Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Find bands with multiple genres (Read 919 times) previous topic - next topic

Find bands with multiple genres

One of the final cleanup steps I'd like to take on my library is to find bands that have multiple genres associated with them as the majority of the time there should only be one. Some way to do this? thx

Re: Find bands with multiple genres

Reply #2
Thank you, however that seems to be returning albums that have >1 genre associated with them - I'm looking for bands that have multiple genres tied to them over the course of their respective discographies (e.g. every Iron Maiden album should be Metal but if one is Rock then return them in the filter)

Reply #3
Well you can't do that with any kind of search. Everything is evaluated per track.

However, you should be able to achieve something close to what you want with foo_facets. First pane should be artist, the second should be genre. Now right click the artist pane column header and enable statistic>sub items. Then click that column header to reverse sort so artists with the most genres appear first.

Reply #4
"Well you can't do that with any kind of search. Everything is evaluated per track."

Not entirely true, there's a way but it only works _per artist_. the built-in filters component would show you every genre associated with a single artist but, only for one artist at a time... In the Library > Configure > Display > Columns UI > Filters you do need to set the behavior precedence to "by position in splitter" and then have Artist come before Genre in a splitter with these two filters.

However, many great bands didn't limit themselves to just the one genre, especially those that have been around for a very long time.
So it would totally not be that weird to see more than one genre linked to a single artist.

Fun fact: Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) also operates as the bands pilot of their Ed Force One

Reply #5
Well you can't do that with any kind of search. Everything is evaluated per track.

However, you should be able to achieve something close to what you want with foo_facets. First pane should be artist, the second should be genre. Now right click the artist pane column header and enable statistic>sub items. Then click that column header to reverse sort so artists with the most genres appear first.
Subitem just showed 0 for everything but regardless this helped as I just look for Artists with multiple entries in the Artist column - thx!