Skip to main content
Topic: unknown EAC extraction options (Read 367 times) previous topic - next topic

unknown EAC extraction options

hello,

i want to rip my classical cd collection with EAC, and use profiles to have the ability of quickly change the naming scheme according to the different recordings (1 or n composers, 1 or n discs, 1 or n versions etc).

for that, i have to use the "extraction options" profile type. I found a key "extraction options" in the registry which list them : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AWSoftware\EACU\Extraction Options ; in this list, we find all the "EAC > EAC options" but not only them.
i find also:
- includeGaps and GapsHandlingDefault, which are set when checking one of the gap handling menu options (menu action)
- Add2SecondGap : used when using "Tools > write cd-r"

for the others, i don't know where they are set.
does anybody knows ?

- AskOverwrite
- CheckReadCommandD8
- CheckDensity
- CheckReadCommandD4
- TimeDisplayUsingFrames
- UseRawCDPlayMethod
- RemoveSilence
- NoCompressionWindow
- DeleteFileOnCDCopy
- AskBeforeWriteOnCDCopy
- ID

thanks in advance,
eseb63

Re: unknown EAC extraction options

Reply #1
When you create/save an "extraction options" profile, it is stored in %appdata%\EAC\Profiles
You adjust the settings as you normally would through the program (not the registry) then Save the settings to the profile. To change to the settings stored in a profile, you Load that profile.
I would create an "All EAC options" profile to store all your Default settings first.
korth

Reply #2
Korth, thanks for your reply...
my question was maybe a bit confusing : i know that profiles aren't  stored in the registry but in files, but i supposed that the extraction settings stored in an "extraction options" profile were the sames than those stored in the "Extraction Options" registry key...
so, if this assumption is verified, i was wondering what were the function of these unknown options and where they were set, not to store them in the profile with bad values...

am i wrong? did you use some of them?

other question : the forum on the EAC site is not alive, does exist a place where to submit to the author a bug or a wish ?

Reply #3
did you use some of them?
Do I use profiles? Yes
Do I use Read Commands other than autodetect? No
Do I use the CD Player? No
Do I use Tools > Copy CD? No

- AskOverwrite
00=off, ff=on
EAC Options > General > Ask before overwriting files
- TimeDisplayUsingFrames
00=off, ff=on
EAC Options > General > Display time using frames
- RemoveSilence
00=off, ff=on
EAC Options > Extraction > Delete leading and trailing silent blocks
- NoCompressionWindow
00=off, ff=on
EAC Options > Tools >Do not open external compressor window

does exist a place where to submit to the author a bug or a wish ?
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/information/contact/
See email. Use a clear Subject. Don't expect a reply.
korth

Reply #4
thanks, i had missed some "EAC options".

after checking, all "EAC options" are handled by an "extraction options" profile excepted:
General:
    - use language
    - create log files always in english language
Tools:
    - activate beginner mode, disable all advanced features
    - submit drive features after detection [but ask for permission]

a weird behavior : when creating a new profile, EAC limits its name size, but this limit vary according to the character string : it can be less than 40 up to 60 or so (If the profile is renamed outside EAC with a longer name, it will be shown though) ; i thought the goal could be to limit the name according to the visible width in the dropdown list, but this doesn't match really.

i finally achieved to get a template list with EAC : it's usable but a dedicated profile type which would just include the "directories" and "filename" options would be handier : it would avoid to modify all the profiles if i change another "EAC option".

the readability of the profile list is acceptable.
X

it could be better (the same with foobar 2000)
X

it could be worse (the same with dbPowerAmp, unusable)
X

for the moment, i didn't find a product with advanced ripping capabilities and handy handling of naming templates : EAC is a good compromise.

i noticed some drawbacks using the naming scheme :
- EAC don't check that the concerned tags are set
- EAC don't check that the filename length or path length won't exceed the windows limits
- EAC don't let the user define a custom template for a playlist or log file name,  but always uses %albumartist% - %albumtitle% which may easily exceed the windows path limits according to the folder path used for the extraction.
- EAC don't offer a preview feature to see the effect of the naming scheme according to the track tags

to handle files with a too long path, I point out the existence of two handy (and free) tools:
with the first (trial version), we can search about long path files.
https://www.abtosoftware.com/products/path-too-long-utility

when found, we can handle them with the second (rename, delete ...) 
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Delimon-Win32-Explorer-V40-bc957ab4

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020