Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLI VS OUTLAW 2200 - (i need some advice) (Read 1724 times) previous topic - next topic

XLI VS OUTLAW 2200 - (i need some advice)

i need some advice ,after some recent noise issues with my amp an speaker a friend suggested that i go with the MODEL 2200 because of the high signal to noise ratio of 112db over the crown xli 800 sin ratio is 100db with Crosstalk (below rated power)
 At 1 -75 kHz At 20 kHz –59 dB  i cant find any

related data for the model 2200 other then the sin at 112db for comparision ,for ref my setup is this, iv got the 976 4k receiver paired with 4 crown xli 800 to drive my centers fronts an surrounds ,the fronts an centers are duel 8in drivers an sides are singal

8in (center is comprized of two rb-81 ii on ther side with the tweeters in the center ) i rarly use the eq unless extrem lfe bass is present in a film my subs are two 15in custom ported tuned at 17hz run off a xls1502  , but iv recently noticed some sril treble distorion with

my centers after upgrading to the xls 1002 from my xli (didnt really notice any with the xli),could this be do to the sin ratio an noise floor differences an would it be worth the invest to upgrade to the model 2200 for each of my speakers except my subs thers no issue with them 

Re: XLI VS OUTLAW 2200 - (i need some advice)

Reply #1
Are you sure the noise is coming from the amp?    Do you hear the noise with the inputs disconnected or  with the gain controls turned-down?

...100dB is pretty good and you can't always compare specs from different manufacturers because they use different measurement methods (and sometimes they fudge the results).   Plus, the Crown specs actually say greater than 100dB, and the Outlaw specs say A-weighted which will give "better numbers".

I think the acoustic fan noise is usually a bigger issue in home setups.

Don't worry about  crosstalk.    In the vinyl days 20dB of crosstalk from a phono cartridge was good.   The Outlaw amp doesn't have any crosstalk because it's mono, but that also means you'll need twice as many amplifiers!

iv recently noticed some sril treble distorion with my centers after upgrading to the xls 1002 from my xli (didnt really notice any with the xli),could this be do to the sin ratio an noise floor differences
You shouldn't get audible distortion from any  amplifier that's not broken unless you drive it into clipping and with the power you've got I doubt you're doing that "at home".    Amplifier clipping happens when you try to exceed maximum power.  

You hear noise at low volume or when there's only noise with no signal.   

Maybe you over-powered your tweeters and damaged them?   (A damaged tweeter could distort or "rattle" but it can't create noise by itself with no signal.)

Reply #2
im not sure if its the amp or the speaker but its not the receiver as far as i can tell i dont have any diagnostic gear
this is the method i did which might sound noobish but here goes

to make sure that it wasn't the receiver i swaped the amps from the center an the fronts first an gave a listen then swaped them back

then i connected the center output from the receiver to the fronts an the front outputs to the center

to see if it was any of the outputs from the receiver an still only got sril treble distor from the center reguardless of amp or receiver connection

now heres the conundrum the sril is more noticable with the xls over the xli which doesnt bother as much but is still present
which it didnt used to be at all, this is only with the center as far as i can tell by ear

i dont know if this means if its twoslightly defactive amps only noticable with my center or just is the center speaker its self ?   

just to note i made a mistake earlier my center speaker is not yet the two rb-81 that is a planed future upgrade

because i prefur the 1400Hz crossover i only have one pair of two rb-81 as my sides, my current center is the bic PL-28II an my fronts are the bic PL-89 , id like the  rb-81s for use as my centers but before i buy id like to sort out my current noise issue

because it is an amp issue rather then a speaker issue i would save$ towards a new amp an stay with my current center which before the sril distorsion was doing my ok , before the sril i was only planning to upgrade for better bass then the PL-28II

so if i could sort this that would help a lot 

Reply #3
dont know if this means if its twoslightly defactive amps only noticeable
Highly unlikely.

It's actually unusual for an amp to go "slightly bad".     Usually if they go-bad they go very-bad (a blown output-MOSFET or something like that).

If you listen loud it's possible that you blew the tweeter.    Speaker power ratings are complicated.   The tweeter in a "100W" speaker is supposed to handle the high-frequency energy from an amp that's "occasionally" hitting peaks of 100W with "normal program material" so the tweeter itself may only be able to handle 20W or so.  Probably less with continuous test-tones.    And, that's if you trust the manufacturer's power ratings...

Or, maybe that's just the normal sound for that particular speaker...

Reply #4
dont know if this means if its twoslightly defactive amps only noticeable
Highly unlikely.

It's actually unusual for an amp to go "slightly bad".     Usually if they go-bad they go very-bad (a blown output-MOSFET or something like that).

If you listen loud it's possible that you blew the tweeter.    Speaker power ratings are complicated.   The tweeter in a "100W" speaker is supposed to handle the high-frequency energy from an amp that's "occasionally" hitting peaks of 100W with "normal program material" so the tweeter itself may only be able to handle 20W or so.  Probably less with continuous test-tones.    And, that's if you trust the manufacturer's power ratings...

Or, maybe that's just the normal sound for that particular speaker...

THANKS