Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: UPnP is working only on 2.4GHz band--can I get everything on 5GHz? (Read 1165 times) previous topic - next topic

UPnP is working only on 2.4GHz band--can I get everything on 5GHz?

Hi,

This morning Verizon replaced my router and now it is configured with two bands, 2.4GHz and 5GHz, with different SSIDs.  What I am finding is that I can use the UPnP components for server and output (foo_upnp and foo_out_upnp) only if my computer and receiver are both on the 2.4GHz network.  So, for example, if one or both devices are on the 5GHz network, the receiver will not see the UPnP Media Server (foo_upnp), and when I am able to select the receiver as output (foo_out_upnp) I get an error when I try to send playback to that output.  Interestingly, the receiver does see the Serviio server on my PC and will play the music even when one or both devices are on 5GHz.

Does anybody know why this is happening, and is there some way to get everything on 5GHz, or at least my computer?  I assume that that is a good thing.

I am using a Windows 10 Dell laptop and the receiver is an Onkyo TX-8270.  Before the switch, everything worked reasonably well.  I am happy to supply more details but I am not sure what else is relevant at this point.  Thanks!

Mark

Re: UPnP is working only on 2.4GHz band--can I get everything on 5GHz?

Reply #1
Well, what I said yesterday is not entirely correct: things will work if my computer is on the 2.4GHz network and the receiver is on the 5GHz.  But, in any case, I wired the receiver with an ethernet cable.  Again, things work fine if my computer is on 2.4GHz.  But if my computer is on the 5GHz network, the receiver can't see the server (foo_upnp), and, though foobar detects my receiver as renderer, listing it in Found devices, when I choose it as an output device (foo_out_upnp) nothing plays.

Why would these components not work if my computer is on the 5GHz network?  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Reply #2
What router do you have? Firmware up to date?

Is there any wireless Isolation option in it?

Can you ping the receiver from your computer when it's on the 5Ghz band\SSID?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3
Thanks for your thoughts!  It's a Fios-G1100 router.  I think that the firmware is likely up to date because the technician just installed it yesterday.  I looked to see if there's a way to update the firmware but, from what I read, only Verizon can do it.

I looked all through the router settings via my browser and I don't see anything about isolation.

Yes, I can ping the receiver.  (If it is relevant, I can see its configuration page in my browser too.)

I'm mystified! 

Reply #4
p.s.  The same thing happens with both the Onkyo receiver and the Sony Blu-ray player.  When I try to stream output to the Sony (foo_out_upnp), I get the error message "Unrecoverable playback error: Action SetAVTransportURI failed."  Perhaps that is a hint?

Reply #5
I got it.  For some reason, the Network profile (in Windows 10) for the 5G network was Public.  I changed it to Private and that solved the problem.  (The other networks don't even have a Network profile.  Not sure why this one does, but that was it.)  Thanks again to A_Man_Eating_Duck for your kind reply.