Skip to main content
Topic: [Bug Report] Converting Files with v1.6 Can Create Folders with Invalid Names (Read 328 times) previous topic - next topic

[Bug Report] Converting Files with v1.6 Can Create Folders with Invalid Names

Hello,

I converted a completely untagged file to MP3 with version 1.6 today. The conversion itself was successful, but it created a folder that I couldn't delete from within Windows Explorer the conventional way. The folder name looked something like " - ", but there was one additional character at the end - one I don't know how to type on my keyboard.
My file name pattern is the following:
%album artist% - %album%[ '('%date%')'][ '('%comment%')']/[CD %discnumber%/]%tracknumber% - %title%

Hope that helps.

Take care.

Re: [Bug Report] Converting Files with v1.6 Can Create Folders with Invalid Names

Reply #1
Thanks for the report.
Looks like a bug in Windows that such folders can be created in the first place, not even command prompt can delete it, or delete the parent folder....
I'm fixing this for the next update.

Re: [Bug Report] Converting Files with v1.6 Can Create Folders with Invalid Names

Reply #2
Thank you.
For the record, the way I managed to delete that folder is by compressing it into a 7-Zip archive from the Explorer context menu and checking the Delete files after compression option. For a while I worried that I would have to format my entire drive, but luckily this did the trick.

Reply #3
For future reference, looks like offending folders can be deleted from command prompt if you prefix the full path with \\?\
rd "\\?\d:\test\ - "

Reply #4
Thank you @MinorKey for your tip on deleting these phantom folders!!!

I was experimenting with the new qaac 2.70 update, converting some untagged files and after deleting the files, could not get rid of the empty folders.  They appeared to be called " - " as you noted.  Was not sure what caused the issue.  Could have been qaac, could have been foobar2000, could have been...

Tried command line, booting into safe mode, Unlocker, nothing worked.  But your 7zip trick did it and the folders are gone.  Did not try Peter's method since yours worked first.

Reply #5
@gottogo99 glad that it worked for you. These kind of things can be really annoying. For a moment I was worried I would have to format my drive just to get rid of that pesky folder. :D

Thank you @MinorKey for your tip on deleting these phantom folders!!!

I was experimenting with the new qaac 2.70 update, converting some untagged files and after deleting the files, could not get rid of the empty folders.  They appeared to be called " - " as you noted.  Was not sure what caused the issue.  Could have been qaac, could have been foobar2000, could have been...

Tried command line, booting into safe mode, Unlocker, nothing worked.  But your 7zip trick did it and the folders are gone.  Did not try Peter's method since yours worked first.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020