Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: UniGUI - Unified GUI for CueTools - Non functional / Concept (Read 938 times) previous topic - next topic

UniGUI - Unified GUI for CueTools - Non functional / Concept

-First, I am not a professional programmer/designer. So all of this could be done better for sure.
- Second, my English is very limited. I am sorry.

A few days ago I was curious about XAML and I spent some time trying it in Visual Studio.
At the same time, I was using CueTools. It's an excellent program, but the user interface is a bit outdated, inconsistent and messy (IMHO, no ofense intended).
So after a few samples, some buttons and text boxes, I started thinking about this as a practice:

-One single GUI unifying all the options of CueTools.
-Clear, logic and easy enough by default (thinking in my father, 70).  :)
-Updated and nice design (IMHO, again).  ;)

Today, I have something that could work, but this is an unfinished project that can be unfinished forever, because I don't have knowledge enough for write a lot of the needed functionality.
Since I keep "playing" with XAML and trying to improve things in the UI, all the opinions and suggestions are wellcome. If someone is interested, I will send the source (Visual Studio 2019 Community, C#, WPF App, .NET Core).

Some graphical explanations:

Clean 1:1 (as advised, it's only a non functional GUI, some parts are edited):

Best regards.

Re: UniGUI - Unified GUI for CueTools - Non functional / Concept

Reply #1
👎
korth

Reply #2
And the long answer is... :D
I can accept criticism, of course, but I was waiting something like "put more icons" or "the window is too big". It's not a radical change from the current UI.
Make a slightly more elaborated answer, please. I have a lot of controls left to try, including tabs and sliders.  :))

Reply #3
That was just my vote. I expected others to respond.
I do appreciate that you put a lot of thought and work into this.
There is just too much packed into one window.
I would prefer a multi-windowed approach
  • one tool per window showing only the controls necessary to use that tool
  • a menu window to select which tool you want to use (plus shortcuts that do the same)
  • the ability to move work from one tool to another (e.g. CUERipper to CUETools repair)
korth

Reply #4
I know this worth nothing without a developer, but I keep spending time with this concept.
I have a new draft, trying to simplify things a bit. Not a "unified" GUI anymore (a single tool has its own tab), and I'm not 100% happy with this yet, but I could live with it.
I don't know if the drop down menu makes sense as it has tabs too, but it's a way to go further. The first attempt was more conservative and realistic, but we could be even more disruptive and move many one-time-config options to settings. Let's see if there's a third one.

Main menu:

Audio CD tab:

Reply #5
Very cool! Could you share that one too, please?

Reply #6
I'm sorry. As I've said these UI concepts were basic and incomplete practises of XAML, made with novice's curiosity. They are empty of functionality, so I edit the graphics simulating one hypothetical "real thing".
I posted a first attempt expecting some interactivity and ideas from other forum members, and then I made a second version trying to follow Korth's comments, but I think that they can add nothing truly better than an edited graphic.
Regards, and thanks for your interest.  ;)

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020