Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Stereo or Joint Stereo with leadvoice panning (Read 2344 times) previous topic - next topic

Stereo or Joint Stereo with leadvoice panning

Hey! ;D
 I'm using foobar2000 and lame3.100-64.
I want to work on several files with leadvoices panning from left to right / front to back.
My preset is "-S --noreplaygain -b 32 -m j -p  -V 0 -B 320 -q 0 - %d".
Is Joint Stereo better than Stereo? I'm interest in quality, the size is second nature for me.
THX Dirk

Re: Stereo or Joint Stereo with leadvoice panning

Reply #1
Joint Stereo is better.*    Information that's common to left & right is only encoded/stored once allowing the compression algorithm to make better use of the "bits".   With regular stereo at 320kbps, each side is getting 160kbps.

That part of the process (converting L & R to L+R & L-R) is lossless and completely reversible.

Joint stereo is "smart" so it only does that when there is enough common information for it to make sense.  For example, if you have English  dialog on one side and French on the other it will be encoded as regular stereo even if you've selected joint stereo.   

* With lossy compression we can't really say it's "better" unless it actually sounds better and that's not always the case.  Similarly, we can't say 320kbps is better than 192kbps if they sound identical.

Reply #2
Cool thank you and you're right, as it's a streaming-protocol witk vbr you can have frame containing more than 320 bit.
THX Dirk

Reply #3
My preset is "-S --noreplaygain -b 32 -m j -p  -V 0 -B 320 -q 0 - %d".
Is Joint Stereo better than Stereo? I'm interest in quality, the size is second nature for me.

• -p CRC error detection
    Turn on CRC error protection. It will add a cyclic redundancy check (CRC) code in each frame, allowing to detect transmission errors that could occur on the MP3 stream. However, it takes 16 bits per frame that would otherwise be used for encoding, and then will slightly reduce the sound quality.
  • -b n Bitrate
    When used with variable bitrate encodings (VBR), -b specifies the minimum bitrate to use.
    Default for ABR/VBR is the minimum allowed bitrate for the MPEG version. (i.e. no limit)
  • -B n Max bitrate
    Default value is the maximum allowed bitrate for the MPEG versio (i.e. no limit)
  • -q n Algorithm quality selection
    -q 3 is the default
    For the default VBR mode:
    -q 0 to -q 4   include all features of the other modes and additionally use the best search when applying Huffman coding.
  • -m mode
    joint, simple, force, dual-mono, mono, left, right. default is j.

Looks like you just need -S --noreplaygain -V0 - %d
(and --noreplaygain here only means faster encoding and leaving the replaygain task to foobar2000. )

Cool thank you and you're right, as it's a streaming-protocol witk vbr you can have frame containing more than 320 bit.
THX Dirk

• A 128 kbps CBR bitstream, because of the bit reservoir, can actually have frames which use as many bits as a 320 kbps frame. ABR/VBR modes minimize the use of the bit reservoir, and thus need to allow 320 kbps frames to get the same flexibility as CBR streams.

If anything, the opposite of what you said is true, but the whole sentence is probably wrong anyway.

In fact, there are some compatibility modes in LAME because the older frauhoffer decoder on Windows could not have more than ~6000something bits for a frame so the "use more than an equivalent 320kbps" is just "not much more than that".