Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: QAAC: discussion, questions, feature requests, etc. (Read 467358 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: QAAC: discussion, questions, feature requests, etc.

Reply #1125
can someone explain why qaac.exe and qaac64.exe does not make identical m4a file, from same source file, with same settings, -v 320 ? 🙄

Reply #1126
Slightly different order of operations -> slightly different result.

with floating point values, a*c + b*c isn't always equal to (a + b)*c, and even (a+b)+c isn't always equal to a+(b+c)

Reply #1127
Slightly different order of operations -> slightly different result.

with floating point values, a*c + b*c isn't always equal to (a + b)*c, and even (a+b)+c isn't always equal to a+(b+c)

that makes sense. thanks!

Reply #1128
... and (as far as I know) m4a files also contain metadata called "recording date" which is a time stamp down to a second.

Reply #1129
There is a warning on the changelog for qaac 2.69:

Note that opus support in libsndfile was committed VERY recently and it's not yet released officially.
Newest official release of libsndfile is version 1.0.28, which is some 3 years old and doesn't contain
opus support. So if you want libsndfile with opus support, you have to grab sources from github and
build it yourself.

I see that libsndfile 1.0.29 has in fact been released only 3 days ago and on my testing so far has meant that qaac has successfully used opus files as input. I have not tested extensively however and I would be interested to hear if others have tested with the new libsndfile?

Reply #1130
Hi
i have upgrade qaac to 2.69

but does apple upgrade recently the aac codec included in itunes ?
seeing in the qaac changelog there is nothing related to aac encoder
thanks

Reply #1131
I don't think so, I've recently checked if the killer sample "Fighter_Beat_Loop" still manages to defeat it, and unfortunately it still does.
If there were any improvements, I'd think they need to fix the obvious weaknesses first...
some ANC'd headphones + AutoEq-based impulse + Meier Crossfeed (30%)

Reply #1132
I don't think so, I've recently checked if the killer sample "Fighter_Beat_Loop" still manages to defeat it, and unfortunately it still does.
If there were any improvements, I'd think they need to fix the obvious weaknesses first...

Synth's common in Ambient/industrial music have issues too. Not impressed some track's need 224 ~ 256kbps to sound fine, While Vorbis/Lame sounded the same at 130kbps.
Got locked out on a password i didn't remember. :/

Reply #1133
I noticed QAAC or apple application support is faster on my (admittedly unpatched) W7 SP1 installation than my W10 installation on the same PC. W7 is about ~330x and produces slightly smaller files, differences in KBs or 0-1kbps in bitrate, while W10 is at ~260x. LAME and OPUS run at the roughly the same speed on W7 and W10 (both ~330x) and produce the exact same files. This has me wondering.

Reply #1134
Sorry, what are low pass filter defaults for the apple encoder? I've looked in qaac and hydrogenaudio wiki and there is not info as how they implement this for different bitrates, as in fraunhofer or lame encoder.

Reply #1135
Please note that Apple changed the content of its iTunes64.exe installers for Windows. They do not contain AppleApplicationSupport{64}.msi anymore since version 12.10.9; the last version to extract the CoreAudioToolbox from, using makeportable.bat, is 12.10.8 (available e.g. in the VideoHelp archive of iTunes).

But there is a new makeportable2.bat which seems to extract the required files now from iTunes64.msi inside the newer installers (64 bit only).

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020