Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Website suggestions (from: Extend the HTTP & FTP support) (Read 186 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Extend the HTTP & FTP...

Website suggestions (from: Extend the HTTP & FTP support)

Feature request: Extend the FTP and HTTP support.
Along these lines -- is it possible  for HA links to also have none encrypted links?

I was trying to use the new player (1.6.1), but couldn't check for updates due to fast changing https requirements causing the client to become incompatible with the website.  I'm not saying to get rid of the https addrs, but it would be nice if there was an option in the flags to prefer non 's' addresses.  This way, older clients would still be able to connect the website.  As it is now, if the client and server aren't synchronized as to what versions they allow, they can't talk (had this happen today with client unable to connect using TLS 1.1a to the server.  I've noticed other open source websites support http for exactly the reason of older clients being able to still fetch updates from the newer server.

Thanks!
Astara

Re: Website suggestions (from: Extend the HTTP & FTP support)

Reply #1
I don't control the updates server, only the forum. The updates system already does clear text updates for Windows XP users running 1.5.x and older. I'm surprised a similar system isn't already in place for other obsolete operating systems such as Windows 7. Or even better, just bump up the installer size by a MB or two by bundling its own copy of OpenSSL or similar instead of depending on the OS to supply encryption support. You know, because software should continue to support dead end systems into eternity.

Reply #2
I don't control the updates server, only the forum. The updates system already does clear text updates for Windows XP users running 1.5.x and older. I'm surprised a similar system isn't already in place for other obsolete operating systems such as Windows 7. Or even better, just bump up the installer size by a MB or two by bundling its own copy of OpenSSL or similar instead of depending on the OS to supply encryption support. You know, because software should continue to support dead end systems into eternity.

As for what kode said about him controlling the forum, not the update server: of course, I thought this was for fb2k support -- it was
the program that had problems getting updates.

In general, if the OS the client is running on, doesn't support *whatever* transport, fall back to the last known working transport until it is decided to no longer support the OS.

XP was supported, how long after MS discontinued their support (as it was)?  I.e. Win10 is being pushed because MS wants to get subscription revenue, but given how many crashes, unbootable systems, and user-application incompatibility problems it has, I don't really think it is stable.  On top of that it doesn't have features that were supported (and that I purchased) in Win7. Those missing features are another reason I stay away.  But reality is, is that for companies that have paid for extended support that's lasting at least till 2023.  It seems its only consumers that are being used as beta testers of Win10 (and what else is new?).

As for differences between HTTPS and HTTP, I find the push to HTTPS to be of great benefit to companies like google as it allows google to lock others out of the data stream while not affecting it in the slightest.  I.e. content-caching has gotten significantly more difficult.  For many short files, (testing for latest file from a distro), HTTPS adds an extra 1-2 seconds per file!  I quickly made sure my check script used HTTP (given distrosizes well over 100k files).

Astara

Reply #3
In general, if the OS the client is running on, doesn't support *whatever* transport, fall back to the last known working transport until it is decided to no longer support the OS.
So even Windows 7 should be a platform where foobar falls back on plain http. Got it. Good thing the updates are signed, right?

XP was supported, how long after MS discontinued their support (as it was)?
XP is still supported by the 1.5.x line, which is still being updated.

Win10 is being pushed because MS wants to get subscription revenue
Um, what? Unless you're referring to the "subscription" of buying major OS updates every decade or so. It was a free update when it launched. It's still a one time purchase per license.

but given how many crashes, unbootable systems, and user-application incompatibility problems it has, I don't really think it is stable.
I could say the same thing about every major update they've rolled out, except ever since 10 came out, they got rid of the QA team and relegated that task to the "Insiders". (public volunteers)

On top of that it doesn't have features that were supported (and that I purchased) in Win7. Those missing features are another reason I stay away.
Media Center?

But reality is, is that for companies that have paid for extended support that's lasting at least till 2023.  It seems its only consumers that are being used as beta testers of Win10 (and what else is new?).
That's nice and all, but not all application developers can be expected to buy extended support for what is now mostly an unsupported operating system, just to ensure everything they write still works for everyone. Sure, it's the only way to guarantee stuff works as advertised. The alternative is simply saying that "Windows 10 is all we support, good luck if it works on anything else, but we don't test that".

As for differences between HTTPS and HTTP, I find the push to HTTPS to be of great benefit to companies like google as it allows google to lock others out of the data stream while not affecting it in the slightest.  I.e. content-caching has gotten significantly more difficult.  For many short files, (testing for latest file from a distro), HTTPS adds an extra 1-2 seconds per file!  I quickly made sure my check script used HTTP (given distrosizes well over 100k files).
I don't know what kind of old machine or connection you're running on, but for me, HTTPS connections start up instantly. Unless my connection is fizzling, like it does rarely. And most Linux distributions package their "hundreds of thousands" of files into large packages, so you usually only download dozens to hundreds to possibly a thousand if you install an awful lot of stuff.

I think you'll find that the update mechanism doesn't force upgrade to https, it's the client that's enforcing it on anything that runs Windows 7 or newer. Perhaps it shouldn't force HTTPS at all, since people will be using old operating systems for literally forever. Developers shouldn't target new operating systems, like, ever.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020