Skip to main content
Topic: 1.6b5 and lower - short files just don't play sometimes (Read 696 times) previous topic - next topic

1.6b5 and lower - short files just don't play sometimes

So one thing I like about the new 1.6 betas is that they make playback start much faster in most situations. However by default if the smooth seeking etc checkbox isn't checked there is a massive fade in when playing new files, which is a big problem for me as I use foobar plus a file explorer to browse through sample libraries for kick drums and snares and the like, and also game sounds. Checking this box has fixed the fading in problem, but it seems that is files are under a certain length they just won't play sometimes, sometimes I can get them to play by playing a longer file and then the shorter one again. This seems to happen especially with files that foobar rounds the playlist displayed length down to 0:00, which they are not, by the way. Maybe if you're gonna round like that always round to 0:01 if it has any length at all? I'm often cycling through these very fast, but successive plays of the same file generally doesn't do anything. I have no fading in my manual track change since that's the problematic one for me, so I don't think it's being eaten by the fade.

Re: 1.6b5 and lower - short files just don't play sometimes

Reply #1
I also have the same issue, it doesn't like audio files that are less than 5k samples, and I've noticed that FLAC's don't sound that good in 1.6, so I've just downgraded to whatever I had that wasn't 1.6
It might be related to WASAPI-only output, which excludes XP support (Vista was the first to implement and use WASAPI as default sound interface), although I'm using WASAPI output plugin in 1.5.4 and I don't have those sort of issues.
lh11, the noob person

Reply #2
Thanks to the magic of placebo effect.

Reply #3
I tried the WASAPI shared mode output before, I use a screen reader so I need it to be in shared mode, and the fades were far too great for me. I couldn't even browse these samples at all, I'd just get the tail if even that on most. And there was no way in 1.5.4 to adjust the fading times of that particular output, I'm not sure if that's with all alternative outputs or just the WASAPI shared one, but that's way too high, even with Windows 10 fading some WASAPI shared initially it wasn't near that much. I had to downgrade back to 1.5.x. It may also have to do with the resampler I'm using, resampler (SRC), which I know on some very short files caused some studdering. I use it because I have to listen to certain content at 22.05kHz and with the normal resamplers it gets artificial highs like it's being ZOH'd.

Reply #4
OK so to see if it was a problem with my resampler I switched the prefered one in that spot in tools to PPHS. I'll let you know if it happens again, it is finicky to reproduce. Also there needs to be a better way to configure the automatic resampling preference, like that will let me choose options in the resampler DSP so I can put it in a mode that doesn't suck, or a mode that uses less resources, depending on the DSP.

Reply #5
OK so it does not appear to be a result of the DSP I was using. It made some sense for it to be drive delay, but not with the results I'm getting here. With the smooth seeking checkbox unchecked and it under that number of samples, it seems to prepend silence to the beginning and then play it, just sounds like a lag to me but I'm not sure what's causing it. With smooth seeking on, which is what I'd want, it will actually sit there and not advance in a file under this length. I have one file here of a closed high hat from a drum library that's 2455 samples at 44100 Hz, and when I try to play it in foobar 1.6b5 it just sits there, the status bar perpetually saying "PCM | 1411 kbps | 44100 Hz | stereo | 0:00 / 0:00".
No error messages are popping up, though I'm not sure how to check the debug console and if it is screen reader accessible. I'd like to see if this can be reproduced on other people's systems with different files with similar attributes, I agree with the under 5k samples or so boundary, though maybe the boundary is lower if using a lower sampling rate.

Reply #6
Not exactly the same, but i noticed that with fading anabled playback can stuck forever on very short file if this is the only file in playlist (or last file in playlist) and playback of this file was started manually. No errors are reported.
Example of file is attached.

Reply #7
This is exactly the problem I'm having. I'm pressing enter on these from a file manager, so they become the only item in the playlist and then they start playing manually, if something else was playing it acts like a manual track change.

Reply #8
Should be fixed in beta 7

Reply #9
Can confirm that this is fixed in beta 7. Some short files still tend to have a bit of a delay on the beginning but it doesn't get stuck anymore and it doesn't truncate so we're good.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020