Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: OPUS vs WMA - Which one sounds better ? (Read 931 times) previous topic - next topic

OPUS vs WMA - Which one sounds better ?

I need a clear information which one sounds better??
OPUS or WMA ??

I have a lot of songs in FLAC. I need to convert those files.

Re: OPUS vs WMA - Which one sounds better ?

Reply #2
WMA is a more than 20 year old format that hasn't been developed in over 15 years. It's not likely to be the best at anything.

Reply #3
I mean, is WMA even better than "state of the art" mp3 at this point (which really hasn't advanced much if at all in the last 10+ years either)

Reply #4
Indeed, the best thing you could do is your own listening test at a given bitrate. As Opus is an open codec and developed actively and WMA is proprietary and not developed anymore, my advice is to not even consider WMA. But I am of course not familiar with you own considerations/use cases.

Reply #5
Opus is the best at low bitrates. At mid-high bitrates they should perform similarly. Opus is quite a standard today and widely compatible. WMA is pretty much dead and being phased out.

Reply #7
Why would an end-user encode to WMA by now? Must be if they have some hardware (an in-car unit?) that doesn't support anything else?
High Voltage socket-nose-avatar

Reply #8
Even then I suspect you're probably better off with mp3

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020