Skip to main content
Topic: Help to find duplicates tracks in an album (Read 278 times) previous topic - next topic

Help to find duplicates tracks in an album

Let me explain my problem. I use an application, Cloud Player, which indexes my music in the cloud, but it has a problem, tracks with the same title and track number in an album with multiple discs, it understands as equal and the app skips those tracks, that is, it doesn't index. One solution I found for this was to rename these tracks by adding an invisible character with alt + 255, but for that, I need to find these tracks.

And yes, several albums for some reason the artist puts with a duplicate name, for example, a lot of albums with multiples discs and "untitled" as a title's track or "untitled" as an album.

For example this album https://www.discogs.com/Mike-Oldfield-Music-Of-The-Spheres/release/14480313

Music Of The Spheres
Disc 01
1-01   Harbinger   4:08
1-02   Animus   3:09
1-03   Silhouette   3:19
1-04   Shabda   3:56
1-05   The Tempest   5:48
1-06   Harbinger Reprise   1:30
1-07   On My Heart   2:26
1-08   Aurora   3:42
1-09   Prophecy   2:54
1-10   On My Heart Reprise   1:16
1-11   Harmonia Mundi   3:46
1-12   The Other Side   1:28
1-13   Empyrean   1:37
1-14   Musica Universalis   6:24

Disc 02

Music Of The Spheres (Live At The Guggenheim)
2-01   Harbinger   4:09
2-02   Animus   3:05
2-03   Silhouette   3:20
2-04   Shabda   4:02
2-05   The Tempest   5:38
2-06   Harbinger Reprise   1:27
2-07   On My Heart   2:27
2-08   Aurora   3:38
2-09   Prophecy   2:59
2-10   On My Heart Reprise   1:08
2-11   Harmonia Mundi   3:10
2-12   The Other Side   1:27
2-13   Empyrean   1:57
2-14   Musica Universalis   6:14

This track, 02   Animus, has the same track number and title in the disc 01, the only difference is the disc number, but the app does not recognize as differents track, so it keep only one.

Does anyone know a filter or something for me to recover only these cases? I would rename these tracks to not have this confusion anymore.

Re: Help to find duplicates tracks in an album

Reply #1
Hi there,

There is no way to compare one track to another with title formatting within foobar, since it only works on a per-track basis.

You can Library > Search for each individual %title% HAS name, but that would take forever. In your example, faster to just group rename all the disc 2 tracks in one go - foobar can do that quickly with right-click File Operations > Rename, or right-click Properties > right-click Title > 'Format from other fields' option. Does the app actually index filenames or fields? Have you tried with the disc number in the filename? Or if the app is only indexing fields, perhaps you could contact your Cloud Player support and make a request to recognize %discnumber% field?

Cheers

Reply #2
Hi there,

There is no way to compare one track to another with title formatting within foobar, since it only works on a per-track basis.

You can Library > Search for each individual %title% HAS name, but that would take forever. In your example, faster to just group rename all the disc 2 tracks in one go - foobar can do that quickly with right-click File Operations > Rename, or right-click Properties > right-click Title > 'Format from other fields' option. Does the app actually index filenames or fields? Have you tried with the disc number in the filename? Or if the app is only indexing fields, perhaps you could contact your Cloud Player support and make a request to recognize %discnumber% field?

Cheers

The point is really to rename these tracks, but if I renamed all the discs 2 albums, it would be a lot, and then I would have to upload all again, it would be a lot of work. Besides that I will rename and leave an exclusive copy for Cloudplayer, I don't want to mess with my entire library. The disc number is already in the file name, I rename them all to differentiate, all the other players can recognize normally but this app only indexes by tags. I contacted them and they informed me that they know the problem and they are studying a way to change it, but to detect duplication they check all fields except the number of discs, which in this case differentiates the tracks.

Reply #3
Since this Cloud player bases its decision on tags, does it base that on a fixed set of tags or on the actually present tags?

Both ID2v3 (mp3) and Vorbis comments (FLAC) have a tag to differentiate between such tracks which almost seems like it exists for exactly such cases.

ID2v3 has a tag called SETSUBTITLE and Vorbis Comments has a tag called DISCSUBTITLE. Since your second disc has the same tracks as the first disc but is a registration of a live show, I would say, add that tag to your setup and for the second disc fill that with the Live At The Guggenheim value.

If that Cloudplayer is half as smart as you say it is, then it would be able to differentiate between the two sets of identical track names based on the extra information in either of the above mentioned extra tags.

personally I use MP3Tag for all my tagging purposes which allows user defined tag mapping so you'd only have the one field in the UI but the program would write the info to either SETSUBTITLE or DISCSUBTITLE depending on whether you're tagging an mp3 or a flac file. Foobar2000 sadly does not have such a two way mapping feature so if you do your tagging in Foobar2000 you are forced to make a choice using only one of the two tags for both mp3 and flac files (or whatever other formats you use)

If it only looks at the %tracknumber%/%artist%/%title% combo then your only other option would be to add that extra info to the %title% field.
It would require extra effort on your part, and additional 'uploading' but hey, if it skipped the second set as duplicate, it wasn't uploaded to begin with so there's no escaping that if you want both discs in the cloud.

About detecting such 'duplicates'. there's no simple way I guess, if you know there's a whole album in your collection with the exact same track layout and artist/title names you could use a filter like
(%artist% IS ...) AND (%album% HAS ... )  otherwise you're going to need to do that on a track by track basis e.g. (%tracknumber% IS ... ) AND (%artist% IS ...) AND (%title% IS ... )

Reply #4
OP needs to qualify what this Cloud player actually uses to uniquely identify tracks. Is it the filename, which happens to be in the format of '%album\%tracknumber% - %title%', or is the player reading the actual tags directly from the files, ignoring the filenames?

If its the first option, you can just rename all your files using the File operations component to a format that includes %discnumber% or something else that would properly differentiate the "duplicate" files from the perspective of the Cloud player (assuming you do have tags such as %discnumber% already tagged).

If that thing is reading the actual tags, a bruteforce solution might be to use the File operations component's move or copy option. Set it to copy your entire library in a format that will lead to duplicates, such as '%album\%tracknumber% - %title%'. I *think* foobar will attempt to move the files it can, but will generate an error log of files it could not have moved because they already exist at the target destination. These will be the duplicates you want to retag.

Test that theory on a small subset of files first and try not to mess up your original library with it.

Reply #5
Just FYI, this question was also posted to reddit with a pretty good solution to find duplicates easily using Facets (posted by u/DraevonMay). Never even thought of such an obvious method that it kind of smacks you in the face - "of course!"  ;D

Reply #6
OP needs to qualify what this Cloud player actually uses to uniquely identify tracks.
OP did, but it was kind of in passing...

...but this app only indexes by tags...

... Never even thought of such an obvious method that it kind of smacks you in the face - "of course!"  ;D
Obvious? ;D Way back when I first started using Foobar2000 I only had DUI before discovering ColumnsUI.
This also included Facets, still have it in a separate portable install. Just last week I launched that copy and it took me all of two days to get to grips again with how Facets works... totally not intuitive after years of using ColumnsUI... and still not fully gotten my head wrapped again around how it functions. One problem left to solve :D

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020