Skip to main content

Poll

Do you want the idea to be implemented?

Yes.
[ 1 ] (25%)
Yes, with on/off switcher in Preferences.
[ 2 ] (50%)
Yes, for word start.
[ 1 ] (25%)
No.
[ 0 ] (0%)
Other (explain here).
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Topic: Autocomplete, based on not just the first letters? (full-text, word start...) (Read 116 times) previous topic - next topic

Autocomplete, based on not just the first letters? (full-text, word start...)

Autocomplete function searches only by first letters. If i have an entry in database Fred Jones as an artist, trying autocomplete another file does return a hit only for the first letter(s): f, fr, fre... If i try Jo... or even nes, i have no hits. Is there a solution, even with a plugin, to search everywhere within the existing values of the field? As usual search works.

I know, it is also a matter of resources -- maybe, it could be turned on/off in Preferences?

There was already such a suggestion: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=116509.msg966855#msg966855

Re: Autocomplete, based on not just the first letters?

Reply #1
I think searching at the start of a word would be a reasonable balance of resource consumption and usefulness. A full text search would also return too many irrelevant results if the program isn't somehow able to be take the album's context into account (too ambitious). There are already too many people called John or Jones, and the list of songwriters runs off-screen for my small collection. Maybe it could consider all entered words space-separed strings or words, without any other context, to expand M. Jones into Marshall Jones, jumping over straight to the letter M.

Re: Autocomplete, based on not just the first letters?

Reply #2
I think searching at the start of a word would be a reasonable balance of resource consumption and usefulness.
Yes, I agree.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020