Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Can't play stereo files with mono output (Read 491 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't play stereo files with mono output

I'm using a Jabra Evolve 65 mono headset that has a mono output in Windows. When I try to play stereo files with the default output of Foobar2000 1.6, playback doesn't work. As soon as I enable the downmix to mono DSP, all works fine, but as I tend to switch outputs frequently, I'm not very happy with this approach. I think it could actually be considered a bug that Foobar is unable to downmix automatically somehow.
I also tried the WASAPI shared output, without luck.

Re: Can't play stereo files with mono output

Reply #1
Thanks for the bug report.
Please try with versions 1.6.1 and the latest 1.6.2 beta, as this should be fixed already in 1.6.1 (with more channel mapping fixes in 1.6.2).

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, no luck with both 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 Beta 5 I'm afraid. Files and streams simply refuse to play. Mono files play just fine.

Reply #3
Connected old Nokia headset (mono only) to a Windows 10 PC, everything works as intended, channels are auto downmixed correctly.
Please post full console output generated during the failure.
Also post full name of the output device used, per foobar2000's device list.

Reply #4
Output device name: Headset Earphone (Jabra Evolve 65)

Output:

Opening track for playback: "http://icecast.omroep.nl/radio1-bb-mp3"
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 2 channels (0x3)

Interesting enough, after I went into the control panel > sound > device properties > advanced, I noticed that there were two instances of '1 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz', one with and one without the 1 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz '(DVD Quality)' suffix. After I choose the DVD quality one, all worked again as expected and the other one without the suffix disappeared from the list. So at least for me, the issue is fixed now, though I'm not sure whether other people might suffer from this in future.

Reply #5
Is the console log from v1.6 or newer?
I'm interested in 'mix format' lines that I made logged since 1.6.1 to aid troubleshooting issues like this.

Reply #6
This was 1.6.2 beta 5. I cleared the console, then started playback, and this was all I got.

Reply #7
It's logged first time you start playback after fresh foobar2000 start (or after apparent mix format changes).

Reply #8
Change in beta 6: mix format info is shown as a part of the error message each time foobar2000 fails to negotiate the data format to send.
I'd really like to know what it says for you.
Thanks.

Reply #9
I just removed the device from device manager and plugged it in again, which allowed me to reproduce the issue:

Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 2 channels (0x3), mix format: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 1 channels

Reply #10
Thanks for the details again.
Fixed properly for the next update.

Reply #11
Thanks a lot for this!

Reply #12
Could you please test if I managed to also fix it in WASAPI shared?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020