Skip to main content
Topic: list favorite albums (Read 500 times) previous topic - next topic

list favorite albums

Hi to everybody.
Is it possible one of the following?

First, I am trying to find a way so I can have my favorite mp3 albums (folders) all together so I can have easy access to them. Something like drag n drop to a window/tab.
Second the same as above but the most played mp3 folders sorted from the most played to less played.

By the way I am sharing my foobar layout for inspiring new and old users.

Re: list favorite albums

Reply #1
Hi there,

Well, I guess the usual way would be to use an auto-playlist. In your layout it looks like there is no list of playlists or way to switch between them. Do you only use the one library playlist? Perhaps you could splitter the Library Tree area in two and add a Playlist Manager (script/panel), or put them both under Tabs - 'Library' and 'Playlists' tabs?

I tag my favorite albums with a custom FAVORITE tag (you can name it anything), using a Masstagger script and a heart shaped toolbar button. Use the 'Format value from other fields' action in Masstagger to create an on/off toggle -

Destination field name: FAVORITE
Formatting pattern: $if(%favorite%,,$char(10084))

(It places a heart ❤ character in the tag)

Then you can save it as a script, which puts it in the right-click album name > Tagging > Scripts context menu, which you can also make a toolbar button from. Once the favorite albums are tagged, make auto-playlists by going Library > Search and enter (for example) -

Code: [Select]
%favorite% PRESENT SORT BY %album artist% %date% %album%
-Or-
%favorite% PRESENT SORT DESCENDING BY %play_count%

(And next to the search box click the '...' > 'Create auto-playlist')

For added effect you can place the [%favorite%] tag next to %album% tag in your playlist grouping and library tree to show the heart character, as a nice way to identify them.

I guess if you did not want to mess around with tags, there would be other methods...

Per your suggestion, you could make a new playlist for your favorites, add a new tab and put EsPlaylist component in there and pin that playlist (so it always shows only that playlist), then drag and drop albums in there. Then you could add a [%play_count%] column to sort by most played.

I prefer the tag method myself, quick and easy to select an album and heart it, and foobar auto updates the playlist. And I like seeing the heart character in the library viewer and elsewhere.

Cheers

Reply #2
Thank you, I am gonna try first your second suggestion cause I don't want to mess with tags and come back with feedback.

Reply #3
Thank you, I am gonna try first your second suggestion cause I don't want to mess with tags and come back with feedback.
That should be fine, if you only have 5-10 fav albums stored in the same "rememberable" place.

If you walk around more than 60 years on this earth, you probably have some more favorites albums (or just some favorite songs of some random albums).
In this case, tagging of files is essential, as you can tag them with everything you want.

U're are also able to find those tags in other musicplayers, so you are not forced to use foobar2000.
Or, if you use foobar2000 on MacOSX too, you don't need to copy playlists (and correct paths), just evaluate the tags and there you go.

Reply #4
However tagging refers only to songs. I would like to tag the folders (albums) somehow but I haven't find any solution yet.

Say for example that "Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind" is one of my favorite albums. Besides I don't like that much 1-2 songs of this album. Rating all the tracks with 5 Stars or by heart tag doesn't reflect the reality.

Reply #5
However tagging refers only to songs. I would like to tag the folders (albums) somehow but I haven't find any solution yet.
because there is none :-)

Foobar2000, keeps track of all of your tags, but u need to fill that gap yourself. (Some would say, luckily, because you can do whatever u want then...)

I have my own "album fav" tag, MY_OWN_ALBUM_FAV_TAG, and set it to "1", once I feel, the album is worth it and not only a bunch of tracks on that album are good.
Now, with the ALBUM-Tag "Piece of Mind" and MY_OWN_ALBUM_FAV_TAG set to 1, I can do further actions, like grouping.

But I'm boring and technical nerd, so I just have a CUI Display script, which shows ¹ or ² or ³ weather the shown tracks are album-favs, song-favs or both.
$puts(FAV,
$if($and(%MY_OWN_ALBUM_FAV_TAG%,%MY_OWN_SONG_FAV_TAG%),3,
$if(%MY_OWN_ALBUM_FAV_TAG%,2,
$if(%MY_OWN_SONG_FAV_TAG%,1,0))))
$replace($get(FAV),3,³,2,²,1,¹,0,)
(I mostly don't use RATING, because its too much work to decide between 1,2,3,4,5. either its a good song, or not. basta.)

Searching the library for MY_OWN_ALBUM_FAV_TAG set to "1" is also simple to create an autoplaylist with all your fav'ed albums. The UI can group them with the ALBUM tag and you have a neat looking playlist. (Maybe others chime in with nice screenshots, I only have a dull display of my playlists)

IMHO and to my own usecase, its nicer to define album-favorites per track, because I can skip all tracks, I don't like on an album and so they don't appear in the list of album-favs.

Say, a 2010 remastered album of 1979 has now some interview tracks and bonus tracks in addition, which were'nt on the original album from 1979, I just don't tag those tracks with MY_OWN_ALBUM_FAV_TAG and voilá, I only see the "original" album in my fav list.

Reply #6
I have started using ratings for making my favourite album/song lists. For example, I mark all the album and give 4 star rating. It doesnt mean that all albums tracks worth 4 star rating but at least I can manage somehow my fav albums.

Now I have a more technical question, I did a configuration reset by accident few days ago and when I tried again to load all my music library noticed that all ratings, favs, statistics have gone. What is going on? I thought that all tagging info are stored inside the track. Apparently no.  Fortunately I had a recent back up from profile foobar folder and I managed to restore the information.
Can I store the above info to tracks? Is it recommended? Have I done smg wrong?

Thank you guys

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020