Skip to main content
Topic: Boost bass to 0db like Electri-Q does (Read 393 times) previous topic - next topic

Boost bass to 0db like Electri-Q does

Hello,

I can measure the output level of my spdif using a miniDSP2x4HD. In its software I can monitor the peak in dbFS.

Electri-Q Equaliser in Winamp can boost the bass up to the maximum of 0db. Very nice.
With the foobar build in 18 band equaliser I can boost the bass only up to -2 db.

Why is the bass only be boostable up to -2db an not to 0db ?

The 32 band equaliser foo_dsp_xgeq produces distortion at a certain bass bost level, so it's not useable for me. I need the 0db signal for my bass shakers that tolerate a 0db signal.
So why driving shakers with a -2 db signal when you can have a 0 db signal that produces stronger vibration ?

Currently I do not reach 0 db with foobar :(

Replaygain ist boosted to +20 db (both sliders) for internet radios & mp3 with option "apply gain according to peak & prevent clipping".

Re: Boost bass to 0db like Electri-Q does

Reply #1
I tried Electri-Q with foo_dsp_vstwrap but that does not work. The output signal is not affected by equalizer changements.

Reply #2
IIRC: you need to add this VST wrapper into the list of Active DSPs.

Reply #3
@Andre0815:  I had just assumed you already did what Ivqcl just posted when responding to your posts in the thread here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=118802.0 .  Of course, you must have the wrapper in your active DSP list for it to work.

Reply #4
Oh I have added "George Yohng VST Wrapper" as active DSP and foobar now crashes when I try to adjust Electri-Q equalizer setting.

George Yohng ... is set as onliest active DSP.

May anybody of you can test Electri-Q if its running with George Yohng .. that would be nice:  http://www.pcjv.de/VST/Electri-Q_Install_1.8.8.exe

Reply #5
Maybe try foo_dsp_xgeq? It's also known to have a much smoother transition band across frequencies compared to the bundled equalizer.

Reply #6
Andre0815 wrote in TO:
The 32 band equaliser foo_dsp_xgeq produces distortion at a certain bass bost level, so it's not useable for me.

Reply #7
Oops. I can't read. It's also worth pointing out that any bass boost will produce distortion if it causes the total level of the signal to exceed ±1.0. You have to try more for reducing the rest of the signal, rather than boosting the bass.

Reply #8
May anybody of you can test Electri-Q if its running with George Yohng .. that would be nice:  http://www.pcjv.de/VST/Electri-Q_Install_1.8.8.exe 
    I have a pretty severe high-freq hearing loss and use Electri-Q to compensate in Foobar.
I think it's  a great equalizer, very transparent and i have detected no clipping, etc.   To that end, my curve is -10db, with max boost at 0db (as shown on the equalizer, I don't have any way to actually measure it.)    You can create any curve you desire with it.
   However, since the developer abandoned it, the program is very buggy - presets often don't work, and initial setup is not easy.
 Would be nice if the developer fixed the bugs, but I like it overall.
Works fine here with the Yeong wrapper.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020