose of having a second install of foobar2000 was to just have a straight list of all of my tracks, arranged alphabetically by Artist>Album>Track No.  I kind of figured out how to do this, but the problem is that when I select any track, it doesn't matter if it's the track, album or artist I select, I still get the Properties for only specifically that track.

What can I do to specifically isolate Properties based on which field I select?

Re: Isolating Properties based on field - Help!

Reply #1
Hi there,

It depends where you are right-clicking? If you are using Album List (the default library viewer), when you right-click an artist / album in the tree and open Properties, you get all the associated tracks selected for that artist / album, or any other field. (It works the same for other library viewers)

If you are right-clicking in Playlist View, you'd need to select all album tracks first to get album Properties, or just enable playlist grouping and right-click the group header to select the entire album, or artist if you group by that. (Other playlist viewers can have more levels of grouping)

Cheers

Reply #2
Hi there,

It depends where you are right-clicking? If you are using Album List (the default library viewer), when you right-click an artist / album in the tree and open Properties, you get all the associated tracks selected for that artist / album, or any other field. (It works the same for other library viewers)

If you are right-clicking in Playlist View, you'd need to select all album tracks first to get album Properties, or just enable playlist grouping and right-click the group header to select the entire album, or artist if you group by that. (Other playlist viewers can have more levels of grouping)

Cheers
I was fiddling with the theme of my regular install and I was thinking it that might be an easier approach to take.  I'm using DarkOne v4.0.

Sorry, it's been awhile since I've messed with this.  I noticed that in the album list on my particular skin, there's a field called 'date'.  I've noticed for albums which I set a specific date (as in release date), it'll show that date.  For albums that I have not, it'll show the date I ripped the songs to my library.  Is it possible to force it to only show the date entered and just be blank otherwise?

For anything else, I might just try and fiddle with the coding for now to have it display what I want.

Reply #3
OK so I currently have two versions of foobar2000 installed onto my computer.  One regular install and another is portable.  My regular install, I was thinking of attempting to work with because I can get the overall display to look decently, if I could just figure out how to add some fields.  The problem with my regular install (DarkOne 4.0), is that it either shows the date I entered into the Date field in the properties window, or it'll show the date I ripped the CD if the field is blank.  I would prefer it show blank so I know which albums to update with the correct date.

My second install of foobar2000 is a portable version.  I found some random theme and installed it.  For this one, when I select an album, albums with blank dates come up with question marks.  They aren't automatically set to the date ripped, and actually, that's what I'm looking for, with respect to showing the correct date.  Unfortunately with this other theme I have, I can't seem to establish much of a fullscreen tree view, it's only half of the screen.

How can I display the correct date field?

Reply #4
Sorry for so many replies but I decided to take a different approach.  I started using PortableGrayRBG (Playlist View, specifically) as my theme and I'm probably only going to use this theme to check my tagging information, since at least one of its tabs looks like it can be modified to suit my needs.

Question (both in Playlist view of the theme):
  • A column called "Year", I was able to rename it as Date, which was easy.  However, the detail is only showing the year.  How can I get it to display 'yyyy-mm-dd'  ?
  • I tried adding a custom field in Playlist view but it would not survive a restart.  Basically, I want to end up having 5 Yes or no columns that are all very similar, "Does this file exist?"  Then "Green" Yes or Red "No".

Reply #5
Hi there,

I'm not super familiar with the DarkOne theme, but if it uses a script-based library / playlist view, the problem is you might need to know jscript to edit it.

As far as title formatting goes, just using %date% is what you want - shows the date field or ? if the field is not present.

The script might be using something like $if2(%date%,%added%) - or similar $if3(%date%,%added%) - which shows the date field if present, or added field if not.

So you could look in the config for something like that and just change it to %date% perhaps?

• A column called "Year", I was able to rename it as Date, which was easy.  However, the detail is only showing the year.  How can I get it to display 'yyyy-mm-dd'  ?

Change the column pattern to $date(%date%)

See Reference wiki.

• I tried adding a custom field in Playlist view but it would not survive a restart.  Basically, I want to end up having 5 Yes or no columns that are all very similar, "Does this file exist?"  Then "Green" Yes or Red "No".

I'm not aware of a way to test if a file exists. Might not be possible. (I think you can only test for fields of the selected track)

Cheers

Reply #6
Change the column pattern to $date(%date%)

Hi, I wanted to let you know that I was able to find the date format setting.  For DarkOnev4, as well as another theme called PortableGreyRGB.

For DarkOneV4:
CTRL+P>Display>Columns UI>Playlist view

In the Columns tab, Scripts sub-tab:

REPLACE $if2(%date%,$date(%last_modified%))
WITH $date(%date%)

I have a Portable installation as well...

For PortableGreyRGB
Go to your Playlist View (in the normal view, not settings), on the Year column, Right-click and select Edit Column.  I replaced the Name with "Release Date" and then replace the contents of the Format box with $date(%date%)

So, that's part of my problem solved.

Also, with respect to PortableGreyRGB, in Album View, it was only showing the year.  I managed to find the date setting and it was formatted by just using a number 4..  I'm guessing this meant to only display the first four characters of the date string, so I just changed the value to 10.  Problem solved there.

Still want to look into attempting to have Foobar2000 create columns on the fly, as I mentioned.  For this, I'm not looking to store the values, they'll just be visible at run time then the values will go away when the app is closed.

Reply #7
Too bad I can't seem to edit my previous response, it must be on a timer or something.

Update, I'm currently going off of my Portable Grey RGB skin, which has a set of tabs at the top:

Album View, Playlist View, Artist Biography and EQ.

I figured out how to create a new tab and name it appropriately.  This one, I'm calling "Artist View".  The point of this, is to show a detailed list of all of my albums, and not each individual track.

I'm not exactly sure if I'm going about this correctly or not, but I went ahead and dropped in a Playlist View UI Element.   It was the only element I could think of that would list items in a column like I wanted them to be listed.  Basically, I want this to list only albums, not tracks.  Secondly, I want it to list "Y" or "N" if a file exists.  In playing around with it, no matter what I tried, even if I was just using straight numbers to yield obvious results, the value would always set itself to false.

For example, I tested if a file exists, no matter what syntax I use, it's always false.  If I compare two numbers, say 3>2, then it'll tell me that this is false, as well, which it obviously isn't.  Therefore I'm starting to feel like the if function will not work for columns, unfortunately.

Reply #8
How can I make a simple list as such:
Artist>Album>Duration/Length of Album?

I figured out how to display Artist and Album, using Faucets, but the moment I add a date/duration column, it'll automatically add all of the tracks into the list, and I want to suppress the tracks from the list.

I want this to display as detail, not in a group.

Reply #9
So continuing from the Reddit thread, this was what I was suggesting with Facets -

So you'd want to add about 5 panes in Facets -

- (1st pane) Artist
- (2nd pane) Album | Date | Items | Duration
- (3rd pane) Front Cover
- (4th pane) Back Cover
- (5th pane) Disc

Which would look like this -

X

With the artist selected in the first pane (The White Stripes), it filters the album list to show their albums and covers. As you can see I have Front and Back covers, but no Disc covers here. The red X image is the "no art found" stub image that you can set in Preferences > Display > under Album Art tabs > Stub Image. Set an image in each of the four tabs by clicking '...' on the right of the box, and when foobar cannot find the front.jpg, disc.jpg (etc) listed above, it shows this image instead.

At least this would let you see any missing art at a glance, though you'd really need to click the artist column first to filter the library so there is not just a long list of covers. :D

Cheers

Reply #10
So continuing from the Reddit thread, this was what I was suggesting with Facets -

So you'd want to add about 5 panes in Facets -

- (1st pane) Artist
- (2nd pane) Album | Date | Items | Duration
- (3rd pane) Front Cover
- (4th pane) Back Cover
- (5th pane) Disc

Which would look like this -

[attach type=image]18202[/attach]

With the artist selected in the first pane (The White Stripes), it filters the album list to show their albums and covers. As you can see I have Front and Back covers, but no Disc covers here. The red X image is the "no art found" stub image that you can set in Preferences > Display > under Album Art tabs > Stub Image. Set an image in each of the four tabs by clicking '...' on the right of the box, and when foobar cannot find the front.jpg, disc.jpg (etc) listed above, it shows this image instead.

At least this would let you see any missing art at a glance, though you'd really need to click the artist column first to filter the library so there is not just a long list of covers. :D

Cheers

Is it possible to decrease the image sizes so at least they'd be on the same row as the pane where the album detail is?  Also, do the panes scroll in dependently of one another?

Reply #11
Sorry, forgive me.  I didn't see the edit button.

I went ahead and followed most of your instructions, I just made 4 panes instead of 5, combining the Artist along with everything in the second pane.  Finally figured out that you need stub image path for each and if you had already mentioned, that, I obviously missed it.

My curiosity got the best of me, as I tried doing this all in one Pane, and that obviously didn't work.  What I'm curious as to now, is it's possible to set the row height of all columns in every pane to the same thing, thus forcing the image to decrease and stay aligned with everything in my first pane.  Any idea on that?

Also, is there a way to set it so when I display the tab, that all of the records (for the Front/Back/CD fields) are displayed without me having to click on each album (or a few albums) to display them?

Reply #12
You can decrease thumbnail size by mouse hover over the image, hold CTRL key and mouse wheel down.

However you'd be lucky to get it exactly the same height as the text. You could also try different font / sizes, that is the only way to change text height. (Preferences > Display > Default UI > Colors and Fonts > 'Lists' check box).

And besides they do scroll independently. That was why I suggested having Artist in its own pane, so you can just show that artist more concisely and not have hundreds of covers that do not line up.

(I know is not ideal to what you wanted, but hopefully better than nothing...)

Also, is there a way to set it so when I display the tab, that all of the records (for the Front/Back/CD fields) are displayed without me having to click on each album (or a few albums) to display them?

If you select "All" at the top of the Album column it shows everything. (Unless you turned it off - this is the 'Summary Item' - right-click header > Display > Summary Item)

Reply #13
You can decrease thumbnail size by mouse hover over the image, hold CTRL key and mouse wheel down.
I got lucky, I increased the font size to 15 (I know...huge...) and noticed that was too big, but 14 was too small and wouldn't line up, then increased the album sizes accordingly.

And, yeah...I threw in the towel and added an Artist field as you suggested. I might end up tearing this theme apart for my own liking, in the end.  I haven't decided yet.  As it is now with font sizes increased just for the freakin' artwork images to align with everything else...well, all my tabs don't look quite as good anymore.  It'll be a work in progress.

If you select "All" at the top of the Album column it shows everything. (Unless you turned it off - this is the 'Summary Item' - right-click header > Display > Summary Item)
Yeah I tried putting a summary on everything, since putting a summary in the second pane only messed up the horizontal alignment I had going in between the second and panes 3, 4 and 5.

I think for now, I'm going to move onto my next issue, which is tagging.  I'll create a separate topic about this.  If you can help me on it as well, I'd appreciate it.  Thank you for everything so far.

Reply #14
Ugh, I'm pissed, I had my Album Tagging View the way I wanted it and I inadvertantly pasted over the whole thing!!  Couldn't Undo.

Well, I got most of it back.  Having some issues.  I tried backtracking and maybe I'm just all out of sorts due to frustration.
  • My images are not aligning.  I got the Back and the Disc columns lined up but not the Front column.  Is there a more efficient way other than CTRL+SCROLL?
  • Only my Front Images seem to be showing up in each column (Back and Disc columns both show as the Front image).  For each column, should I be using front.jpg, back,jpg and cd.jpg, respectively as I just typed it or is there a specific way I need to format them or is there a variable I need to use instead?
  • Double-clicking on an Artist will show my Album list correctly, but it will not update my Front/Back/Disc panes.
  • Selecting Multiple Albums will display the stub image for Front, Back & CD columns, regardless if the corresponding image exists, but only for one row.
If you could help me again, I'd appreciate it...again.  Thank you.

Reply #15
Oh no, this has happened to me before, too. The lesson was I started making sure to always backup my theme before messing with it, and secondly to use the Scratchbox to mess with it. :D

(For DUI, save the theme file in Preferences > Display > Default UI > Export Theme button. Then you can also Import the theme file in View menu > Layout > Create Scratchbox > Edit > Import. In CUI there is no Scratchbox, but you can Duplicate the theme in Preferences > Display > Columns UI > Layout)

Anyway...

• My images are not aligning.  I got the Back and the Disc columns lined up but not the Front column.  Is there a more efficient way other than CTRL+SCROLL?

No other way. Facets is 10 year old component and probably glitchy. Could try reducing the thumb size to minimum and increase it again, or just remove the column / pane and add it again.

• Only my Front Images seem to be showing up in each column (Back and Disc columns both show as the Front image).  For each column, should I be using front.jpg, back,jpg and cd.jpg, respectively as I just typed it or is there a specific way I need to format them or is there a variable I need to use instead?

Did you right-click each header and select Display > Back / Disc?

The column pattern should be set to %album% for all of them. (If sorting by album)

• Double-clicking on an Artist will show my Album list correctly, but it will not update my Front/Back/Disc panes.

No idea ... but make sure they are set correctly first (previous question)

• Selecting Multiple Albums will display the stub image for Front, Back & CD columns, regardless if the corresponding image exists, but only for one row.

Facets limitation. Just the way it works. It can only show one image per cover (of course) and it has to be the same file. Therefore selecting multiple tracks with more than one image file, it defaults to the stub image (or showing nothing).

It also sometimes caches the images and might not change them. Clicking the Library / Filter buttons on the toolbar refreshes them.

Cheers

Reply #16
OK I got the Front/Back/Disc columns to work again.  I was selecting Front/Back/CD columns instead of artist, then I also did not set the display options to view each thing.  I also added another column for artist, it works like a charm.  I hadn't actually come back to this post until just now, as I'd been busy tagging.  So much to do, ugh.

Now, I've modified my layout a bit.  What I got, is this:

6 Panes: Artist, Album info, plus the four showing the images.  Below it, I've added another Facet to show the tracks on each selected item (whether it be just artist or even album.  THIS new Facet is not changing based on either my artist or album selection(s).  Any idea what's going on and if I can fix this?

Reply #17
Well, have you added a second Facets instance below it or is the layout vertical? It has to be part of the same Facets element to update the filters.

Typically better to use a Playlist Viewer to show the tracks. There is not much use in having a Facets track column (in Library mode), because it would only play the one track.

Actually you could have a second Facets instance set to Playlist mode (the toolbar source button) to show tracks in the current playlist. If the first Facets is sending tracks to the Library Selection playlist, the second Facets would then show the tracks.

(Or just use a Playlist Viewer)

Reply #18
Well, have you added a second Facets instance below it or is the layout vertical? It has to be part of the same Facets element to update the filters.

Typically better to use a Playlist Viewer to show the tracks. There is not much use in having a Facets track column (in Library mode), because it would only play the one track.

Actually you could have a second Facets instance set to Playlist mode (the toolbar source button) to show tracks in the current playlist. If the first Facets is sending tracks to the Library Selection playlist, the second Facets would then show the tracks.

(Or just use a Playlist Viewer)
This is what I did:
1 - Created horizontal Splitter below the Artist and Album Facets (I can't remember if it's considered Top/Bottom or Left/Right)
2 - Copied the Album Facet Pane and Pasted it into the new area below
3 - I then added the columns I needed to this new Facet.

I chose a Facet specifically, because whenever I click on something on my Playlist, it plays, even if I click by accident.  I hate that and was looking to get around that, without affecting the actual Playlist view tab that I have.  Hopefully that makes sense.

How would you set a Facet to Playlist mode?  I can't find that option.  It's it a setting for all Facets or individual Facets?

Reply #19
Yes, that would be a second Facets - as I said they do not effect each other.

Playlists should be double-click to play for exactly that reason. Which playlist viewer are you using?

Facets has a toolbar that shows "Library" or "Playlist" - check the documentation screenshots -

To control the toolbar, enable the layout editing mode, and right-click on it.

• "Bottom-dock toolbar" moves the toolbar below the panes. Repeating this action will move it back to the top.
  • Unchecking "Show the toolbar" disables the toolbar entirely.
  • To restore the toolbar, right-click on one of the splitters between two panes, and re-enable "Show the toolbar".

(These settings are specific to each Facets element)

Reply #20
Oh man, this thread. I'm just going to dump this here.

Reply #21
Oh man, this thread. I'm just going to dump this here.
I don't understand your point.  You're not helping.  This dude has been selflessly helping me and I completely appreciate it.  Maybe PM me with specifics.

Back to the discussion.  I noticed that my Front/Back/CD/Artist label columns were all labeled as Album.  I went ahead and added the four columns under Facets, setting the value to %album%.  Minor cosmetic change but at least I the columns are leveled now.

Regarding the Playlist, it looks like EsPlaylist.  Again, I started with a them that I'd found awhile back and decided to start modifying it to my liking, so this part of it was in it from the beginning.  I don't know a whole lot about the various playlist components.

My grief with playlists in general is that I seem to inadvertently click or double-click items in the playlist and they start playing.  I did dig into the options and found that I can turn that off, and when I'm actually ready to listen, that I can click on a Play button.

So, what you're saying is, I need to replace the bottom facet (which currently shows individual tracks)  with a playlist to get the desired behavior and not Facets?

Reply #22
You don't understand? Read terms of agreement no5. You're not helping the forum, a topic shouldn't be your personal help thread, it should benefit all users hence why TOS rule 5 exist as it is exactly explained in the link I posted. This topic should've long before continued privately and as an experienced member Anamorphic should've known better. No, not back to discussion. The rules are there for a reason.
Can a mod intervene here?

Reply #24
Oh great, pointing out TOS #5 and get "reported"  ;D .  Ok then.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020