Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need help with EAC using MP3 and WavPack (Read 3285 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help with EAC using MP3 and WavPack

Hi, I am an old user of EAC. At that time I had 0.95 and I used a script written by pochorage called WACK to rip my CDs using freedeb to WavPack (4.1) and MP3 (3.96.1).

Since freedb is now not operation I had to install EAC 1.5, WavPack 5.1 and LAME 3.1

I have configured EAC to use WavPack as my External Compressor and LAME as my Additional External Compressor.  I used the guide in this YouTube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4mWfoVkUK8

However when I try to Test and Copy the CD it makes a Wavpack and a WAV copy in the same directory

G:\Artist Name\Album Name\xxxx.wv
G:\Artist Name\Album Name\xxxx. wav

I do not need a WAV file but would like the MP3 and WavPack to be in separate directories

G:\WV\Artist Name\Album Name\xxxx.wv
F:\MP3\Artist Name\Album Name\xxxx.mp3

Is there any way I can configure EAC to do this?
Thanks

Re: Need help with EAC using MP3 and WavPack

Reply #1
However when I try to Test and Copy the CD it makes a Wavpack and a WAV copy in the same directory
Did you tick the box to delete the WAV after compression? (External Compressor tab)

I do not need a WAV file but would like the MP3 and WavPack to be in separate directories
EAC > EAC Options > Filename (WavPack)
EAC > EAC Options > Additional Filename (LAME)

You can't specify the absolute path though, only the folders. (WV\%albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr2% %title%)
A single common drive can be specified in
EAC > EAC Options > Directories (G:\)

Edit:
I used the guide in this YouTube video.
I haven't watched the full video.
See also our guides https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Category:EAC_Guides
I'm slowly working on EAC Compression Options and EAC Options offline to include EAC v1.5
korth

Reply #2
I'm slowly working on EAC Compression Options and EAC Options offline to include EAC v1.5
You mean you're one of its developers? I've always thought of Andre as a lonely wolf of sorts.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #3
...working on rewriting the Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase guides for...
korth

Reply #4
...working in rewriting the Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase guides for...

Doh! Completely misread that.  :D
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #5
Did you tick the box to delete the WAV after compression? (External Compressor tab)

EAC > EAC Options > Filename (WavPack)
EAC > EAC Options > Additional Filename (LAME)

You can't specify the absolute path though, only the folders. (WV\%albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr2% %title%)
A single common drive can be specified in
EAC > EAC Options > Directories (G:\)

Edit:
I used the guide in this YouTube video.
I haven't watched the full video.
See also our guides https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Category:EAC_Guides

Thank you for your quick response. Let me implement your suggestions  tomorrow and report.

Reply #6
...working on rewriting the Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase guides for...

Wow! I guess I am in good hands now. Thank you again for helping out. This technology thing has always foxed me. It is just that since the last time I ripped my CDs I have collected about a hundred new ones so wanted to add those to my hard disk.  Yes I still listen to CDs on a CD player at home. The Lossless copies are for archiving should any disk get damaged and the MP3 copies for listening to on my iPod and in my car.

Reply #7

I did check my the box to delete the WAV after compression? (External Compressor tab).

Should I be using the Test and Copy option or another option?

The WV file folder still has a copy of the WAV files. The only files it created in my MP3 folder was a M3U file and a text file. The folders are on the same drive (G:\) as specified in the "Use this directory option" in EAC Options\Directories. The Filename and Additional Filename command lines are given below:
WAV\%albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr2% %title%
MP3\%albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr2% %title%

Just to confirm my command line prompts for WavPack are:
-h -w "Artist=%artist%" -w "Title=%title%" -w "Album=%albumtitle%" -w "Year=%year%" -w "Track=%tracknr%" -w "Genre=%genre%" %source% %dest%
And for LAME are:
-V 0 --vbr-new --ta "%artist%" --tt "%title%" --tl "%albumtitle%" --tg "%genre%" --ty "%year%" --tn "%tracknr%" --tc "%comment%" %source% %dest%

I hope these are good enough.

Reply #8
I did check my the box to delete the WAV after compression? (External Compressor tab).
[...]
The WV file folder still has a copy of the WAV files. The only files it created in my MP3 folder was a M3U file and a text file.
Sounds like either the WavPack encoder is exiting prematurely (which prevents the LAME encoder from running and the WAV wouldn't be deleted until LAME has completed).
or
The LAME encoder is exiting prematurely (which prevents the MP3 from being created and the WAV wouldn't be deleted until LAME has completed).

Did you try "Test encoder"? (External Compressor tab) and (Additional External Compressor tab)

Edit: Nothing to do with this. Just a general warning.
'Replace spaces by underscores' doesn't work correctly in v1.5
EAC > EAC Options > Filename
EAC > EAC Options > Additional Filename
File paths are created incorrectly and files are saved in wrongly named folders. Don't use.
korth

Reply #9
Ran a quick test using your parameter settings. Completed Okay.
--vbr-new is default in LAME 3.1 and not needed.
Make sure 'Parameter Passing Scheme' for both encoders is set to 'User Defined Encoder'.
korth

Reply #10
Make sure 'Parameter Passing Scheme' for both encoders is set to 'User Defined Encoder'.
Thanks.
Yesterday was a busy day (thanks to social distancing I am going to the office only 3 days a week). My desktop PC is also in my office so I will re-run  EAC on Monday and report.

MOD Edit: removed extra quote

Reply #11

I started playing around  and tried using "LAME MP3 encoder" for the my "Additional External Compression" somehow EAC is now making 2 folders (see below) in my G:\ drive. And there is no more WAV file.

WV\%albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr2% %title%
MP3\%albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr2% %title%

When I tried using "User Defined Encoder" for my "Additional External Compression" , I got an error and I would get that WAV file with my WavPack file and no MP3 file in my MP3 directory.

Does this make sense?

Thanks for all your help.

Reply #12
Actually it would make more sense the other way round.
The additional command-line options %source% and %dest% are not valid parameters for the "LAME MP3 encoder" scheme and would produce an excess argument error.
korth

Reply #13
The additional command-line options %source% and %dest% are not valid parameters for the "LAME MP3 encoder" scheme and would produce an excess argument error.

LOL. I am quite confused. Anyway it seems to work so I am leaving it this way. BTW I made a mess of my MP3 folder.

iTunes asked me to "keep files" I assumed it meant to keep files in the library so I said delete and now my whole MP3 folder is deleted.

Full details here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=119771.0

Reply #14

You are right. I was getting this error and I removed %source% and %dest% and did not realise it in all the tinkering I was doing.

My current argument for my MP3s is:
-V 0 --vbr-new --ta "%artist%" --tt "%title%" --tl "%albumtitle%" --tg "%genre%" --ty "%year%" --tn "%tracknr%" --tc "%comment%"

Now in my MP3 folder I get '%title%' for Title, '%artist%' for Artist, and '%albumtitle%' for Album. These fields are not populated with the artist name or title of the CD. So iTunes does not recognize my newly added music unless I include the .m3u file. And if I include the .m3u file it makes play lists for each album. I don't want 100s of playlists.

Meanwhile I managed to make MP3s from my Wav folders and tagged them manually in iTunes (with Artist, Album, and Art Work).

Reply #15
"LAME MP3 encoder" is a "Preset" with parameters already configured. You need to remove tagging from the "Additional command-line options" and tick the "Add ID3 tag" box. Encoding options are controlled using the "Bit rate" and "Quality" settings.

"User Defined Encoder" ignores "Bit rate" and "Quality" unless you use the placeholders %bitrate%, %ishigh%…%ishigh%, %islow%…%islow% in the "Additional command-line options". Tagging can be added by ticking the "Add ID3 tag" box (if the encoder supports ID3) or by defining the tags in the "Additional command-line options".  EDIT: The cover can be embedded (if the encoder supports and cover file image exists) using the placeholders %hascover%…%hascover% and %coverfile%.

The "Art Work" for all compressors (if exist) is configured on the "ID3 Tag" tab. Tick "Add cover image to ID3V2 tag" to embed the cover (if the encoder supports) and tick "Write cover image into extraction folder" to save the cover to the output folder.
korth

Reply #16
You need to remove tagging from the "Additional command-line options" and tick the "Add ID3 tag" box.

"User Defined Encoder" ignores "Bit rate" and "Quality" unless you use the placeholders %bitrate%, %ishigh%…%ishigh%, %islow%…%islow% in the "Additional command-line options".
Tagging can be added by ticking the "Add ID3 tag" box (if the encoder supports ID3) or by defining the tags in the "Additional command-line options". 

The "Art Work" for all compressors (if exist) is configured on the "ID3 Tag" tab. Tick "Add cover image to ID3V2 tag" to embed the cover (if the encoder supports) and tick "Write cover image into extraction folder" to save the cover to the output folder.

Thank Korth. I had a nasty surprise today. For some reason EAC  would go through the motions but was not making any wv or MP3 files. On a lark I restarted my PC and now it is working fine.

I am also getting ID3 tags and artwork (except for a few CDs for which there is no artwork on the database).