Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Looking for software to realize new approach to my music collection (Read 629 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for software to realize new approach to my music collection

Until recently I've been obsessed with way too much "perfection" in my approach to managing my music collection.
Chasing after perfect backups, even as far as correcting AR's offset being wrong by -30. Too much work.
But being a grumpy fart I'm disliking more and more music and now I'm removing lots of tracks from albums, so I don't really care for all that nitty gritty, just that, after verifying, the audible part be kept lossless.
For those albums that I'll be keeping in full, I already have a way to deal with them, but for the rest, I really want a different approach.

One concern I've run into with not always keeping full albums is that there seem to be carelessly mastered albums where track cuts aren't done properly. I'm talking about fadeout tails sticking into the next track and, more infrequently, beginnings of tracks being in the previous tracks's end. If you keep the whole album this is a minor annoyance, but if you are culling unwanted tracks, you risk damaging the ones you do keep.

For this reason, and, also, being interested in other conveniences, I'm looking for some program that is able detect the actual silent (digital or otherwise) gaps nearest to the cut points in the TOC so that I can both make sure the cuts aren't stepping into anything and also, trim unnecesary silences to size, particularly between non-consecutive tracks.
Ideally this would be able to work with individual tracks already holding their own metadata, but, I guess I could just work with CUE+image and deal with the metadata in parallel too.

┬┐Is there such a tool?

A second best alternative would be something that could, at least, point at any track cuts that aren't silent (digital or up to a threshold) so that I can manually deal with those without having to preemptively go through all of them manually.

Re: Looking for software to realize new approach to my music collection

Reply #1
Many audio editors (such as Audacity) have a "silence finder" or a "silence remover" but I'm not sure how much you can automate the task.  And of course, you'd have to rip the CD as one-big WAV file.

Any audio editor can losslessly edit a WAV file (or a FLAC, etc.) but with Audacity you have to disable dithering.

There shouldn't be that many CDs with that problem.   I only remember one CD with the track markers in "strange places".   And 'live" CDs usually require some careful editing (like fading-in and fading-out) f you want to make individual tracks.

Reply #2
Yes, I use Audacity and I'm aware of the need to disable dithering (one rather irritating aspect of it's setup, since I would like to have dithering for certain operations but not necesarily for saving, depending on the source material and purpose of the edit). I have never used the find or remove silence functions, though, but it sounds like automating that will be rather difficult at least. Audacity working as a multitrack editor, it doesn't keep separate metadata for different tracks or sections.
Also, there isn't built-in support to import CUE sheets as labels or something, so I can compare the silences audacity finds to the original track markers. All I've found is a website that converts CUEs to an Audacity friendly format. A rather convoluted workflow if you want to do more than one or two of those...

I'm trying to avoid all this manual work.

I've been unpleasantly surprised by how many albums I have that contain these badly authored track markers, stepping on either beginnings or ends. I've even found, in what I expected to be rather high quality releases, not a few cases of track fadeouts mixed into the beginning of the next track (which, of course, take even more manual work to more or less "fix").

I suppose the more players enter the music publishing industry, the more subpar work you'll find there too.

Reply #3
Instead of deleting, you can just give everything a default rating of 3, downvote what you don't like and search ...

And instead of cutting up files: https://foobar.hyv.fi/?view=foo_dsp_skip_silence ?
High Voltage socket-nose-avatar

Reply #4
Wow.  OCD much?  I'm finicky about my collection too and don't have any suggestions for you, but you apparently have way too much time on your hands.  *shrugs*

P.S. - I'm 59 and have learned how to relax a bit. 

Reply #5
@Porcus But I do want to delete stuff too, for to free up storage. I've accumulated way too much stuff over the years (some of which I haven't got around to listen to). Very often I find that I only like maybe a couple of tracks from an album. No reason to have the others lying around if I can cull them out without too much difficulty. But these concerns about badly set track cuts is kind of annoying.
I guess I could just delete away and then, if I find problems try to get them again and take the extra steps, but, IF there's software to do this the first time around already, that would be nice.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wow.  OCD much?
Gee, thanks...
you apparently have way too much time on your hands.  *shrugs*
Could be.
P.S. - I'm 59 and have learned how to relax a bit.
OK...
don't have any suggestions for you
Again, thank you SO much! Boy, was that helpful!

So, what was the point to your comment? And why do you speak like a teenager at 59? Peter Pan syndrome much?
Everyone is a psychologist nowadays... ;)

Look, I'm just trying to find a way to do this in the most streamlined way possible. If there's none that you know of, that's OK. I'll try to find a solution myself, or change my plans if there's nothing.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020