Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: exhale - Open Source xHE-AAC encoder (Read 43944 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: exhale - Open Source xHE-AAC encoder

Reply #475
Can confirm decoding issues in Foobar2000 while seeking with integrity verifier enabler for 1.0.8
or, foo_verifier buggy
Option "Verify integrity of played tracks and report error immediately" and this  error on seeking have nothing to do with foo_verifier.

Reply #476
on both Windows 10 (version 2004) with foobar2000 1.5.6 and Windows 7 (SP1) with foobar2000 1.6.1, the files play perfectly, including seeking.
Have you enabled File->Preferences->Playback->Verify integrity of played tracks and report errors immediately?
I use fb2k 1.6.2 on windows 7 and error is presented.

Reply #477
yes.
with enabled "Verify integrity [...]" option this error confirmed

Reply #478
Since foo_pd_aac is involved, we probably need @kode54 to look into this error

Reply #479
Oh, thanks for the info about that checkbox. Yes, now I get that error too on some seeks (not all, though), even with the files created with exhale 1.0.7 (and possibly all earlier versions). Yes, since xHE-AAC does not allow random access in every frame like AAC, I'd kindly ask Peter and kode54 to take a look at the decoder component.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #480
I already know there is no seeking accuracy. In fact, there isn't even any decoding consistency between any two given full decode runs of FDK-AAC. If someone wants to write a USAC decoder that produces consistent results and supports proper seeking, they're welcome to start from scratch, E: as FDK-AAC is literally the only open source USAC decoder in existence right now, all other solutions are proprietary decoder libraries that are often tied to the operating system.

Reply #481
Oh, thanks for the info about that checkbox. Yes, now I get that error too on some seeks (not all, though), even with the files created with exhale 1.0.7 (and possibly all earlier versions). Yes, since xHE-AAC does not allow random access in every frame like AAC, I'd kindly ask Peter and kode54 to take a look at the decoder component.

Chris

Check in my home with exhale-develop-1.1a-6fe06fa7_x64 all is right with option "a" (SBR) and vbr format include (great)
Check with foobar and win 7 (no sp1)
Two questions

1 You adds PS (Parametric stéro) function in your project ? (great this)   8)

2 for input formats, possible adds directly Flac format Because wav format is old, flac is used for many's  players, and many people have audio in this format (flac)

Regards,

Reply #482
You're right, kode54, and as long as I don't use that "verify integrity" checkbox and don't seek much (during usual casual listening, that is), it's not really much of a problem. I'm happy that I can listen to xHE-AAC files at all in foobar2000.

1 You adds PS (Parametric stéro) function in your project ? (great this)   8)
No, as I wrote several times (starting at https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=118888.msg980837#msg980837), that's too much work for me.
2 for input formats, possible adds directly Flac format Because wav format is old, flac is used for many's  players, and many people have audio in this format (flac)
No, but to encode directly from FLAC (or other formats) you can use foobar2000 (https://gitlab.com/ecodis/exhale#third-party-stdin-foobar2000) or e.g. Moisés Cardona's exhale GUI with FFmpeg (https://moisescardona.me/?s=exhale).

Edit: Thanks again, guruboolez, for the link to your bit-rate table!
I resumed my bitrate table (last tab):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18lGNoBB0ZB2A4SGAw3_z-5L7gzl54MG3D_V7tf2jII8/edit?usp=sharing

The computer will also run overnight. Two modes (a and c) are already completed: 39,1 kbps for music with a mode, and 56,9 kbps with c [6fe06fa7]. Audiobooks and stereo movies are even lower (32…34 kbps for a, and 50 for c).
I noticed in your results that, with SBR, exhale tends to undercode "noisy" music (like metal). I just found the reason for this behavior (some code was active only with 48 kHz but not with 44.1 kHz input) and fixed it. This affects modes b-g when the input sampling rate is 44.1 kHz. So could you please be so kind and rerun your script for modes b and c? O:) Mode a and all modes fed with 48-kHz audio should not be affected.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #483
Well, I have only 3 characters available (otherwise the header formatting would have to be changed), and I think all ARM versions since v8 from 2013 are 64-bit (are 32-bit versions still widely used?).

Btw, the exhale 1.1.0 RC1 gives identical results to 1.0.8 for all non-SBR modes when the input sampling rate is higher than 32 kHz. In case anyone is wondering whether they should already update.

Chris

You have a lot of devices still on 32-bit, that includes RPi (not all) and pretty much the complete range of Amazon tablets etc not to mention SoCs that doesn't target cheap as chips market like IMX-series etc or simply LTS.

Reply #485
Might be 'jumping the gun' here ( :D ) but Intel compiles of exhale-develop-1.1rc2-f1d66fb3 are below.

www.rarewares.org/files/aac/exhale-develop-1.1rc2-f1d66fb3_x64.zip

www.rarewares.org/files/aac/exhale-develop-1.1rc2-f1d66fb3_x86.zip

Reply #486
I noticed in your results that, with SBR, exhale tends to undercode "noisy" music (like metal). I just found the reason for this behavior (some code was active only with 48 kHz but not with 44.1 kHz input) and fixed it. This affects modes b-g when the input sampling rate is 44.1 kHz. So could you please be so kind and rerun your script for modes b and c? O:) Mode a and all modes fed with 48-kHz audio should not be affected.

Chris
Some RC2 modes are now completed. I only did some albums with a mode, and resulting bitrate is indeed always identical between beta 6fe06fa7 and RC2. Therefore I have four RC2 results in my table: a-b-c-d.
Average bitrate for music are:
mode amode bmode cmode d
39.1 kbps50.1 kbps59,0 kbps76,6 kbps
——+ 11,0 kbps+ 8,9 kbps+17,6 kbps

I don't know if it's easily feasible or not but I think that current presets should be better balanced. There's a big gap between mode c and mode d (60 → 76 kbps).  But the gap is twice shorter between mode b and mode c (50 → 59 kbps). Assuming that RC1 and RC2 are similar, the gap between de ≈ 9 kbps and ef ≈ 15 kbps.

Or is it intended?

EDIT: thanks John33 for the binaries :)

Reply #487
I have very close numbers to what Guru mentions.
I see that  SBR bitrates are 36+n*12 kbps and   I think humanity gets used to 48/64/80 kbps  :)
It's also worth to mention that HE-AAC's  SBR was useful up to ~72 kbps ... so maybe 48/64/72.

Anyway current formula 36+n*12 works  fine too.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020