Skip to main content
Topic: Suddenly can't update tags through foobar2000 (Read 962 times) previous topic - next topic

Suddenly can't update tags through foobar2000

When I try to update the tags on any of my files through foobar2000 i get this error:

Code: [Select]
Could not update info on:
D:\Music\Artist\Album\File.flac
Reason: Unsupported format or corrupted file

The last thing i remember doing that could have make something go wrong was changing my system locale from Japanese to Chinese. I did try to switch back but that didn't change anything.
I can still play the songs normally like i did before. I can update tags through Windows Explorer. So i'm not sure what's wrong or how to fix it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Suddenly can't update tags through foobar2000

Reply #1
Please do the following two things:

1) Copy the file to your Documents folder on the C drive and try updating it there.

2) Also upload a copy of the currently broken file to the forum and we'll take a look at it.

Reply #3
Your file tags fine in all foobar2000 versions I tested. System locale is irrelevant for foobar2000 as it uses unicode interfaces.
You haven't touched decoder priorities or added a custom FLAC decoder with foo_input_ffmpeg or foo_input_exe?

Reply #4
I'm not sure. I don't think i touched  anything of that, but I do remember something with ffmpeg popping up at some point.

Reply #5
If so, is there a way to reset it to the original settings ?

Reply #6
If that is the problem you can open Preferences -> Playback -> Decoding page. Make sure "foobar2000 FLAC Decoder" has a checkmark so it's enabled and that there are no non-standard decoders above it. The other "foobar2000 * Decoder" entries are fine and can be above it.

Reply #7
It doesn't look like i have any non-standard decoders, So this should be fine?

Reply #8
If so, is there a way to reset it to the original settings ?
Install foobar2000 in portable mode and try to tag your files there.

Reply #10
Which version of foobar2000 are you testing with?
Can you enable "Crash on tag update error" setting found under Preferences -> Advanced -> Debugging? Once it's enabled repeat the tagging issue and submit the crash. Peter should then be able to figure out what causes this mysterious error.

Reply #12
Problem being investigated, thanks for reporting.

Reply #15
Thanks for testing.
Please generate a new report, from the beta 5, per Case's instructions, and post it.

Reply #17
Thanks.

I'm afraid that I still can't figure out why this happens.

Additional debugging code has been introduced in beta 6 - please run it and post just the full error message that it shows when it fails to tag a FLAC file.

Reply #18
Could not update info on:
D:\Music\Beach House\Beach House - Depression Cherry (2015) [24-44 FLAC]\01-Levitation.flac
Reason: FLAC update failure: FLAC__METADATA_CHAIN_STATUS_WRITE_ERROR, original error: Access denied

Reply #19
Thanks.

Any idea why your system would allow foobar2000 to open a file for writing, then deny actual writing? If the file was proper read-only, foobar2000 would not get that far and fail with a proper error message right away.
Any anti-virus software running that could be doing this?

Reply #20
Okay, so apparently Windows Defender had Controlled folder access turned on and marked my music folder as a protected folder. Not sure why it happened, as I haven't touched any Windows Defender settings recently, but it's back to normal now.

Reply #21
Thanks for the info. I'll try to generate more meaningful error messages for this condition.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020