Skip to main content
Topic: FLAC images split into individual files (Read 259 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC images split into individual files

Hello,
I have a question about CUETools. I would like to split a Flac image into individual Flac files using CUE Sheet. The question now arises as to which settings are optimal and whether the files are re-encoded and thus deteriorate. When comparing the original file with the new files created with CUETools, I noticed a sound difference and the kbps have changed.

Re: FLAC images split into individual files

Reply #2
I only know with EAC and Flac.exe. I don't know the quality level.

Reply #3
There's no such thing as FLAC quality level: FLAC is lossless, all encodings have the same (100%) quality.

Reply #4
Higher compression will produce a smaller file which will lower the average kbps of the compressed file. Lower compression will produce a larger file which will raise the average kbps of the compressed file. Both will decompress to the original audio without loss.
I only know with EAC and Flac.exe.
If the wizard was used to setup FLAC in EAC, the compression level was probably set to the -6 setting.
For similar compression level in CUETools, try libFLAC with the slider set to 6.
Note: The average kbps of the image file may be different than the average kbps of each file. The complexity of the audio also affects the level of compression.
korth

Reply #5
Thanks for your great help. I've tried a few levels now. At level 4 I get almost the same bit rate.

Which level is normally recommended?

Reply #6
-5 is the default. There is trade-off, a higher setting takes a little longer to compress (all decompress the same), a lower setting creates a bigger file. Many users use -8.
korth

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020